Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no windscreen no problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:28 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: no windscreen no problem

ORIGINAL: mrb302

ORIGINAL: schumacher

Bugs make good eatin
I've always heard that you can tell a happy biker by the number of bugs in his teeth.
Or you can tell a 'true biker' by the number of teeth he has left.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:37 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

ORIGINAL: jwb47

not to start any rumors or anything but I heard of a new federal law that states if you dont have a windshield on your bike then your going to have to wear a ff dot approved helmet .
Where did you hear of this law?
Myself, associates, and various legal personnel I know try to keep up to date of proposed laws that might impact the motorcycle community, and I've never even heard rumours of the 'windshield/DOT helmet' thing....

The NTSB did come up with recent 'recommendations', as shown below;

Here is the complete NTSB 'Synopsis AB07', which is their recommendation letter that was sent to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration;

NATIONAL TRANSPORTATION SAFETY BOARD
Public Meeting of September 11, 2007

Motorcycle Safety Recommendation Letters

Today the Board issued the following safety recommendations:

SAFETY RECOMMENDATION [/b]

National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety

To the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

[ol][*]Reprioritize the National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety recommendations based on objective criteria including known safety outcomes.[*]Following completion of the reprioritization of the National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety requested in Safety Recommendation H-07-XX, implement an action plan for states and others, such as federal agencies, manufacturers, insurance organizations, and advocacy groups to carry out those recommendations that are determined to be of high priority. [/ol]

To the 50 states and the District of Columbia:

[*]Provide information to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on the effectiveness of your motorcycle safety efforts to assist NHTSA with its effort to reprioritize the National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety recommendations.
[ol][/ol]

Motorcycle Safety Data

To the Federal Highway Administration: [*]Following the 2007 Motorcycle Travel Symposium, develop guidelines for the states to use to gather accurate motorcycle registrations and motorcycle vehicle miles traveled data. The guidelines should include information on the various methods to collect registrations and vehicle miles traveled data and how these methods can be put into practice.
[ol][/ol]

Motorcycle Helmets

To the three states without motorcycle helmet laws:[*]Require that all persons shall wear a Department of Transportation Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218-compliant motorcycle helmet while riding (operating), or as a passenger on any motorcycle.
[ol][/ol]

To the 27 states and 1 territory with partial helmet laws:
[*]Amend current laws to require that all persons shall wear a Department of Transportation Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218-compliant motorcycle helmet while riding (operating), or as a passenger on any motorcycle.
[ol][/ol]

To the 8 states, the District of Columbia, and the 4 territories that have universal motorcycle helmet laws but do not specifically require FMVSS 218-compliant helmets:[*]Amend current laws to specify that all persons shall wear a Department of Transportation Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218-compliant motorcycle helmet while riding (operating), or as a passenger on any motorcycle.
[ol][/ol]

Old 03-06-2008, 02:29 PM
HD Mojo
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would not be without a windshield on my other bikes, but not on the Nightster

Old 03-06-2008, 03:00 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually thought about getting one for a short time but damn near every day I saw threads complaining about "buffeting" from this windshield or that.I've done without one for at least 30 yrs I figure I can live without one for awhile longer.And they look stupid on Sportsters period.The Buell flyscreen I had on my SV is as close as I've ever been to having a fairing and I only put that on to cover up the hideous asymetrical gages.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:46 PM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my shield, but would agree about not having one for the Nightster. Just your personal choice.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:39 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of us in cold climates, stupid-looking windshields is the difference between 'tolerating' a 25-degree ride or not - without one. For me, it tames the ride when I gotta ride here in in thesub-freezing northern states.

Move me to Arizona and the shield is gone forever.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:19 PM
catfish1360
Stage I

If you don't care for windshields, you haven't swallowed a Blue Jay, yet!! I pulled my rear tire the other day(1200C Sportster) just pried the piston back in the caliper(didn't open the bleeder or line) and when I put it back together, I can't get the master cylinder to pump up. I've tried a vacuum pump on the caliper bleeder screw, a pressure pump with dot 5 brakefluid in it, Ive removed the MC, poured it full of fluid, poured the pressure line full of fluid, and then bled all of the air out of the reservoir line before reattaching it. I also attached the pressure pump up to the pressure line and filled it and the caliper, until it came out of the bleed hole--still no brakes--What do ya think--maybe it's time for a MC???--Beats anything I've ever helt, felt, or smelt!!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whaap
It's just a matter of how much pain you want to put up with. Personally, I don't leave home without it.
Amen brother. Just got back from a 1800 mile plus 4 day circle across Montana and back....bugs were out large. Every time I gassed up it took 5 minutes to clean off my windshield. Without it I'd a looked like Barrack-O-Cow-u-Mama. I'm 63 and ride hard, but not into self mutilation like some of you cooler looking youngsters, needing to make impressions.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:57 PM
montelatici
Cruiser

I put a detachable windshield on my 1200 Low. A great improvement at 70 MPH and above. Won't leave home without it anymore.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Hands0fDeath
Advanced

I'm not usually a fan of windshields either so the one that came with my bike got chopped up. It's crazy how much wind it takes off your chest, at this size I figured it would do nothing.

Quick Reply: no windscreen no problem