Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question. I apologize in Advance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008 | 11:54 AM
TigerofH
|
Tourer
Default Stupid Question. I apologize in Advance.

So, I live in an apartment down here and can do NO work to any motor vehicle in the parking lot. I need to wash the bike, and have no access to a water spigot to do so, and with above order, I couldnt' wash it if I wanted to. My question would be how does one go about washing a bike properly. I am worried about getting the seat wet (Don't want to ruin the leather). Also we have Mike's Express Car Wash here and I was wondering if anyone knows if places like that do bikes. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the stupid question.

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:01 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Stupid Question. I apologize in Advance.

I take mine to the local car wash, spray it down good with soapy selection, especially the greasy parts, a little water won't hurt the seat if you dry it off ASAP. Take a couple of towels with you and wipe it down good before you ride. Works for me.

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:04 PM
TigerofH
|
Tourer

Thanks for the help. Once again, sorry to clutter the board with this, but I'm new to this. I know where I'm going after school now though.

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:05 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Not a stupid question. My daughter lived in a place like that once. Luckily, she got smart and moved out of it.

You can always put a plastic bag over the seat. Or, just avoid it with the car wash wand. (I'm assuming that's what you're talking about). You'll get some water on it, but don't sweat it. I haven't heard a cow complain yet about being out in the rain. If it really concerns you, dry it off and use a good leather cleaner and then a conditioner on it.

The most important aspect of washing the bike is 1) let it cool down first. Never spray a hot engine. and 2) try not to use the high setting with the wand. Spray some degreaser on it if it's really dirty, then use the gentle mode of the wand to wash it off. and 3) be very careful when you pull away from the stall. Soapy water will be everywhere and you can dump it quick if you're not careful. Let those tires dry.

You shouldn't have any problems.

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:09 PM
Skygoose
Advanced

The Sportster seat is leather? Mine's stock and man-made material.

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:10 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member

Getting water on the seat will not hurt the bike or seat, asmost of the seats arecoveredwith pleather anyway, not leather. At the most, you'll just get a soggy butt after the water seaps back out of the thread seems.

Get two buckets or even three buckets, fill one with soapy water andthe other one/two bucket(s) with fresh water from your sink or shower. Washbike in sections, so if you need more fresh water you can run back up to the apartment to get it, (sothe soap will not dry leaving spots). Pour fresh waterover washed sections. Dry, and then ride....

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:11 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: WVHogRider

Getting water on the seat will not hurt the bike or seat, asmost of the seats arecoveredwith pleather anyway, not leather. At the most, you'll just get a soggy butt after the water seaps back out of the thread seems.

Get two buckets or even three buckets, fill one with soapy water andthe other one/two bucket(s) with fresh water from your sink or shower. Washbike in sections, so if you need more fresh water you can run back up to the apartment to get it, (sothe soap will not dry leaving spots). Pour fresh waterover washed sections. Dry, and then ride....

He's not allowed to do that in his apartment parking lot.

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:13 PM
TigerofH
|
Tourer

Unfortunatley its true. Even washing a car or bike is grounds for them getting mad at you.

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:22 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TigerofH

Unfortunatley its true. Even washing a car or bike is grounds for them getting mad at you.
[sm=ummmmokay.gif] I'd be moving then. So say if you get a flat tire, you can't change the tire before moving the car? [&:] That's actually working on a car.

Pull the damn bike up on the sidewalk then.....Atleast it's not in the parking lot then...[8D] It's all about getting around the technicalities...

Looks like it's a drive through wash for you then!

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:24 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: WVHogRider

ORIGINAL: TigerofH

[sm=ummmmokay.gif] I'd be moving then. So say if you get a flat tire, you can't change the tire before moving the car? [&:] That's actually working on a car.

Pull the damn bike up on the sidewalk then.....Atleast it's not in the parking lot then...[8D] It's all about getting around the technicalities...

Looks like it's a drive through wash for you then!

He could just ride it into his apartment and give her a good wash in the bathroom.

Quick Reply: Stupid Question. I apologize in Advance.