Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei Multitec - the review

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 06:33 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shoei Multitec - the review

(also posted on the 'blog at http://motorcyclemanifesto.blogspot....et-review.html )

I've finally had some time to clock some miles using my new Shoei Multitec helmet. This helmet replaces my Nolan N100E which suffered several years and well in excess of 50,000 miles of use, abuse, weather, drops, kicks, two visor changes, one bird and a golf-ball-sized rock. It owed me nothing and was due for retirement. I also tossed and shuffled around some other helmets and am now using less shelf space!

Anyway, where to start...? Hmm. Two things come to mind whenever you talk about helmets - after comfort, of course. Noise levels and weight. Let's start with the noise levels.

First, we have to agree that any noise, in any helmet while riding down the road being blasted by wind is bad. Hearing damage is cumulative over time and the quietest helmet is still many times louder than you should really be subjecting yourself to every day. Wear ear plugs. With that in mind, the Multitec is pretty quiet. Not quite as quiet as my Scorpion but way quieter than my HJC and the Nolan. Yes, I still want to wear ear plugs, even though I didn't wear them today. I mean, I'm obliged to bring you - the reading public - an honest review, right? Well, that and the fact that my new box of Howard Leight 33db ear plugs was in the trunk of my car which my son had at the gym this morning as I was leaving. Grumble, grumble... So yeah, the helmet is on the quiet side of the spectrum, but not the quietest.

Now let's talk about comfort. We'll get to the weight in a few minutes. This helmet fits me pretty well. I've been wanting one of these for about a year or so, since I first tried one on. Up until now I thought the Nolan was the most comfortable helmet I'd ever worn. This is right there. So, if your head shape fits well in a Nolan, there's a real good chance it will fit nicely into the Multitec, maybe even a little better. I also know that some of the comfort is due to the fact that this is 1) a NEW helmet and 2) a newly redesigned model and 3) A *very* expensive model. Creature comforts cost. I should also mention that I would have NEVER bought this helmet at full MSRP. It's not that it's not worth it, it's just that there are other less expensive alternatives available.

The features that this helmet provide are pretty basic. It's a good quality modular (flip face) helmet. It does not have a special, super easy to use chin strap a la The Nolan. Regular D-Rings, thanks. It does not have a fog-free shield with auto-tinting properties, a la Scorpion. It does not have an internal, drop-down sun visor, a la HJC's Symax II, etc. What it does have is a quality-built design with standard, familiar and comfortable to use classic features, and it provides a nice, one-handed flip-front that is easy to use and doesn't make you work hard to get open or to snap closed. I will admit to missing the ski-boot style clicker closure that the Nolan had, however I don't miss its bulk. That chin strap closure always caught on the collar of my Aerostich and made turning my head pretty interesting. The simple strap-and-D-ring style takes up much less room and is a fine, decades-old design that just works.

Now then, the weight. Let me point out that the Nolan is a bit heavy, as helmets go. Not the heaviest, but it's got some weight to it. I guess I figured that a little extra weight was just the way it is with modular helmets. I'm pleased to report that I was wrong about that. The Mutlitech is a featherweight. I barely even know it's there. And let me tell you, riding with such a light helmet is a true joy. I honestly don't think I've ever worn a helmet this light. I guess that's another benefit of the more expensive models; they're a bit more thought-out, perhaps. The helmet bounces around in turbulent air like any other helmet, but it's not throwing your head around from its own inertia and turning your head in the wind to look around

Old 03-21-2008, 07:47 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Default RE: Shoei Multitec - the review

Living in Florida Many times choose to ride without a Helmet but riding in GA and NC a lot Helmet is required and found Shoei to be a fine one if going to wear a helmet might as well wear a good one ...

Old 03-21-2008, 07:56 AM
LdyMjo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review Chornbe. The lightweight feature, looks,and other things sound good.I have a 3/4, though want a GOOD full face for longer rides. I'm going to check out a Shoei. It would also be fun to have one painted. And thanks for the plug on the plugs ! Doing that today... Thanks again, A.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:02 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I recieved my first helmet in over 30 years as a christmas present. My opinion is simple, it makes riding in the cold a little nicer, but when the weather is good I'll never wear it.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 AM
chornbe
Road Master

Uhm... ok

Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great, thorough, review. Thanks.

And to the anti-helmet folks, no need to throw in your comments about not wearing helmets in this thread. Some of us actually like wearing them, and can appreciate a good review that hits on all of the key points.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:21 AM
LdyMjo
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 3power

Great, thorough, review. Thanks.

And to the anti-helmet folks, no need to throw in your comments about not wearing helmets in this thread. Some of us actually like wearing them, and can appreciate a good review that hits on all of the key points.
+1

Old 03-21-2008, 06:31 PM
chornbe
Road Master

+2

I'm not spouting off about the cromagnon knuckle heads who DON'T wear protection, so... fair's fair

Old 03-22-2008, 07:43 AM
MADOGA
Cruiser

Just got myself a new Shoei TZR Matt Black $569 AU, looks and feels much better than my old rjays fullface, much lighter, havent had a chance to fully test it yet though
Shoei are supposed to be among the best helmets

Old 03-22-2008, 08:04 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review. Thanks for doing it. Its good to get reviews from people who are actually using the product.

Quick Reply: Shoei Multitec - the review