Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing my Baffles forced me to make changes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:43 AM
thruster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Removing my Baffles forced me to make changes!

Not true downzero, I have a race tuner that was tuned for the V&H open baffles but when I put the closed/quite ones in I noticed a big torque difference, in fact I picked up a gear. Where I was running in 4th at 60mph it now runs quite well in 5th with no chugging.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:48 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: downzero

ORIGINAL: 6o66er

I highly suggest putting SOMETHING in your pipes as far as baffles...

I just recently put the Big City Thunder baffles in my drags...WAY more power and much better sound. I never realized just how much I was losing til I installed those damn things...they're AWESOME!!!
Sounds like your fuel mixture was too lean to begin with.

I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people who gain power from installing baffles had previous fuel metering issues that became "bandaided" by installing them.
No, if you'd read on...I'm using 2" drags that previously had no baffles and no matter how I tuned it I lost power and had flat spots. Trust me, my bike was, still is, and always will be tuned right. The pipes were too free-flowing to not be running baffles. I'm waiting to see what happens after a dyno run once I install a bunch of new stuff this weekend...those baffles didn't bandaid anything...they honestly made a difference.

Most people with Sportsters only run 1 3/4" drags, 2" open pipes with a 1 7/8" ID are hard to tune on a stage 1 1200, without a doubt. You honestly can't find a jet kit that makes up for FULL 2" open drags on a stage one used for street riding that corrects power loss the way installing baffles and re-tuning can. It's not possible for the rpm range you're normally dealing with.

And for the record...I always run a TINY bit rich, to get a bit of after-burn to scare the kiddies and old people walking down the road.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:50 AM
Whiskey_williams
Cruiser

Ohhh I gotcha 666er. All I know is that Rush slip ons fit my 08 nightster and I want louder pipes without a considerable loss is power. If I can run 2.5 inch baffles that give me a good sound that wakes up the niehgboors but I can still destroy that Suzuki intruder, I'm good to go, haha!

Old 03-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Golfgurl
Cruiser

I am soooo confused.. I think I will pull all my red hair out!

What if I put pictures.. will that help???

Old 03-18-2008, 09:10 AM
TigerofH
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Golfgurl

I don't see how pics of you pulling your hair out could help, but if you feel the need don't let me stifle your creativity.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:52 PM
TommyF
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Whiskey_williams

thanx man!I'm leaningtowards the Rush slip ons, but the baffle size I want is 2.5 inch.
I rode with a buddy that had Rush slip ons. I just installed Vance and Hines straight shot slip ons. He thinks mine sound a lot better. Have you looked into them at all?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:12 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, on my SportyI ran 2" drags, no baffles, a Super E with a Thunderjet and a SE race ignition. The bike screamed and I never had any torque issues despite my 215lb weight.

Yes, open drags will produce a dip in the torque curve, yes larger diameter pipes will enhance the dip. Riding style does play a role in how a bike is tuned and what components should be used.

For GG, I would suggest working at increasing low to mid torque. Open pipes aren't the best choice for you. You are not going to be revving the bike to 6k rpms or power shifting. Torque is the friend of the short shifter.

If you like loud then you have to compromise on low end torque. But whatI consider "low end" in rpms is probably different than what a lot of people consider "low end".

A broad flat torque curve works best for the majority of riders. That means that you need back pressure. I can live with a torque curve that is a little low on the left side so long as the hp's are up on the right side of the dyno sheet, but most people will disagree with me.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:21 PM
HaggisMan14
Cruiser

Changing out the air cleaner and jets will help flow a bit, but without having the baffles in there, you will lose backpressure in the exhaust, and lose power. So even though you're going to fix up the intake, it won't fix your exhaust problem....you'll still see/feel a loss in tq.

As 6o66er said, there are many versions of baffles, i've never heard them in person, but the big city thunder baffles are supposed to be really nice...maybe do a search for some sound clips.

Marc

Old 03-18-2008, 03:26 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Golfgurl

Don't lose it on us.

A few simple rules on exhausts, torque and riding styles.

1. A pipe with no restriction (ie. baffles) will make good high rpm horsepower but with a sacrifice of lower end torque (ie. chuggability).

2. An exhaust with good backpressure (ie. baffles) will make better lower end torque at the sacrifice of high rpm horsepower.

3. Less aggressive riders benefit from a bike with good low end torque because they rarely get intothe higher rpm range and tend to shift earlier than a more aggressive rider.

I know that you like how the bike sounds with the baffles out but you will either have tolive with the torque loss or go back to running the baffles.

Installing a less restrictive intake (ie.SE setup) will help a little but you aren't going to eliminate the low end loss with it.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:06 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1.-2. No, youre gonna lose your MIDRANGE torque without baffles not your low range. Youre gonna lose torque where you feel it most, right in the sporties power band, 3-4.5k. Yeah yer right about the high end but the high end is 5k-6k and we aint drag racing most of the time ehh? As to 3. Nope, by the time the open baffles would assist you with power youre already out of power band and you should have shifted gears. Open baffles are basicly no help on the street period.
well... unless you are WFO over 100 mph.

And... if you cant feel a drop in mid range torque with open pipes yer butt dynos broke.
ORIGINAL: The Baron

1. A pipe with no restriction (ie. baffles) will make good high rpm horsepower but with a sacrifice of lower end torque (ie. chuggability).

2. An exhaust with good backpressure (ie. baffles) will make better lower end torque at the sacrifice of high rpm horsepower.

3. Less aggressive riders benefit from a bike with good low end torque because they rarely get intothe higher rpm range and tend to shift earlier than a more aggressive rider.

I know that you like how the bike sounds with the baffles out but you will either have tolive with the torque loss or go back to running the baffles.

Installing a less restrictive intake (ie.SE setup) will help a little but you aren't going to eliminate the low end loss with it.

Quick Reply: Removing my Baffles forced me to make changes!