Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took Baffles out of my pipes.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008 | 04:09 PM
Golfgurl
|
Cruiser
Default Took Baffles out of my pipes.....

I wanted it to be LOUDER!!! So I took out the baffles.... does sound really sexy.

But after reading another post, I realized that may not be a great idea?

When coasting or downshifting.. it sometimes pops, (BUT I LIKE THAT SOUND)!
Is that a BAD thing???? Will removing the baffles ruin my bike?

Old 03-15-2008 | 04:37 PM
Whiskey_williams
Cruiser
Default RE: Took Baffles out of my pipes.....

how did you remove them? On my old bike I had to use a hole saw and cut them out...

Old 03-15-2008 | 04:54 PM
x2lee
Banned

Removing the baffles is gonna cause it to run leaner, its already lean from the factory, you are also gonna lose some power due to less backpressure. The leaner running the bike is the hotter it runs and better chance of pinging when its under a strain, = bad.
You should prolly at least get it remapped. IMO baffleless pipes sound very metallic and cheap.
I think you would be happier with some nice sounding loud pipes. Either way tho you most likely will need a remap, you might as well get a aircleaner and a SE ign module and have a complete stage 1
if you are gonna get a remap because if you add that stuff on later you will have to have it re remapped [8D]

ORIGINAL: Golfgurl

I wanted it to be LOUDER!!! So I took out the baffles.... does sound really sexy.

But after reading another post, I realized that may not be a great idea?

When coasting or downshifting.. it sometimes pops, (BUT I LIKE THAT SOUND)!
Is that a BAD thing???? Will removing the baffles ruin my bike?

Old 03-15-2008 | 05:05 PM
Mandog
Road Master

ORIGINAL: x2lee

Removing the baffles is gonna cause it to run leaner, its already lean from the factory, you are also gonna lose some power due to less backpressure. The leaner running the bike is the hotter it runs and better chance of pinging when its under a strain, = bad.
You should prolly at least get it remapped. IMO baffleless pipes sound very metallic and cheap.
I think you would be happier with some nice sounding loud pipes. Either way tho you most likely will need a remap, you might as well get a aircleaner and a SE ign module and have a complete stage 1
if you are gonna get a remap because if you add that stuff on later you will have to have it re remapped [8D]
Wow x2lee...I actually agreed with you? LOL ...Only other thing I would add to x2lee is your gonna cook your valves on a 06 without that remap.

Old 03-15-2008 | 06:26 PM
jeramy
Banned

since it is an 06 i asume that means carb.rejet it

Old 03-15-2008 | 06:44 PM
Ultra_Bob
Tourer

I just hammered a 5/8 form stake up through the stock mufflers on my wifes brand new Nightster (6 miles on the engine).
Took it for a7 mile highway rideand didn't have any problems with running hot, pinging or popping on decel.
I thought opening up the mufflers was ok and a download wasn't needed unless you changed to a free flow air cleaner.
I'm running modified exhaust on my '08 Dyna, no problems there either.
Anybody know for sure about having to get a download for running free flowing exhaust with stock air cleaner?

Old 03-15-2008 | 07:22 PM
Doug45601
Road Master

Older Harley mufflers used to have a pressed in plug (pre-99) in the mufflers and you could just puch it out... Didn't really remove the baffles, just let a little more exhaust through.. No real harm and it gave it a little fatter, deeper sound.. After 98, the mufflers didn't have the puch out type disk plug and you would have to actually puch a hole in the center as mentioned above... Still no problem on the short Sportster mufflers.... But, on a bagger with the longer mufflers and doing the same deal, you would get some popping when backing off the throttle as unspent fuel has reduced back pressure.

The newer Sportsters should still have little or no problem with just puching a hole through the baffle but completely removing them will set up a very lean problem and popping and cracking.... although sounding cool is actually harmful and now the valves could carbon up along with the plugs unless the carb is re-jetted and stage 1 type breather is installed.... I've been there, done that and learned by being stranded as I had the bike so carboned up that it wouldn't start after I stopped for lunch about 40 miles from home... Had to seek out some new plugs to get her home.. SO take a spare set of plugs with you and a wrench if you don't re-jet the carb and do a stage 1...

Old 03-15-2008 | 07:49 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Mandog

ORIGINAL: x2lee

Wow x2lee...I actually agreed with you? LOL ...Only other thing I would add to x2lee is your gonna cook your valves on a 06 without that remap.

The only time you need to rejet or remap would be changing the A/C /intake flow. Changing exhaust will change nothing with the fuel mix.

Hell, 06's don't even have electronicfuel injection.

Rock on Golf Girl!

Old 03-15-2008 | 08:52 PM
Brian1362
Advanced

Glad to see you are still here after the storm from last night.

Old 03-15-2008 | 11:35 PM
x2lee
Banned

Taking out the baffles is worse than just a new set of pipes IMO. It might not need a remap but it is gonna run leaner than the already lean factory setup. So its gonna run hotter. I wouldnt run mine like that but its not my bike...

Shes already said she can afford to do it right so I was just making a suggestion.

Quick Reply: Took Baffles out of my pipes.....