Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed oil, now have a rattling coming from the engine.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 10:17 PM
LS1vazquez
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed oil, now have a rattling coming from the engine.

I changed my oil at 2500 miles on my 2006 Harley Davidson Sportster 883. Now, because of circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to change it at the 1K mark, but I did change it at the 2500 interval. Since I am used to running synthetics with my cars, I decided to put in Mobil 1 Synthetic V-Twin oil. I drained the oil on the Sporty by the little tube, and refilled to the proper level. Fired it back up, and everything was fine.

Today I went on a ride with my friend, and while on the road I noticed a "rattle" coming from the engine. Now, it was really soft and not all obtrusive, but it was definetly different then the usual dull roar and "header tick" ping that I have known. Now, It freaked me a bit out because I don't want to think I've blown my engine at the 2500 mark, but after riding on it some more, I decided it definetly wasn't anything too bad.

One thing is that it wasn't constant. It seemed to come and go with the RPM's and I wasn't able to replicate all the time. Sometimes I could hear it at top gear at 55 MPH, other times I couldn't. It seemed like it made a difference what direction the wind was blowing from also. [:-] I suppose that makes me feel better... if something was wrong then I reason I would be hearing it all the time at all RPM's... right?

So, after reading the forum I found out that apparently I'm not the only one who's experienced this rattling. It seems like the bigger bikes also have this problem, but I wonder if the Sportster is prone to the same thing.

The synthetic probably has something to do with it also. It has been my experience that synthetics generally allow some valvetrain noise to come from the engine that the dead dino oil muffles.

Im not exactly sure what else I could go on, so Im wondering if anybody else has experience any wierd engine noises after break in.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Changed oil, now have a rattling coming from the engine.

883's are noisey, a lot of valve train noise. especially when you think you hear something that is different and "tune" in to it.13,000 noisey miles on 05 883C for me.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:18 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would monitor the noise. Sometimes I've traced noises that worried me to something stupid. For example, a buckle on my helmet that was slapping or the plastic key chain slapping or just wind noise from the visor of my helmet. It may also be something that's loose. I would keep my ear out for it and try to trace it. In all honesty I highly doubt you blew the engine. I don't think changing the oil at 2.5K instead of 1K did any damage.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:23 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree with 1200c

Old 02-03-2006, 11:27 PM
LS1vazquez
Novice

Yes, I highly doubt I did anything to it. I mean, I have had experience with some motors and it has amazed me how much abuse they can withstand.

Now, I had an old Buick GS with a 400 small block, and I blew the engine on that due to oil starvation... so yes, needless to say I know the evidence and the Sportster hasn't displayed any of that. One night after riding I kneeled down and started sniffing the engine to see if I could smell anything. AMAZINGLY, I didn't smell anything, even when I put my nose up to the heads. I don't know why I shouldn't have been surprised, because ideally thats what I should have expected. But still, you never know.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:26 AM
ronn39
Road Master

ORIGINAL: LS1vazquez

... One night after riding I kneeled down and started sniffing the engine to see if I could smell anything. AMAZINGLY, I didn't smell anything, even when I put my nose up to the heads. I don't know why I shouldn't have been surprised, because ideally thats what I should have expected. But still, you never know.
Little Johnny, pointing out the window to the neighbor across the street: "Hey, Mom, that noisy biker guy is down on his hands and knees sniffin' his motor!"

Mom: "Are you sure he's not just praying before he puts it to bed?"

Johnny: "No, Ma, he looks like he's sniffin' it."

Mom: "Well, Johnny, you know how excentric Mr. Vazquez is. Maybe he likes the smell of motor oil. Now go to bed!"

Old 02-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 02-04-2006, 02:20 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

rode my sporty all last week and it rattled like a deisel, so i downshifted and let er rip, nothing broke so i guess its pretty normal!

Old 02-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucio: If you really want to drive yourself crazy, go to the med supply store and buy a stethoscope. Pull the "for humans" cup off and replace it with a hard copper tube of about 1/4 inside diameter. Length doesn't matter. Find a small rubber protective cup made for wire cabinets and cut a hole in the end. Put that on the end of the tube that you will place on the engine. Warm up your engine and then start placing the tip of the metal tube at various places on the engine. Listen at idle and then at 1500 rpm and if you don't mind reving the engine a little more, at 2000 rpm. You can hear about everything that is going on in quite some detail. It will scare you at first, but the stethoscope is an amazing tool used right. I have never tried doing this at speed, but don't see why it wouldn't work assuming a very low traffic highway. Some mechanics use a long screwdriver held to one ear. That works but it will leave a mark on the touch points given the vibrations of the Harley engine.

You can find a valve tappet that is not working like the others in a minute. You can find air leaks in the intake system. You can hear piston slap if there is any. Multiple carbs are easy to balance by making the sound of the air rushing into the intake sound alike throughout the carbs. ......... BC

Old 02-04-2006, 03:39 AM
LS1vazquez
Novice

I love this forum.

Quick Reply: Changed oil, now have a rattling coming from the engine.