Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z-Bars internal wiring trick

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:31 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Z-Bars internal wiring trick

Forgive me if you guys already learned this, but I just discovered it tonight and it sure worked well.

I just got these blasted Z-Bars in the mail....they are drilled and dimpled for internal wiring, but man those are some really sharp Z turns and I was wondering how I was going to get a string run thu each side to pull the new wires thru.

I got the idea to use the compressor and blow nozzel.......So I stuffed about 2 foot of string in the left side slot and then blasted it with air....the end of the string instantly popped up waving at me thru the center hole!....I tied it off and quickly did the other side.

Now I'm waiting on the new wiring harness...........I had been sweating how I was going to get the wires thru the Z's so that's one barrier out of the way.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:48 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Z-Bars internal wiring trick

you can also use a shop vac....getting the strings through aint the problem

Them wires are gonna be a pain...I'd recommend being very patient.

Easiest thing I've found is to use both a guitar string (or other wiring...heavier gauge) and a coat hanger with a small hook on the end...the first bend usually ain't too hard, but once it gets to the last one, you need something else. Come in from the end of the bar with the coat hanger....pull the wiring up high enough in the gap to get a grip on it. Then do the obvious...hook and pull it around the 90* bend....if you struggle too much, you'll either yank the string right outta the wiring or you'll skin the sheilding off your wires.

Be careful and be patient. Don't force it...it's a pain in the *** when you gotta start all over. Trust me.

The following users liked this post:
back again (04-19-2020)
Old 03-14-2008, 04:02 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

Yep, except these ain't 90's like yours....mine are 120's or worse.....Got a plan tho

I got some wire lube at work made just for this......that stuff is yellow and slicker than two snakes farkin in a bowl of snot....it's made for pulling wires thru conduit so it won't harm the wires.....that's also why i bought new harnesses thatare shielded in vinyl sleeve cause I knew I'd be scraping it across ruff internal welds at sharp angles

Take a look at these bars and see if you think it is going to be a pain like I do

Old 03-14-2008, 04:23 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, those are gonna suck....lol. I have a buddy that used em...he ended up relocating all his wiring just so he didn't have to do it ever again, hahaha!

Old 03-14-2008, 04:28 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

Yep.......The REALLY expensive bars have tubing running thru them....but they are way beyond my means

Old 03-14-2008, 04:57 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

There was a post here not long ago that said you could get the Z-Bars pre-cabled. Seemed like a smart idea to me, those have got to be a bitch to pull through.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:11 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

I ain't whipped yet......I got several days till the wiring harness and controls show up............I'm going to try to snake soft, thinclear plastictubing thru them, then blow a pull string thru....or suck it now that I got the hint.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 AM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may want to lube up the harnessso the wireslides througha little easier

Old 03-14-2008, 10:20 PM
rottenralph
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a fishing weight and fishing line on mine. Len I used a piece of kanga leather lace to pull the bundle all atthe same time.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:55 AM
CRASH
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: rottenralph

I used a fishing weight and fishing line on mine. Len I used a piece of kanga leather lace to pull the bundle all atthe same time.
Hey Ralph, good to see ya here from the xlforum. Bike's lookin' good. I like the bars...

Quick Reply: Z-Bars internal wiring trick