Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question. I apologize in Advance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008 | 03:51 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Stupid Question. I apologize in Advance.

Years ago I used to bucket wash my cars and bike in the street. I didn't use soap just water as I didn't let them get that dirty plus the soap would remove the wax.Just kept wetting it down with the rag rinse the rag in the bucket ring it out wipe it down. Keep changing the water in the bucket so it won't leave water spots. You can dry it with a shammy. I still wash my bike that way I don't like to hit it with a hose. Even though I live in a house. The car I wash with a hose.

Old 03-11-2008 | 04:33 PM
x2lee
Banned

The seat is prolly hi grade vinyl, most are. The car wash works good but if you spray it with simple green before you wash it it will come clean with 1 round of spray on the rinse setting.
ORIGINAL: TigerofH

So, I live in an apartment down here and can do NO work to any motor vehicle in the parking lot. I need to wash the bike, and have no access to a water spigot to do so, and with above order, I couldnt' wash it if I wanted to. My question would be how does one go about washing a bike properly. I am worried about getting the seat wet (Don't want to ruin the leather). Also we have Mike's Express Car Wash here and I was wondering if anyone knows if places like that do bikes. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the stupid question.

Old 03-11-2008 | 04:52 PM
Amzie
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

When I wash the bike, I usually use the car wash. I wet the bike down with low pressure, then use the foam brush. As was said, just avoid the high pressure in those "sensitive" areas. And once summer rolls around, look for the bikini bike washs in your area. That's ALWAYS a good way to get the bike washed. Kick back, drink a cold one, and watch a couple of chicks in bikini's wash your bike. Usually costs $10, plus the beer cost of course. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Another example of how unfair life is. Why are there no speedo washes... wait, - scratch the speedo thing ... how about cut off washes?!
What,..is there no gym who's members need more protein powder $$? No college who's frat members need beer money? Life is so unfair.[&o]

Old 03-11-2008 | 05:16 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

my landlord forbade me from working on the bike or painting anything in our lot. its a small 4 car lot with a roof. but its outside.

they make me sweep it clean every day and cover my entire parking spot with 3 layers of cardboard, but the bike barely leaks. the car next to me ruined the asphalt with his leaks.

i dont really wash my bike, except when i spray the fenders and tank with Fanastix or whatever and wipe it. but i feel your pain about bitchy landlords

Old 03-11-2008 | 06:22 PM
martinjmac
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: JosephGarcia

they make me sweep it clean every day and cover my entire parking spot with 3 layers of cardboard, but the bike barely leaks. the car next to me ruined the asphalt with his leaks.
Ok you really need to move if they make you do that everydaylol...

Old 03-11-2008 | 08:09 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member

When I wash the bike, I usually use the car wash. I wet the bike down with low pressure, then use the foam brush. As was said, just avoid the high pressure in those "sensitive" areas. And once summer rolls around, look for the bikini bike washs in your area. That's ALWAYSa good way to get the bike washed. Kick back, drink a cold one, and watch a couple of chicks in bikini's wash your bike. Usually costs $10, plus the beer cost of course. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Bikini bike wash? You folks have some nice customs down there!

Old 03-12-2008 | 07:11 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Dorkman

When I wash the bike, I usually use the car wash. I wet the bike down with low pressure, then use the foam brush. As was said, just avoid the high pressure in those "sensitive" areas. And once summer rolls around, look for the bikini bike washs in your area. That's ALWAYSa good way to get the bike washed. Kick back, drink a cold one, and watch a couple of chicks in bikini's wash your bike. Usually costs $10, plus the beer cost of course. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Bikini bike wash? You folks have some nice customs down there!
Yep, Bikini car/bike washes.... I've even seen some topless carwashes just outside of Raleigh/Durham, NC! Cost was about $30 back in '97.

Old 03-12-2008 | 09:33 AM
JRK5892
Banned

Just a warning... i woudl never use a car wash the pressure washer kind to do your bike... there is a chemicle that they use to treat the water that will eat though the clear coat, this was just on the general discussion forum a few days ago... I myself had this happen, i just figured that since i live in a colder area it was due to the anti freeze they run in the line... here is what it did to my motor! as you can see i had to powder coat them to cover it up, it also did this to my fins, my wheels, and more!

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/F0C0944CBB7A4901AB04C415EAB43D36.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/907311E3AFFD4BB783B0D1B8072653F7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2008 | 10:45 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

I take mine to the local car wash, spray it down good with soapy selection, especially the greasy parts, a little water won't hurt the seat if you dry it off ASAP. Take a couple of towels with you and wipe it down good before you ride. Works for me.
Had no idea there were chemicals harmfull to HD clearcoat. My bike is either powdercoat, raw aluminumor chrome and I have not had a problem over 13 yrs with the carwash.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36103/2297A26CBCC24809BC16384D68A6940E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2008 | 11:26 AM
TigerofH
|
Tourer

Well I washed it yesterday. I didnt' do the take orpart ofthe rear fender. I figured out I could probably just use the storage space I keep it in. I'm going to get a rag and do the rest here shortly. I used the low pressure setting to do the engine, front fork, front fender, and the rear fork. I used the soap brush thingy and got all that too. I did to my dismay discover something that looks like its melted onto my pipe. I don't know if its from my boot, but I mean to find out... So can you just use straight up car wax, or is there special bike stuff?

Quick Reply: Stupid Question. I apologize in Advance.