Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:28 PM
acid_chipmunk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing forward controls

I just bought a set of forward controls for my Sporty and the hubby will be installing them. I was just wondering how hard it is and about how long it will take? They are used, so I doubt that I will be getting any instructions with them. Thanks in advance for all your help.

-Christine -

Old 03-02-2008, 04:34 PM
drumer66
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Installing forward controls

Hi -

Hopefully someone will chime in and offer some guidance..... personally, i'm not sure what's instore for you guys.... shouldn't be that bad..... should be mainly remove and reassemble....

JD

Old 03-02-2008, 05:42 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It was a pretty easy thing to do when I put mine one. Take off old pegs and stuff. Take out one motormount replace it with new one, take out old one replace with new. Install new stuff.
Biggest probably we had was on of the bolt holes on the new motor mount had messed up threads so we had to go re-tap it.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: acid_chipmunk

I just bought a set of forward controls for my Sporty and the hubby will be installing them. I was just wondering how hard it is and about how long it will take? They are used, so I doubt that I will be getting any instructions with them. Thanks in advance for all your help.

- Christine -
If you have access to a fax I can send you a copy as last resort but you should have no problem finding inst. online. Nor do you really need them it is all pretty straight forward. Also my dealer printed out a few instruction sheets for parts I bought used, just ask.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:47 PM
MJStephens
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's easy. If you have basic tools and basic mechanical ability you should be looking at about an hour for install. Installing them without instructions should be no big deal. I'm pretty sure you can't really install the wrong part in the wrong location so you should know right away if you have the correct part going in the correct place. Just make sure to use blue Loctite on the bolts when you put everything back together. I had my shifter peg come off last summer and when I took off from the stop light it was a really weird feeling not having anything to hook my boot under, lol. I had to reach down and shift by hand the rest of the ride home. Luckily it came off only a few miles from my house.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:52 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And, don't forget the locking pins on the back of the arms that come out of engine mounts. They don't tighten down tight just by twisting.