Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help cause im a dumbass

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Binny
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need Help cause im a dumbass

BT....don't sugar coat what you say!!!!!!!!!!! say it how you feel....I gotta tell ya ...I don't think sympathy is in order here....but I feel bad for this guy......hope it works out......BINNY.
ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

ORIGINAL: DarkNite

i decided im just gonna take it in and face the music.

will the extended warrenty cover my stupidity.
I think if you check the fine print in on your warranty papers it clearly states that ignorance and stupidity isn't covered and may, infact, void any warranty implied...
Get ready to take it up the **** without lube from the stealer!

Old 03-08-2008, 10:36 AM
pottsy
Road Master

You live you learn. But, I have always found, that if it can come apart, it can go back together. Relax, don't stress over it. Take another look, you may be able to do it.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:52 AM
DarkNite
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbarbarian

Yeah man your hosed, I did the same thing. For next time what you will do is remove that little cover over the Electronic Ignition Module/Points cover by drilling out the rivits, and after you unscrew the ignition/points you can thus unbolt you main cam gear. I just hope that when you pulled the gears out that those pushrods didnt hit any of those brass bushing on the interior of the case that you cam gears slide into. You should let us know the progress, and best of luck. Be carefull if you try to fix it yourself that you in top dead center, and you align your timiming up correctly. Learning by mistakes is okay, but expensive.

hahaha there won't be a next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just taking it in, i couldn't sleep last night cause i felt so dumb.

i wasn't looking for sympathy, just the truth on how much work. i'll have it at the shop today, once all the laughing at me is over, i'll be back to normal.

cheers

Old 03-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Binny

BT....don't sugar coat what you say!!!!!!!!!!! say it how you feel....I gotta tell ya ...I don't think sympathy is in order here....but I feel bad for this guy......hope it works out......BINNY.

I think if you check the fine print in on your warranty papers it clearly states that ignorance and stupidity isn't covered and may, infact, void any warranty implied...
Binny,
Don't get me wrong, I wish DarkNite well. But the fact isthere isno warranty in the world has a claus in it that states "fixing the owners mistakeswill becovered".
At $90 some odd dollars an hour (not sure what the exact going rate the stealer charges for labor) that the stealer charges for labor, I'd consider paying that amountfor a stupid mistake (which the OP has already already admitted to)to be fixed,taking it up the ***.
There was no offense intended by my post as I tried to show with the Just as there was no offense taken by your statement. I did however feel that I should clear the air so I didn't seem like a total ***hole. [8D]
Elliot

Old 03-08-2008, 12:11 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

As another mechanically challenged person, I have to ask the group:

If someone, say "me", wanted to replace either the Derby cover or Timer cover with some other decorative cover, would I be up the proverbial creek without my paddle?

Sorry to hear about your experience!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: brgtr3

If someone, say "me", wanted to replace either the Derby cover or Timer cover with some other decorative cover, would I be up the proverbial creek without my paddle?

With a manual and the right tools I'm sure you could do those jobs. Just make sure you have extra sporttrans fluid (or whatever brand of gear oil you personally use in the primary/trans) because unless it's standing straight up and down it will leak out. That will give you an excuse to change the Primary/trans fluid anyhow when you change the derby cover.

Edit: also make sure you use the proper T27 Torx bit for the derby cover as the T25 will seem to fit but will strip the torx screws easily.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:36 PM
DarkNite
2nd Gear

anyone know the hours of labour im looking at paying for

Old 03-08-2008, 12:46 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: brgtr3

With a manual and the right tools I'm sure you could do those jobs. Just make sure you have extra sporttrans fluid (or whatever brand of gear oil you personally use in the primary/trans) because unless it's standing straight up and down it will leak out. That will give you an excuse to change the Primary/trans fluid anyhow when you change the derby cover.

Edit: also make sure you use the proper T27 Torx bit for the derby cover as the T25 will seem to fit but will strip the torx screws easily.
Thanks Trash... good information.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:48 PM
ss377
Road Captain

My buddy's buddy did the same thing to buddy's sportster trying to install forward controls. Took it to an indy and paid $300 to get it replaced. Had to remove the rocker boxes to relieve the valve/push rod spring pressure. Buddy's buddy was trying to help but didn't chip in on the repair. Don't know about the warranty issue. Good luck. Keep us informed.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Binny
Road Captain

I wasn't saying you were hard on him...I justadmire your honesty....That's all I was saying......This guy should have come to the forum first in regard to taking off this cover...Then he wouldn't be in this mess....you gave him a good wakeup call.....BINNY....

ORIGINAL: Binny

Binny,
Don't get me wrong, I wish DarkNite well. But the fact isthere isno warranty in the world has a claus in it that states "fixing the owners mistakeswill becovered".
At $90 some odd dollars an hour (not sure what the exact going rate the stealer charges for labor) that the stealer charges for labor, I'd consider paying that amountfor a stupid mistake (which the OP has already already admitted to)to be fixed,taking it up the ***.
There was no offense intended by my post as I tried to show with the Just as there was no offense taken by your statement. I did however feel that I should clear the air so I didn't seem like a total ***hole. [8D]
Elliot

Quick Reply: Need Help cause im a dumbass