Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you who PM'd me about the 6 speed for XL's...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: For those of you who PM'd me about the 6 speed for XL's...

ORIGINAL: faber
For the price of a Baker 6 speed and labor (I wouldn't do it myself), I'd just put a down payment on a Fatboy or something and keep my Sporty for playing around town and after work. Wait...that's not a bad idea.....hmmmm......
hmmmmmmmm....... That does sound like a good idea.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:17 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: For those of you who PM'd me about the 6 speed for XL's...

ORIGINAL: jwb47

I dont use 6th gear alot ,but it is nice out on the interstate when I can cruise about 75-80 mph. it wouldnt be the key selling point for me on a bike purchase but im sure the driving conditions in southern illinois are alot different than phoenix . either way tearing the tranny apart and making something different than what it is now has to be worth half the cost , plus there wont be many like it when your done , have fun and enjoy.
Kinda my thoughts...I do alot of runs out of town during spring, summer, and fall here, so it's mostly highway at higher speeds. I also can't really agree with or see justification in buying a whole new bike for a single purpose like that. I love my Sporty, and I want to be able to ride it as long and as comfortably as possible.

I won't really pay anything for labor...cept maybe havin to hear my sister bitch a little bit when we're bustin' knuckles gettin it in. We're both good mechanics, and she's HD certified....and she's also a badass when it comes to lower ends on Sportsters (she can completely disassemble, rebuild, and tune a bike in ONE day). I'm also getting a huge price break because we're ordering the kit through Sucker Punch, so it's at dealer cost.

In all, I think it's entirely worth it. I'd rather spend the cash and install it on a freshly rebuilt motor than have to replace the entire lower end and possibly other top end parts when the engine craps out from wear and tear prematurely.

I am getting a BT, but it's more so I can cruise around with my girl and take her on some rides. She's actually INSISTING on it, lol. That and I really wanna build a big ol' hot-rod sled out of a Fatboy [8D]. That would just be too damn cool!