Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnuson Moss ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:25 PM
bhtx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnuson Moss ?

there was a thread earlier in the week that wondered on to this subject.

So I sit down in my "office" and grab a copy of the Enthusiast that HD puts out.

I open up to the readers letters and there isquestion labeled "Which Lube?".

The last part of the question states "Would I void the warranty if the lubricant is not specified in the HD owner's manual?

Here is the answer......

SYN3 is the only synthetic motor oil that does not impact your 24 month, unlimited mile factory warranty.And switching to SYN3 is easy because it isn't necessary to flush the compartments. Simply drain and refill. Ed.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Magnuson Moss ?

Since the enthusiast is an HD rag, of course they will do anything to fill peoples unsuspecting minds with this BS just to sell their overpriced citgo crap.
I wouldn't put HD Citgo anything in my bike even if they gave it to me....

By the way, here's a couple of exerpts from the Mag Moss act that explains why they cannot require you to use "their" oil...

What the Magnuson-Moss Act Does Not Allow
There are three prohibitions under the Magnuson-Moss Act. They involve implied warranties, so-called "tie-in sales" provisions, and deceptive or misleading warranty terms.

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.
[blockquote]
In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.[/blockquote]
While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.
[blockquote]
While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.[/blockquote]
Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.

Source: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../warranty.shtm

Old 03-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd say No way will using some other oil will viod the warrenty, But I'm also sure someone will tell us how wrong i am[sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 03-20-2008, 11:53 PM
bhtx
Tourer

What I want to know is.........Can I now get free fluids from HD since someone from the Company said it will "impact" my warranty.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:44 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

ORIGINAL: bhtx

What I want to know is.........Can I now get free fluids from HD since someone from the Company said it will "impact" my warranty.
No.

You can use anything you want; however, if a warranty issue arises that they refuse to correct under warranty, they will have to prove that your use of a product was inferior to their specifications as outlined and that the product caused or contributed to the failure under dispute.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:29 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

You will also find that your Owners Manual lists the acceptabe label designations and viscosities for the oil such as CF-4 20w50. If the oil meets or exceeds that standard your OK.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you read the next issue of Enthusiast,

You will see where they retracted that statement about HD oil being the only lubricant that will not void the warranty.

Seems Federal Law kinda Trumps this wishes of the MoCo.