Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:19 PM
titus3:5
|
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new tire

I have a 06 1200C, I have the original dunlap D402Ftire on it at present, but im in need of a new tire. I only got 6500 miles out of the original. I like the center rain grove. What tire does everybody elase use??? Do you get better mileage than I did, is this average for a front tire???? The tire you use, is it good in the rain, or is it way slippery , oh one more thing, I was at the deale rand I saw some michelin tires, are they any good???

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:25 PM
jalopy
Cruiser
Default RE: Need new tire

You only got 6500 out of your front tire? My front tire had plenty of tread on it when I replaced it, but it was getting dry rotted. I replaced both of mine with Metzler ME880's. I like them way better than the duncraps that were on there. I don't ride in the rain much at all, but I have heard that Metzlers are better for cornering in the rain. They have a flat center part of the tread though.

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:28 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You only got 6500 out of your front tire!!! Are you diving into the curves hard? Mine lasted around 10K in the WV mountains & I drive it hard into the curves. I went with a Metzler on this last tire because it sticks a little better but gives less miles due to the softer rubber compound. To get more miles, you'll need to go with a harder rubber compound, but that means less tire hugging. Your rear should wear out before the front. Do you have the 21" front or the 19"? The 21" wears quicker than the 19", which is what I have & maybe the difference between the tire wear. [&:]

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:44 PM
titus3:5
|
Tourer

I have the 21 inch in the front. Not sure what you mean by riding it hard in curves. I do lean it if thats what you mean, does any body run the michelin tires, ive read a lot in the search about dunlaps, 401-404, and metzlers

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:51 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: titus3:5

I have the 21 inch in the front. Not sure what you mean by riding it hard in curves. I do lean it if thats what you mean, does any body run the michelin tires, ive read a lot in the search about dunlaps, 401-404, and metzlers
Well, the 21"r isn't going to last as long as the 19" due to the 19"r having more rubber. By diving into the curves, I mean going a little fast into the twisties and having to brake a little harder than you'd like. Not sure on the average 21' tire wear though as I've had the 19"r since the scoot was new. I'm sure someone with the 21" will respond.

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:12 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

6,000 miles sounds to be about right for a front 21" tire. I have 19". Got 15,000 miles out of the first one, and then replaced it with a Metzler, just because due to the strike there wasn't a Dunlop rear tire available. I have over 15,000 miles on the front metzler. I replaced the rear Metzler tire just last week. I love the Metzler tires. I was happy with the Dunlops, but since the Labor Union insisted that I try a different product. I'll never go back to Dunlop.

However,it will not make much of a difference which tire you run on the 21" wheel. That's about all of the miles you will get from that wheel. Gotta have more rubber to deal with the heat build up.

Talk to cHarley about that.

Old 03-04-2008 | 10:09 PM
Jsalinger
1st Gear

I happen to like the Avon Venom X Tires best. I had the stock Dunlop's on my 2005 and I also have a 21" Front and 16 rear. I put the 160 on the rear, doesn't rub at all, and in my opinion changes the look of the back of the bike quite a bit. The Avons seem to be wearing great and have felt solid through many different weather conditions, except i have never ridden my bike in snow or ice, I do live in Sunny Southern California.

Old 03-05-2008 | 02:22 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

6 -7K miles is all I got from the last 2 Dunlop 21" 402's. I don't "ride it like I stole it" but do like to run the twisties several times a year and that is real tough on the skinny 21" tire. The narrow 21" wheel on the C models is for looks IMO, not performance, there just isin't enough rubber contact area on the road and heat does become an issue as SportyPig said. I replaced my wheel with a 19" and the handleing has improved significantly.

I haven't run Avons but most reports indicate that while they grip better than the Dunlops, they also are made with a softer rubber compound and don't wear as well. Based on many positive reports here, I'm going to go with the Metz 880 the next time around. As for Dunlop 404's, they are an economy tire and have 2/32" less rubber than the 402 and are bias ply not belted.

Old 03-05-2008 | 06:21 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With that skinny 21" front tire I'd say you did just fine.

Old 03-05-2008 | 10:57 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shops around here when I was shopping least recommended the ME880 which is what I asked about most due to recommendations on the forums like HDF and XLF(apparently a number of shopslocally commented on tread sepearation and sidewall blisters with ME880 on various bikes/tire sizes over the course of a year), So figuring 4 different dealers of various bikes and indy shops that sell all brands of tirescant all comment the same is there is not something to it so I looked at other brands. Forums also tend to boast about one brand or another then everyone uses it so you hear more comments about it. I managed 14+k out of my front 21" dunlop but wanted a sticky tire with decent wear so I ended up with the Avon Venom X which is great so far (put 2+k on it), rides smooth, soaks up bumps better and grips like the front was on rails, not cheap though but then again neither are the ME880. I will likely get 20k out of my rear if I don't change itand the rear rim out soonerthen I'm replacing it with an Avon.I'm sure ME880s are great as lots one here use them but thus far I'm very happy with the Avon. Dunlops wear great becasue they're hard but they ride and grip poor compared to others.

Quick Reply: Need new tire