Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting used to a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:33 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Getting used to a windshield?

you may be taller than me. I can't slide it down far enough to make a difference. ugh. anyone want to buy a q/d windshied? less than 20 miles on it.

rob

Old 03-10-2008, 06:29 PM
FatTony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

Possibly. Do you have the part #? What do you want for it?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:01 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the bike has a different feel with, and without a shield. cold weather and highway speed it's a must. For me it really reduces fatigue. I don't like the look on a Sportster, however. Mine comes off when it gets summer-time hot.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DSnoopy

Yes, same problem here. Takes a little getting used to when you are used to seeing the road all the way into the bike. I have found that seeings the little cracks and holes in the pavement up close can be more difficult, but have adjusted my riding to look ahead a little further. Can't beat the wind block on a cold day, or the bug splatter!
This is a very good habit even w/o the shield! Gives you more time to plan, instead of having to react.

I took a racing courseback in the 70's. They gave us '63 Buick Specials with the bottom half of the windshield painted over. Couldn't see anything closer than 70 feet. Made us much safer.

You'll get used to it, andmuch nicer than eatin' bugs!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I rode a sporster with a winshield probably about 30 miles and I didn't like it and it was a cold day too. I'll keep the cold air and bugs. I just dress warmer and I'm fine and as for fatigue it hasn't bothered me yet. I can ride all day and not be beaten down.
Eww I just can't stand the idea of ruining my bike with a windshield. Customs I can tolerate the look of a shield on but mine would be hidious.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:34 PM
jagator
Road Master

I have no problems with my windshield. Not sure I could ride without it.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no getting used to if you have the right hieght shield. Most people get a shield that is too tall and have to look through it, the secret is to look over it. The other thing is Harleys shields are pieces of crap I have aMemphis Shields and a Clear View and both get rid of that vibration sight picturethat can almost make you sick if you look at it to long.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a fan of windscreens either, but in the cold and on long trips they do the job. Keeps the bugs, stones, and road crud off your jacket and face.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:18 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jag1886

There is no getting used to if you have the right hieght shield. Most people get a shield that is too tall and have to look through it, the secret is to look over it. The other thing is Harleys shields are pieces of crap I have aMemphis Shields and a Clear View and both get rid of that vibration sight picturethat can almost make you sick if you look at it to long.
If it's the geezer-glide look that puts folks off, then take a look at the Memphis Shades Sportshield family. I've got the El Paso on my FXD and it looks really lean. It's adjustable top and bottom for rake to eliminate buffeting. I got the 19" and it works well. You can also bolt up other shield styles to the same mounting hardware. About $100 less than moco too, even less on ebay.

Only drawback is that mounting hardware stays on the forks vs. the HD QR stuff. The newer hardware will come off in about 5 minutes if you want clean forks - I've got to the point where I don't even see it any more.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:37 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Road King Classic that came with detatchable shield.....I love it and usually ride with it installed.

However I prefer my Sporty bare.

If I'm barhopping, I usually ride the Sporty cause it never fails I end up street racing too, but if I decide to take the King, I remove the shield.

If I had just one bike, I'd want a detachable shield for those days I wanted to relax and not fight bugs/wind........Don't be skeered to cut your shield down to fit your riding height.....just tape it, cut it with plastic blade in sabre saw, then sand cut edge smooth with sandpaper and follow up with quick propane torch along cut edge.

Quick Reply: Getting used to a windshield?