Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive spring problem 'defferent lengths'

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 05:15 PM
liddown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Progressive spring problem 'defferent lengths'

ORIGINAL: Terp84Alum

Couldn't find what you were referring to but Progressive states that the measurement should be performed with the springs removed and the distiance should be no less than 5.5 inches. I rechecked the post over at XL Forum and they're info jives with Progressives.

Your correct that the measurement is without the springs installed... However if you read the Street Spring installation PDF on the Progressive site it clearly states that the oil level (without the springs installed should NOT be over 5.5" / 140mm which they list as the maximum oil level...

Old 03-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Higher than 5.5 (closer to the top). My 5.75 makes the level .25 lower.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:49 PM
liddown
Cruiser

[sm=deal.gif] Good Point...... Correct you are under by .25.... I was standing on my head thinking about this..

So did you measure the fluid level with the forks installed in the trees?

Old 03-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

Yes. Leave the forks on the bike and lower your lift to compress them.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:01 PM
liddown
Cruiser

Funny thing is that the level measurement is taken with the fork tube perfectly vertical (not at the rake as when installed in the trees)... So I was just curious how the level changes as the installed tube is at an angle....

Old 03-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

Good question. I don't know the answer to that but my understanding is that you can install the Progressive fork springs without removing the forks. I'm getting ready to do it in the next couple of weeks. The info I have provided is from a Sportster forum where a ton of people have done it this way.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 365 Likes on 254 Posts

O.K. on this oil thing in HD 06 service manual, pg 1-50 there is 2 ways to fill with oil 'number 1'{ FILLING FORK OIL :FORKS ASSEMBLED,IN FRAME} This is with bike blocked up, springs in, add 11.6 oz oil, tighten the cap back on and lower bike to ground. That is the way I'm doing my bike when I get my spring problem fixed. 'number 2 {FILLING FORK OIL :FORKS DISASSMBLED, OUT OF FRAME } With spring out. fork compresed Hold fork tube upright, add approx 12 oz of oil, adjust oil level to 5.75 in from the top. put the spring back in, tighten cap, assemble fork, and install back in frame.
The only Sportster that is different for the 06 year is 883L.
I will ask Progressive if there springs will change how much oil to put in...

Old 03-16-2008, 07:53 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will ask Progressive if there springs will change how much oil to put in...
Not on sportster. Progressive says to use an oil level no higher than 5.5". The Harley spec is 5.75" Now you look at that and say 5.75" > 5.5". However, the measurement is from the top of the forks. So by that 4.5" from the top of the forks would be too much oil.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:56 PM
hogsport
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Terp84Alum

Good question. I don't know the answer to that but my understanding is that you can install the Progressive fork springs without removing the forks. I'm getting ready to do it in the next couple of weeks. The info I have provided is from a Sportster forum where a ton of people have done it this way.
Terp,
that si how I changed my fork springs.I did not change the oil, just was careful to keep everything clean andused the steps you saw on Progressive's instrudtions to check the oil level.

OP needs to check with Prog to see whick springis incorrect - I would re-instal the stock springs until replacement arrives.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:44 AM
XLXR
Novice

The service manual gives 2 specs for filling the forks. The distance from the top is measured with the forks vertical (off the bike), springs out, forks compressed. The rake of the fork tilts the oil level. Fill a glass half full of water and tilt it sideways to see this.

The oz spec, which varies with short suspension bikes, is used after all the oil is drained out of the forks, be sure to pump the forks and let them drain for awhile. After the forks are completely drained, just add amount of oil specified.

You can add a bit of oil, 1 oz for low bikes, 2 ozs for tall bikes to prevent bottoming. The exact amount will depend on the number of coils of the spring under the oil level, and is best determined by test riding with a plastic tie on the forks to compare with maximum travel available.

It is not uncommon to have slight differences in spring lengths. But 3/16" is a bit much.

Quick Reply: Progressive spring problem 'defferent lengths'