Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:26 AM
jackofhearts
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer problem

My speedo on the 05 custom is intermitantly working. sometimes the neeedle moves, sometimes not. the odometer does not move when the needle does't work.light is on. I replacd theVSS and no help. How do I go about testing the wiring and/or plug, speedo unt? what else? Any suggestions?

Old 03-09-2008, 01:03 AM
NA7A
Tourer
Default RE: speedometer problem

If you could get your hands on a service manuel that would be best. it sounds like an electrical problem but if you could take the bike into the stealer and have a good contact there sometimes they will do a quick check for free or give you some things to check out. also make sure there was not a recall on it for that year.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed-o's are hard to diagnose and a special tool is needed to test them out. Your speedometer may be alright and it could be just the speed sensor wiring.. Best to get it into the shop for professional testing and checking... Yes could be costly but at least you can get some satisfaction of knowing the correct HD proceedures are being following rather then expermintal trouble-shooting.

Having the manual is of very little help as it refers you to the special tools, meters needed to test the system.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:21 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Double check for a tight connection at the ICM connector. Remove and reinstall the connector. Also use some dielectric grease on the pins if you have some. You may also need to remove the fuel tank and check the harness connectors there. The same applies, use dielectric grease and reseat the connectors. Obviously look for chafed wires at the same time. Having the Service Manual will help you identify the correct harness connector under the tank as well as the wire color you want to follow. It's LTG/V (light green/violet) by the way.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doug45601
speed sensor
If there is any metal or water on the speed sensor it can cause it to off-read, normally low or not work at all, as you describe it is intermittent.
The speed sensor is magnetic and will attract little bits. Just wipe it off with a rag. There is also a gasket on it that may need to be replaced.
Getting to it is a real pain, it will seem like~1/16 of a turn each time with an allen wrench on a 3/4" cap screw. The sensor is accessed from the right (exhaust) side of the bike, just behind the starter.

Water in the oil is a possibility from washing a warm engine/tranny, riding in the rain or having a bad gasket on the speed sensor. If it has a lot of metal bits on it you may want to pull the tranny drain plug and see if it is also covered with bitz, then seek a indy to check out the internals.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:07 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stefan

ORIGINAL: Doug45601
speed sensor
If there is any metal or water on the speed sensor it can cause it to off-read, normally low or not work at all, as you describe it is intermittent.
The speed sensor is magnetic and will attract little bits. Just wipe it off with a rag. There is also a gasket on it that may need to be replaced.
Getting to it is a real pain, it will seem like~1/16 of a turn each time with an allen wrench on a 3/4" cap screw. The sensor is accessed from the right (exhaust) side of the bike, just behind the starter.

Water in the oil is a possibility from washing a warm engine/tranny, riding in the rain or having a bad gasket on the speed sensor. If it has a lot of metal bits on it you may want to pull the tranny drain plug and see if it is also covered with bitz, then seek a indy to check out the internals.

Man, that was alot of typing considering he said that he has already replaced the sensor.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:06 PM
00ICUR12
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a voltmeter and check your charging system. Not enough voltage will cause the speedo to act up.If voltage doesn't increase as you rev the engine there is a problem.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:14 PM
ryback
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 00ICUR12

Use a voltmeter and check your charging system. Not enough voltage will cause the speedo to act up.If voltage doesn't increase as you rev the engine there is a problem.
If his charging system wasn't working well enough to drive the speedo, he would have had a dead battery a long time ago.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:55 PM
slickrock
Intermediate

What you need is a manual and a volt meter. Make sure voltages are good at sensor and speedo. It also would be a good idea to make sure there isn't any secondary electrical noise coming from a bad spark plug lead. I have heard of electrical interference being induced into low voltage systems like VSS. Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:19 PM
jackofhearts
Tourer

Thanks everybody for the advice, I think the best idea is to locate the plug under the tank, I did not know there was one. and checkfor shorts. and continuity also check voltages. By the way, changing that sensor ($65.00) , was hard the first time, but I got a 1/4" socket wrench and allen socket with just the right length adapter and it was a breeze. I did clean the old one and that didn't work, so I bought the new one and was dissapointed. Oh well. Anybody need a slightly used VSS? I does act like a short, I just did not know about the plug under the tank to check it. I do have a manual but did not see how to check, only remove and replace.parts. There are three leads by the way.

Quick Reply: speedometer problem