Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STUPID ME..... the rust found me....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:04 PM
OWTKAST cpt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STUPID ME..... the rust found me....

So i got my nightster last summer. And I live in the lovelt midwest. Well i stored my bike for the winter and always used proper cleaners. DUMB me did not realize i should have some "wax" on my spokes and chrome to keep from rusting.

Well i pulled my bike out today and there is rust on my spokes and even some showing on other places.

Needless to say i am VERY unhappy. And its mainly the rear wheel not the front. And I always dried it with a blower.
OWell just venting.

Not to mention I have been waiting a month for my short shots that still havent came in.

Darn warm weather getting me all excited.

SO i was thinking of getting some wheels for my nightster. Like some tribal spike looking things?? I dont really know. Any ideas??

Thanks for reading my useless Yapping

Old 03-16-2008, 06:02 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: STUPID ME..... the rust found me....

Wax won't stop rust. If it is a concern next winter, spray 'em with WD-40 or the S100 protectant.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bike was fine when I pulled it out of the basement this year, but when I started it for the first time after it's wash it blew rusty water all over my sprocket. [:@] anyone know how to clean the factory sprocket off a nightster? It's half black with a polished ring in the middle and the bare aluminum is tarnishing. I dont wana mess up the black but i wana spiff up the aluminum.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 PM
x2lee
Banned

Bummer... I dont know about your wheel choice, I have a cast rear wheel but I would rather have a spoke like my front. You can clean that rust off with steel wool prolly...
ORIGINAL: OWTKAST cpt

So i got my nightster last summer. And I live in the lovelt midwest. Well i stored my bike for the winter and always used proper cleaners. DUMB me did not realize i should have some "wax" on my spokes and chrome to keep from rusting.

Well i pulled my bike out today and there is rust on my spokes and even some showing on other places.

Needless to say i am VERY unhappy. And its mainly the rear wheel not the front. And I always dried it with a blower.
OWell just venting.

Not to mention I have been waiting a month for my short shots that still havent came in.

Darn warm weather getting me all excited.

SO i was thinking of getting some wheels for my nightster. Like some tribal spike looking things?? I dont really know. Any ideas??

Thanks for reading my useless Yapping

Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 PM
SteveInCA
Cruiser

Sucks to hear about the rust. I'd be careful when putting new wheels on a Nightster, i think any other type wheel other than the stock looking spokes may look awkward on it. Then again it's all about what you dig so my opinion means nothing.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 PM
txoval
Road Captain

You can clean the aluminum on the sprocket with brasso. Put a small amount on a rag and it will polish it up quickly

Old 03-16-2008, 07:06 PM
txoval
Road Captain

You could always have your rims (spokes) powdercoated like others have done. Black spokes would look nice

Old 03-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

shhhhh..... don't tell the rust where I live.... [8D]

Old 03-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

never heard of brasso, I'll have to try and find some, thanks

Old 03-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Bradley Jones

My bike was fine when I pulled it out of the basement this year, but when I started it for the first time after it's wash it blew rusty water all over my sprocket. [:@] anyone know how to clean the factory sprocket off a nightster? It's half black with a polished ring in the middle and the bare aluminum is tarnishing. I dont wana mess up the black but i wana spiff up the aluminum.

XL100 bike wash should clean it up nice,maybe some alum. polish on the bare alum.

Brasso would work well too, it's a metal polish and you can get it almost anywhere

Quick Reply: STUPID ME..... the rust found me....