Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took Baffles out of my pipes.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008 | 11:48 PM
mgg126x
Advanced
Default RE: Took Baffles out of my pipes.....

I took my baffles out about a year ago. I love how it sounds. Ive talked to a few indies and dealership people and they say a lot of people think it will hurt the engine but it doesnt. Now that I have had the baffles out, I hate how it sounds if i put them back in.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48801/A2BDD573F99A4A979F1CD53BF6DF8DF7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48801/A759925C73C2424BAE212CFAE6A764C4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-16-2008 | 12:18 AM
Whiskey_williams
Cruiser

It probably doesn't count for much seeing as how my last bike was a Suzuki Boulevard M50 but in the forum I used when I had it, pretty much everyone had debaffled, including myself,and had it that way for years. no one ever had problems, maybe alittle more lean, but nothing more. They ran thousands of miles debaffled and everything was fine. I wanted to debaffle my Nightster but was worried about warrant issues. On my old bike, I COMPLETELY REMOVED the baffle from the pipes, and eventually I removed the Mickey Plates as well, giving me straight pipes. Big straight pipes. It sounded real good, but it didn't sound likea Harley. If you get the baffles all the way out that sucker would sound pretty damn good. Te "correct" methd for debaffling was to use two hole saws and cut a doughnut shape around the baffle, then stick a broomstick in the baffle and wiggle it around to weaken the welds, then grab it with vice grips and twist it out. I drilled a bunch of large holes around the baffle, cut the space in between with tin-snips, then did the broomstick method. Took awhile but it sounded good. If you have the tapered pipes you're probably outta luck though.

Old 03-16-2008 | 06:51 AM
thruster
Tourer

Taking out the baffles ISNT going to make it run lean as the fuel is already burnt before it gets to the pipes.

Old 03-16-2008 | 07:23 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: thruster

Taking out the baffles ISNT going to make it run lean as the fuel is already burnt before it gets to the pipes.

Correct!

As for taking the baffles out, it's easy. just cut around the inside diameter of the pipe and they will slide right out. The only down side is a slight decrease of low end torque.

Old 03-16-2008 | 08:08 AM
Batley
Road Captain

I punched a hole in my original pipes for better sound and found I didn't likeit, so I bought different pipes. My 06 had a cat. in the front pipe that looked like honeycomb, which was so thick I don't know how the exhaust even flowed out. I would go with slipons if the sound is all your looking for and you won't have to do anything else. You can always upgrade the A/C down the road if you want.

Old 03-16-2008 | 01:52 PM
Doug45601
Road Master

All Harley's are factory tuned with the pipes and mufflers installed.. The carbs are pre-set on a work bench before installed on the bikes then once installed and engine started.. EGT is measured at the tail pipe along with emissions and if all are within range the bike is moved on for final assy. If not in range the bikes are side tracked for adjustments before moving on to final assy. That being said, Carb's (older bikes) and FI systems are pre-set to match the engine exhaust with mufflers being used.

Removing the baffles does change the mix! An engine does need back pressure if the fuel mix is not also to be adjusted! Baffles are not just to quiet the sound.. In fact too much baffle will choke the engine down to stalling... Not enough back pressure will allow the engine to run hot and could burn up exhaust valves. A fuel mixture adjustment is needed if the back pressure is allmost non-existant!

For thoes who don't concur with the backpressure issue, well that's fine as it's your bike and your choice and your conclusions.. Many opnions are posted here, some based on fact, some based on experience, and some based on a guess. But, if you ever take a bike into be dyno'd you will quickly learn that backpressure drops require fuel/air mixture adjustments to compensate. If you experience burn exhaust valves, ask yourself "what causes that?"
'

Old 01-02-2009 | 01:56 PM
sportster 883
Novice
Default removing baffles.

Im in need of some higher experience advice...This is my first bike and i decided to go with a 1990 sportster 883..And now after riding I have decided its not loud enough, i don't want to drill any holes in the exhaust. But was thinking about grinding down the baffle tack welds and see about twisting and pulling the baffle out..Or thought about just knocking out the screens in the muller to get a louder sound..does anyone have any advice for me...can also email me at johnnychimpo14@aol.com
-Nick thank you..

Old 01-02-2009 | 02:04 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by sportster 883
Im in need of some higher experience advice...This is my first bike and i decided to go with a 1990 sportster 883..And now after riding I have decided its not loud enough, i don't want to drill any holes in the exhaust. But was thinking about grinding down the baffle tack welds and see about twisting and pulling the baffle out..Or thought about just knocking out the screens in the muller to get a louder sound..does anyone have any advice for me...can also email me at johnnychimpo14@aol.com
-Nick thank you..
Buy an aftermarket set of pipes. you can get drag pipes for the nightster starting under 100 bucks and they are plenty loud.

Old 01-02-2009 | 02:22 PM
sportster 883
Novice

so you think just finding a brand new set up pipes would be easier than messing with the baffle.. Will i need to rejet the bike with new pipes..or any other kinda remaping or tuning after putting the pipes on..

Old 01-02-2009 | 09:36 PM
Sundog
Cruiser

Quick Reply: Took Baffles out of my pipes.....