Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive spring problem 'defferent lengths'

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:53 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 365 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Progressive spring problem 'defferent lengths'

I went out to install my new springs and refill with new oil. Now my sunday is shot. I drop in the springs and add 11.6 oz of oil. I then put in the washer and then the spacer, but on one side the spacer sticks up about 3/16" higher. Both spacers are the same length. I'm thinkig that maybe some thing is in the way at the bottom of the tube. Now the only thing I can do is pull the springs back out. I did and oil got all over the bike and my rag gets soaked with oil. So now I dont even know how much oil is left inside the tubes.
I dry off the new springs and set them side by side, and one is shorter then the other. My stock springs I took out are both the same lenghth. Is different lenghth springs with Progressive normal? Would it be o.k. to just cut down one of the spacers to make up the differnce?Did any of you that put in Progressive springscheck to see if they was the same length? Or maybe I will just have to wait until tuesday and call Progressive on this.
As for the oil, I have no idea how to gauge the oil level. I have the HD service manual but that seems to be written for mechanics, not idiots like me. Any one have advice on all of this...Thanks.
Gary.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:20 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Progressive spring problem 'defferent lengths'

disregard this post

Old 03-16-2008, 02:39 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Dude...He said he took them out and layed them side by side and they were different.

My guess is one of them is the wrong lengh. Compare them to the stock springs and notify the company that you received two different springs in the same box.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

It will be interesting to see what Progressive says. In any event you were supposed to put the fluid in before the springs. This doesn't help your problem but this will help you put the correct amount of fluid in when you get the correct springs or if you can in fact cut down one of the spacers to give you the same preload. The correct oil level is 5.75 inches from the top with no springs in and the forks collapsed.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:33 PM
jharp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think both springs should be the same size. We just changed out my sons Sporter with progressive springs, they were both the same size.

Jim

Old 03-16-2008, 03:35 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: Terp84Alum

It will be interesting to see what Progressive says. In any event you were supposed to put the fluid in before the springs. This doesn't help your problem but this will help you put the correct amount of fluid in when you get the correct springs or if you can in fact cut down one of the spacers to give you the same preload. The correct oil level is 5.75 inches from the top with no springs in and the forks collapsed.
Say What? Where did you get this info.???

Old 03-16-2008, 03:37 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dry off the new springs and set them side by side, and one is shorter then the other. My stock springs I took out are both the same lenghth. Is different lenghth springs with Progressive normal? Would it be o.k. to just cut down one of the spacers to make up the differnce?
Boththe progressive fork springs are suppose to be the same length. Although when compared to stock both are shorter than stock. However, they are still suppose to be equal in length. You need to call progressive to fix this. No, it is not ok to just run it like that. The shorter spring will be stiffer with all else being equal. You will have different spring rates in each fork, which is not what you want.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

It's on the Progressive site but I got it off of the XL Forum site. Are you saying this is incorrect?

Old 03-16-2008, 03:54 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Yea, from anyones I know of. See the last 1/2 of this thread.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_3036111/tm.htm

Old 03-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

Couldn't find what you were referring to but Progressive states that the measurement should be performed with the springs removed and the distiance should be no less than 5.5 inches. I rechecked the post over at XL Forum and they're info jives with Progressives.

Quick Reply: Progressive spring problem 'defferent lengths'