Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Sportster 1200R Rideablity

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:53 AM
dlongo8241
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Sportster 1200R Rideablity

[:'(]------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking of purchaseing a 1200R, I was planning on doing some mods, but for now I wanted to leave everything stock for at least a year while I save up money. My question is, I heard that the bike runs like crap from the dealer. I know pipes and a jet kit will give it more power, but in the mean time the stock power would be fine. Correct me if I am wrong but I am thinking Harley is not going to sell a new bike that runs like crap out of the box? Any replys would be appreciated I'm picking up the bike on Tuesday.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:08 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 06 Sportster 1200R Rideablity

Granted there are some bikes that won't run the greatest out of the box but I think that applies to all models. THAT is a dealership issue, as far as I am concerned. They are the ones who take them out of the box and prepare them to be offered for sale. If yours is running like crap right from scratch...get back to that dealer and complain about it ASAP! If you have to start spending money on servcing right off the bat, then something is really wrong, really WRONG! And remember, if something IS actually WRONG with the bike...there is such a thing as warranty and personally, I would want another bike if the one they gave you is "crap" and really is brand new...Better yet, if you haven't got the bike yet...don't accept it. Get one that does run right!

Don't be afraid to ask questions and get some answers!

Old 01-29-2006, 12:13 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong but I am thinking Harley is not going to sell a new bike that runs like crap out of the box?
They do sell them like this, your option is to richen it up , in your case you can uncap the idle mixture screw and readjust it to the highest and steadiest setting fully warmed up. This will give you a respectable running bike until you decide to do any mods.
It's all in the DIY section.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:19 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

They do sell them like this, your option is to richen it up , in your case you can uncap the idle mixture screw and readjust it to the highest and steadiest setting fully warmed up. This will give you a respectable running bike until you decide to do any mods.
TC...Don't you think the dealership should be responsible for making adjustments like this. As a novice, I wouldn't want to even touch that with a 10 ft pole. I wouldn't get one of my friends to do it either. If it's not adjusted just right, and damage is done, don't you think you would have much bigger problems with warranty and sitting watching TV while your ride is in the shop again? If I am paying full retail for something like this....I would totally expect it to run like a top! Or am I being unreasonable to expect this?

Old 01-29-2006, 12:38 PM
WildWilly
Advanced

I purchased a new XL883R on December 23rd and just turned over 1,000 miles. (It's been a wonderful winter in Iowa this year) The bike runs absolutely perfect. In cold weather, 30 to 40 degrees, I have the choke turned off within 3 to 4 miles and the bike runs great at all speeds. My advice is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, tell the dealer to fix it. No bike should run like crap out of the box. If all Sportsters ran like crap out of the box, they wouldn't sell as well as they do. (IMHO)

Old 01-29-2006, 12:42 PM
ronn39
Road Master

ORIGINAL: dlongo8241

[:'(]------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... I heard that the bike runs like crap from the dealer.
The operative here, dlongo8241, is "I heard." I heard a lot of things about them too before I bought one, but it turns out that most of it is the exception, not the norm. HD delivers them from the factory tuned rather lean to satisfy the EPA, and the stage 1 does make a difference. But the bike you've chosen will be a really fine ride and if you feel not all is right, take it back to the dealer. Most of them are anxious to make it right.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:48 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

ORIGINAL: bikergirl40

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

TC...Don't you think the dealership should be responsible for making adjustments like this. As a novice, I wouldn't want to even touch that with a 10 ft pole. I wouldn't get one of my friends to do it either. If it's not adjusted just right, and damage is done, don't you think you would have much bigger problems with warranty and sitting watching TV while your ride is in the shop again? If I am paying full retail for something like this....I would totally expect it to run like a top! Or am I being unreasonable to expect this?

Bikergirl

Two schools of thought here. YES the dealer should be responsible for this , I agree. HOWEVER , would I leave my bike to these guys to fix being it is such an easy fix...NO! This is something almost anyone could handle that has any skills at all. Again, if you are not comfortable doing this type of operation, then the dealer is the way to go. My mistake here for not realizing that some would rather take it to the dealer to perform most things. I try to help most out here that do not for the most part want to return to the dealer numerous times for a simple adjustment.

You are correct that they should run like a top, only problem here is that with the EPA standards, these bikes are just about being fed enough gas to barely run and that coupled with a tight engine when it is brand new causes some problems with running. A simple adjustment like mentioned above may make the difference of enjoying the bike in some nice riding weather or waiting for the dealer to get to it for a few days. It can only be done by those who feel comfortable doing it IMO.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Shift_4lo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 06xl1200r and it rode great before i did the stage1 i don't think power will be low unless you are use to riding rice rockets because i am 16 and love speed and the bike almost has enough speed for me but if you want to do some cheap mods you could drill out you baffle's and rejet the carb and if you did all the work youself it would be like 10-15$ and you could grap some pony's. BTW what color are you buying?

Old 01-29-2006, 12:56 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Hey Shift

Watch out when you grap some pony's Some of them don't like that

As far as drilling the baffles, You'll run much better with a properly tuned slip on because of the back pressure involved.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:03 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

I had the understanding, (and remember that doesn't amount to much), that if you drill out your baffles you really mess with the compluter's abilility to make adjustments to run properly.

Quick Reply: 06 Sportster 1200R Rideablity