Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metzler 880 or Avon Venom?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Pitts2112
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metzler 880 or Avon Venom?

I'm getting rid of the original Harley Dunlop tires on the Sporty, even though they have less than 5,000 miles. I just don't trust them and it effect the confidence I have on my bike, especially in corners. I had the bike start to slide out from under me in a turn one day and after that I just can't get the idea out of my head that they'll do it in every turn.

I've read a lot here about Metzler and Avon and comparing them each to the Dunlops, but what I haven't been able to get a handle on from any of the posts is if there's any difference between these two. Does one have better grip or wet surface performance than the other? I know they're both reputed to be grippier than the Dunlops, but what I can't seem to find is anyone who's posted with experience of both of these brands who can compare.

Anyone have a view before I pull the trigger on the order?

Old 03-14-2008, 04:16 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Metzler 880 or Avon Venom?

ORIGINAL: Pitts2112

I'm getting rid of the original Harley Dunlop tires on the Sporty, even though they have less than 5,000 miles. I just don't trust them and it effect the confidence I have on my bike, especially in corners. I had the bike start to slide out from under me in a turn one day and after that I just can't get the idea out of my head that they'll do it in every turn.

I've read a lot here about Metzler and Avon and comparing them each to the Dunlops, but what I haven't been able to get a handle on from any of the posts is if there's any difference between these two. Does one have better grip or wet surface performance than the other? I know they're both reputed to be grippier than the Dunlops, but what I can't seem to find is anyone who's posted with experience of both of these brands who can compare.

Anyone have a view before I pull the trigger on the order?
Actually, I put on Pirelli Sport Demons and they are ROCKING. I can dive this thing into way, WAY deeper turns than I ever dared with the crappy OEM dunlops. But in the end, they're still bias ply tires *thumbs down*

From previous experience with the ME880s, they're a good tire and have good adhesion, wet or dry. You won't go wrong with them. I have no personal experience with the Venoms, but I ran other Avons on my sport & sport touring bikes and always liked them. They were shorter-duration tires, but that's the name of the game with heavier sport-touring bikes and sport radials.

Also, you could try using the Avon Azaro ST tires; they make them to fit the Sportster (if you have the 19" front rather than the 21" front). They'll change everything you think you know about a "good" tire. They're going on after these Pirellis are dead; I didn't realize the sizing was available for the 19" wheel until after the Pirellis were already bought and mounted up

Old 03-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

When I'm out on the country roads, I ride pretty hard(I keep it at speed limits with no hot-******* in and around town because the cops are into some heavy-duty fund raising around here).

I have to say that I've never felt anything but good about the OEM Dunlops. Maybe that's because they're all I've ever used. I have been reading some really good things about the Metzler 880's and am thinking of giving them a try. They sound (from what I've read) about the same as the Avon Venom's when it comes to grip, but they seem to have a longer life.

Whatever you decide upon, please give us a comparison report to the Dunlops, as well as your overall impression of what you get.

Keep the shiny side up!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:40 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a rider safety course instead of differnt tires?

Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

From my experience, tire brands are not your main problem when it comes to handeling in the corners. The skinney 21" tire on the Custom was not designed for carving turns. That's why I changed mine to the fatter 19". The difference is night and day.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:08 PM
tweakin
Road Master

When I was doing some research of my own prior to building some new wheels. Almost every custom wheel builder I spoke with recommended Metzler.

I was told the Metzlers were a bit harder compound and wore better than the softer Avon's. Both are good tires just vary a bit.

I bet if you asked 20 different people you would get 20 different opinions.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Jsalinger
1st Gear

I agree with tweakin. Everybody has an opinion and here is one more. I ride with the Avon Venom X tires and love them, stock dunlops were not bad. So far 5k on my avons and wearing better than the stock dunlops. They grip better, surprisingly even in the rain, as I have been stuck a few times riding in the pouring rain (If you can say southern Ca has pouring rain), I rode a friends bike with Metzler's, didn't feel much difference from the avon's, but in my opinion not quite as sticky, and don't look quite as good, plus I didn't see a metzler 160 for the rear end, which IMHO is an awesome upgrade in the looks department. Good luck in whichever you choose and ride safe.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 PM
DannyNucclz
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Jsalinger

I agree with tweakin. Everybody has an opinion and here is one more. I ride with the Avon Venom X tires and love them, stock dunlops were not bad. So far 5k on my avons and wearing better than the stock dunlops. They grip better, surprisingly even in the rain, as I have been stuck a few times riding in the pouring rain (If you can say southern Ca has pouring rain), I rode a friends bike with Metzler's, didn't feel much difference from the avon's, but in my opinion not quite as sticky, and don't look quite as good, plus I didn't see a metzler 160 for the rear end, which IMHO is an awesome upgrade in the looks department. Good luck in whichever you choose and ride safe.
I just got a 160 rear ME880 for my sporty, there out there and awesome. ME880 all the way.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:35 AM
hogsport
Road Master

Don't know about th Avons. I have the ME880 160 on the rear, seems to be significantly stickier, also has less "searching" on groved pavement.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Pitts2112
Road Captain

Thanks, everyone. What I take from this is that there probably isn't too much difference between the Metz and the Avon. I'm going to go with the Avons and see how I get on.

I'll come back and let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Metzler 880 or Avon Venom?