Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

observations on my purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:43 PM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default observations on my purchase

I accidently posted in the Dyna section, so here I am. Anyway, I picked up my first Sportster yesterday. It is a 1200s. I rode it around a little yesterday and man this thing is a rocket ship! I have got to get my *** to a msf course.

Anyway I have a few thing that I want to address. The first will be the handlebars. They are drag bar style and are skinny. I can not see anything out the mirrors but my sholders and I feel leaned too far forward. Will handlebars off of other models fit? I would like a little rise like 6" or so. Would I have to replace the brake/ clutch cables?

The next thing is the seat. It is uncomfortable and stiff. Just looking for something a little more cushy for my tushy.

And, finally (for now) is the paint. Looking for ideas here.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:44 PM
kawsakimx6
Road Warrior
Default RE: observations on my purchase

i at least like the look of it

Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Mirrors on a Sporty are about as usefull as ice cubes at the north pole
Pretty much anything will fit them. You just have to watch the diff cable lengths for the bars.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Sporty07
Cruiser

i put 12" apes on mine and the mirrors now see over my shoulders plus it is a more comfortable ride imho....but you can do just about anything you want too....

Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 PM
midav
Intermediate

I just replaced stock drag bars on my XL883 with buckhorn bars. I had to get new clutch cable, new controls harness and new brake line. I moved the grips about 6", just like you want to do. So, clutch cable and brake line most likely, not sure about your controls harness. I didn't want to mess with soldering wire extensions, so I got the new "extended" controls harness instead - about $125.
Oh, and I also had to move my front turn signals from handlebars to the fork. They actually look much better there than on the bars.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the new to you scoot , the 1200s is a great bike and the possibilitys are endless. the adjustable front and rear suspension is the best h-d ever put on a sportster . me myself I would be tempted to put some storz xr type high exhaust and rear set pegs on the bike along with flanders flat track bars and a racing them paint job , something along the lines of white with a checkered flag or an xr 750 type theme . good luck and have fun.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Rusty914
Tourer

I have the same thing going on with my mirrors... I have to shift my shoulders slightly to see behind me. I've tried adjusting them a couple of times.

I'm going to try some "Profile" mirrors. They're a bit wider... I'm hoping they'll have a better view.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:53 AM
thruster
Tourer

Get some Mid Western bars, they are up, back and out.
I have no probs seeing out of my Wilie G mirrors.

WHY is it that somedays you can add a picture and others you cant, it suqs.

Pic

Old 03-13-2008, 07:57 PM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give the seat a chance. I felt the same we when I got my bike, but the seat isn't as bad now that I have few miles. I am going to replace the handle bars, and mirrors at 1000 miles. Not sure what I am going to put on yet.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MOSTWANTED

I accidently posted in the Dyna section, so here I am. Anyway, I picked up my first Sportster yesterday. It is a 1200s. I rode it around a little yesterday and man this thing is a rocket ship! I have got to get my *** to a msf course.

Anyway I have a few thing that I want to address. The first will be the handlebars. They are drag bar style and are skinny. I can not see anything out the mirrors but my sholders and I feel leaned too far forward. Will handlebars off of other models fit? I would like a little rise like 6" or so. Would I have to replace the brake/ clutch cables?

The next thing is the seat. It is uncomfortable and stiff. Just looking for something a little more cushy for my tushy.
Besides what I wrote to ya in the Dyna forum, I too picked up a used '02 1200S recently and, like you, find the two-up seat and handle bars very uncomfortable. Picked up a Corbin Hollywood Solo that is excellent, and am now debating bars - am down between a set that my buddy has off his '07 883L which are free or some mini apes. Probably will try out my buddy's first and see how it goes. Also need to extend the forwards it came with, but can't find anything out there for an '02. Anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: observations on my purchase