Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just to scare you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:11 AM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Just to scare you?

ORIGINAL: tweakin

ORIGINAL: chornbe

ORIGINAL: motordrum

I'm actually riding a Nightster right now and those things scrape way too soon if you ask me. (I know.... you didn't).
Rebuild the forks with the proper-height springs and damper rods, then replace the forks with the 13.5s. You'll never scrape again. The Nightster and the other lowered models might look cool to some people, but they handle and ride like **** (relative to the proper height ones).
Depends on the kind of ride you are looking for.

Too many opinions in these forums..... but It's a great time reading them.

I love all the opinions I think it's hilarious Chornbe, not to call him out or anything, seems to offer the best info. I'm fairly new to this forum ,about a year or so, but his advise........I mean criticism, past and present has been ohh so helpful. Last 2 weeks or so I have been logging in just so I can hear his bad mouthing........I mean advise, on stuff he don't own and facts, right outa the bible, on stuff he does own. You ARE the freaking man!! [sm=laughat.gif] <------Chornbe

Old 03-15-2008, 06:40 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, it's either his way or the hwy.....Never met a guy like him....but met several women exactly like him.....I think he gets it from his wife.

Corn...for your information, Nightsters are at their stock height already...and so is a custom, and a low, and a roadster....different strokes for different folks, ya know?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:16 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Nightsters (and "low" models) are way lower than the "Standard" models. I never said that his Nightster wasn't stock. I said that the lowered models are too low to be a good handling and riding machine. Nightsters, Lows, etc. I thought that was kinda clear in my post, but whatever.

Nightster:
Seat Height
* Laden - 25.3 in.
* Unladen - 26.3 in.
Ground Clearance - 3.9 in.

Sportster standard:
Seat Height
* Laden - 27.3 in.
* Unladen - 29.3 in.
Ground Clearance - 5.6 in.

I pulled a Nightster out of the parking lot and immediately took it back because it scraped just turning out of the parking lot. No thanks. Too low for actual road riding. If you're into boulevard cruising or bar hopping, I guess it's fine.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: chornbe

The Nightsters (and "low" models) are way lower than the "Standard" models. I never said that his Nightster wasn't stock. I said that the lowered models are too low to be a good handling and riding machine. Nightsters, Lows, etc. I thought that was kinda clear in my post, but whatever.

Nightster:
Seat Height
* Laden - 25.3 in.
* Unladen - 26.3 in.
Ground Clearance - 3.9 in.

Sportster standard:
Seat Height
* Laden - 27.3 in.
* Unladen - 29.3 in.
Ground Clearance - 5.6 in.

I pulled a Nightster out of the parking lot and immediately took it back because it scraped just turning out of the parking lot. No thanks. Too low for actual road riding. If you're into boulevard cruising or bar hopping, I guess it's fine.

Anyone out there wana buy an 07 Nightster w/6500 miles??? Be advised that you need to cruise Blvd's on the way to the bar cause thats is all that they are good for. I do not cruise up and down Blvd's and I do not "Hop" from bar to bar, for this reason I am selling my Nightster. Chornbe THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN for your opinion..........I mean Facts. I actually feel like such a dumb *** buying my bike now, and as to not chance making anymore mistakes can you tell me what the best bike in the world to own is cause I'm going to pick one up so you will not look down at me. Better yet give me the address to your dealership so I can buy it from you, you do own a dealership don't you? I would hate for you to give away all this advise free of charge.

I may only be a harley rider the last year and half but I have had other bikes, what happened to riding your bike and being free with no problems? Leaving your troubles where your kickstand gets uprighted? I forgot that it don't matter what makes you happy but what only matters is that others opinions run your life.[sm=boosign.gif] I have my opinions too Chornbe but when I feel that I may offend someone I keep them to myself!!! **** this is a free country and we all have freedom of speech but don't we all have the decency to respect others choices? I guess not[sm=nono.gif]

Old 03-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Ric27
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember in the fifty's (that's 1950s) cops would go around with a 2x4 in their car to put under the bumper of lowered hot rods. If the block of wood didn't fit you got a ticket. Why? Because people wanting to be different causes fear among the status quo. Lowered hot rods weren't unsafe they just represented a different way of thinking and that always freaks out a certain segment of the population.

Goin' low man, goin' low

Ric

Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny! My bike handles nicely in the twisties. I guess some know how to ride them and some don't

Old 03-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Werbeck
Tourer

A lot of the clearance issues with a Nightster are going to be related to the riders weight and the suspension adjustment. I suspect that the showroom floor N that Chornbe demo'd was set to the lowest position, most of them seem to be set up that way.
When I ride the twisties here in TN and NC I set the stock suspension to it's highest setting. I weigh 170. In this picture on US 129 I am scootin' along pretty good but you can see that the curb feelers are not touching. They did touch several times that day, sometimes even pushing the pegs up gently against my feet. I use them as an "early warning" system. The thing is not to freak out when your pegs or floorboards scrape.
I am not God's gift to riding but no Harley's of any type were wanting to pass me. Of course a couple of crotch rockets did go blasting past in their usual insanicidal ways.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19046/302DE3C31F814754BACDC12BE9734A01.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

I have forwards so I have no problem with scraping pegs, but I have scraped pipe with my shortshots. Thats my feeler!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:00 AM
tweakin
Road Master

I think I'll sell mine to.

Maybe just instal a lift kit to keep me out of the bars.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:48 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior

i love it!!!! [sm=icon_guiness.gif][sm=popcorn.gif]

Quick Reply: Just to scare you?