Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best lift/jack to fit sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:29 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best lift/jack to fit sportster?

Sears red jack,with a few mods.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:34 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sears red jack. Use a piece of 1 x 4 for the wheels, and another to set the kickstand on. A bit of a pain, but it works good other than that, and the price is right.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As soon as one of the stores get it in stock I'll be buying one of these... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94121

Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 AM
The Patriot
Road Master

The Sears works great for me.
ORIGINAL: 1200Cdriver

I use this Sears jack, I made a couple of wood spacers to prevent interference with underparts.

[IMG]local://upfiles/45549/C528ED5D558E48A7983B37E4E1A53A75.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45549/840053B6B36B46CE8F3B6DBF4A071193.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-08-2008, 10:15 AM
bigtop1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

biker trash: your wheels are still planted with that lift from harbor freight. How do you get around that. Where do you substantiate the need and use for this one unless you are in the repair business?

Old 03-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

I use the Harbor Freight jack with no problems.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigtop1

biker trash: your wheels are still planted with that lift from harbor freight. How do you get around that. Where do you substantiate the need and use for this one unless you are in the repair business?
I just hate payingfor high labor charges (or seeing my friends pay for them) when I know I can do the work myself with the proper tools.
The rear wheel area has a panel that drops out for servicingtires, The front is easy enough to lift using a floor jack and a block of wood when the bike is tied down to the lift table. Seen it done a million times at the local indy.
Asfar as the need for it, I have bad kneesand a bad back (I am an ex automotive tech) and cannot stand to be bent over for too long. I hate to sit on buckets orstools while working on things because of the wastedtime(and knee pain) getting up to get and put awaytools.
Ihave the room for it and love the idea of having that convienience in my owngarage. I have plenty of friends and relatives who need their bikes worked on as well. And I'm sure my 5hp 21 gallon air compressor will run it just fine.
The idea of doing bike service as a sideline for extra cash has crossed my mind a few times.I'll probably end up doing it for people from time to time. Those are the reasons I see it as a necessity and will purchase one in the near future.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:54 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

I just hate paying for high labor charges (or seeing my friends pay for them) when I know I can do the work myself with the proper tools.
The rear wheel area has a panel that drops out for servicing tires, The front is easy enough to lift using a floor jack and a block of wood when the bike is tied down to the lift table. Seen it done a million times at the local indy.
As far as the need for it, I have bad knees and a bad back (I am an ex automotive tech) and cannot stand to be bent over for too long. I hate to sit on buckets or stools while working on things because of the wasted time (and knee pain) getting up to get and put away tools.
I have the room for it and love the idea of having that convienience in my own garage. I have plenty of friends and relatives who need their bikes worked on as well. And I'm sure my 5hp 21 gallon air compressor will run it just fine.
The idea of doing bike service as a sideline for extra cash has crossed my mind a few times. I'll probably end up doing it for people from time to time. Those are the reasons I see it as a necessity and will purchase one in the near future.
My friend, we are singing the same tune. As soon as the third bay is done on my garage, the lift and (much) larger air compressor are going in. *thumbs up*

Old 03-08-2008, 01:31 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Biker Trash,

That's a fine lift....I had one till a few months ago and gave it to a guy on here....It was simply too much and stayed in my way.

All I need is a regular lift

I'm thinkin the J&S jack from jsjacks.com

Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 AM
bigtop1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the explanation. I see why now. Hope it serves your needs.

Quick Reply: Best lift/jack to fit sportster?