Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please look at pictures for help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:48 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: please look at pictures for help!

Uhm... when you open up the airflow, the standard ECU mapping will be running lean. The stock mapping is very specific and when you change the air flow things should be recalibrated. Plus, a certain minimal amount of back pressure actually increases the feel of low-end power. Mucking with engine performance is a science.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:00 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: chornbe

Uhm... when you open up the airflow, the standard ECU mapping will be running lean. The stock mapping is very specific and when you change the air flow things should be recalibrated. Plus, a certain minimal amount of back pressure actually increases the feel of low-end power. Mucking with engine performance is a science.
Her bike is an 06. No ECU, has a carb.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Golfgurl,
You will need to re-jet the carburator with a stage 1 air cleaner. If you want a "true" stage 1 you need at least slip ons, air cleaner, rejet, high performance ingition, and high performance coil.
I'm not sure where people get that the stage 1 doesn't include coil and ignition. That would be stage 3/4, although many get away with this set-up in a satisfactory manner. Unless you are gonna be needing the extra RPMs you won't need the latter two for satisfactory operation.

The thunder monster baffles such as Ric27 mentioned are pricey but will give you the sound you are looking for with the backpressure you need.
Not knocking the cycleshacks but you already have SE slip ons. You just need "good" baffles for them. You could cut down the baffles you already have (instead of buying the thunder monster baffles) but I wouldn't suggest it in case you get pinched for a noise violation, you will need a set of quiet baffles to show John law you "fixed your noisey pipes".
The screamin eagle air cleaner will work just fine for the $$ but there are better ways to route the blowby oils and gunk than the screamin eagle set up offers. Do a search on here with the key words "blowby" or "oil from the air cleaner" to see more options.
As far as jet kits go you can go many different ways. The popular way to go is to buy the s0rgys kit from ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-2006-HARLEY-SPORTSTER-883-STAGE-1-RE-JET-KIT_
W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35557QQihZ006QQitemZ160 218427024QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
It is the simplest one to install (a trained monkey could do it) and also the cheapest. That set up works "OK".
I wanted more from my bike so I went with the Yost CV-40 master kit. I changed the spring, needle jet, pilot jet, main jet, emulsion tube and enlarged the vacuum hole in the slide to 1/8".I got mine from american classic motors for $89with free shipping off of ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CV-40-MASTER-KIT-REV-1-YOST-Power-Tube-HARLEY-PTR1_
W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQca tegoryZ35574QQihZ004QQitemZ140179041542QQrdZ1QQssp agenameZWD1V
This one I'd get a professional to install if you are not familiar with carburators, but the results will be well worth it!
Dynojet makes a similar fit but I do not know what all comes with the kit or what the install procedureinvolves. I believe kawsakimx6 had one installed inhis carb with good results.

Not trying to confuse you in any way but wanted you to know that there is many options out there. A little bit of research will go a long way. When you get your bike runningand sounding "right" you will understand what all the commmotion is about.
Take care and good luck.
Elliot.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:12 AM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys and your baffles.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:52 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As others have said, Put the baffles back in for now to get the performance back. Then decide to buy either new baffles for the existing SE's or get new slip-ons/new pipes for the sound & performance you want. Don't do the AC or re-jet until you decide on the pipe situation.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:44 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

ORIGINAL: chornbe

Her bike is an 06. No ECU, has a carb.
Ok, same rules apply. Rejetting rather than remapping. (wasn't EFI an option the previous few years? or was that just on the big-twins?)

Old 03-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

no EFI was never an option on the Sportsters. your only option is to get an 06 and older if you want a carb or an o7 and newer if you want fuel infection.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member

When I saw your post with a title that included the word "pictures"[sm=Flahssssss.gif] I was hoping for, well[sm=gobble.gif], nevermind..[sm=grinangel.gif]

Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 PM
x2lee
Banned

What you should do is put you baffles back in and ride. The bike was plenty strong for you already right? If you STILL want louder pipes and more power, well you are not that confused anymore huh?
Stage 1 with the pipes you want... You can change the pipes without doing the other upgrades but
you may run a little lean, you can check to see, I already told you how.

*and yeah BikerTrash a stage 1 has a hi perf ign and coil. Or its only a stage .05

Old 03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts

This thread is baffeling[sm=bangbang.gif]

Golfgurl, I have a service manual I can email you. Let me know