Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery cover tin not staying latched

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: battery cover tin not staying latched

Ah, once again the battery cover issue surfaces. To any that are reading this, but haven't had the problem. Fix it anyway. My cover not only flopped down, it jumped totally off the bike, and I couldn't find it.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:41 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yep same problem here. had my cover off so many times, and now have a bad front clip, im just gonna go replace it, maybe by a couple extra. havent had the cover fall off yet while riding , but dont want to tempt fate.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:50 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: nazareth27

yep same problem here. had my cover off so many times, and now have a bad front clip, im just gonna go replace it, maybe by a couple extra. havent had the cover fall off yet while riding , but dont want to tempt fate.
No need to replace the clip, it won't do any good. Read the thread that cHarley posted. That will tell you how to fix this problem. It's a really simple idea compliments of Old Fender Guy. And I see that mark g has also posted the process here.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:51 PM
BLKXL12C
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dose anyone have a picture of the fix?

Old 03-04-2008, 04:38 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Personally I do not, and I would have to take the seat off to even begin to get a picture. Basically, you drill a small hole through the plastic clip. Hole small enough to allow the long part of the zip tie to go through, but small enough that the head of the zip tie won't go through. That will keep the cover in place. If you need to remove the cover, you don't need to cut anything. You just pull out the zip tie. And then put it back in once you re-install the battery cover.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:20 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last weekend I hit a hard bump and it popped open. I need to zip tie that sucker in. I always carry a knife and tools, so it is no problem cutting it. Ill check out the other links provided here and consider the alternatives.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 AM
07HDnightster
Road Captain

I appreciate the info on this also... I've had this problem for a while and it pisses me off when you hit a little bump and it pops open. Especially when i have custom airbrush work on my tins. Glad someone brought this up. Thanks

Old 03-05-2008, 10:12 AM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 06 1200c and had the same issue. This is actually a known issue with HD and is a recall notice. This will be worked on if you ever have the sporty in to a dealer.

The isuse is the clips wear out and loose their grip. I keep a spare set to replace when needed. they cost like 90 cents apiece.

The first time I had this issue us when the battery strap came loose and the battery pushed the cover off.

After numerous clip replacements, i went with trying to find a resolution. Not wanting to drill the cover, i added material to the area the clip engages. small strip on sheat metal, industrial adhesive and i was done. Area is thicker and the clip doesnt seep to stretch endlessly. Never had the problem again.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 PM
LdyMjo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: simpkinst

I have a 06 1200c and had the same issue. This is actually a known issue with HD and is a recall notice. This will be worked on if you ever have the sporty in to a dealer.

The isuse is the clips wear out and loose their grip. I keep a spare set to replace when needed. they cost like 90 cents apiece.

The first time I had this issue us when the battery strap came loose and the battery pushed the cover off.

After numerous clip replacements, i went with trying to find a resolution. Not wanting to drill the cover, i added material to the area the clip engages. small strip on sheat metal, industrial adhesive and i was done. Area is thicker and the clip doesnt seep to stretch endlessly. Never had the problem again.
Thanks for sharing that this is a recall issue. My concern would be what you seem to have already discovered--that the HD fix is not a permanent resolution to the problem. On the 08 Nightster the front of the two top clips also has a little pop-in piece that holds the clip to the bike. This piece is also not holding. So both the portion of the clip that holds the battery cover AND the portion that pops in to attach to the bike are bad.The top frontclip is the one I've replaced entirely witha pull tie. Theclip on the topback is also not holding the cover well, though, so far, is staying attached to the bike. This backclip is the one I'd drill a hole in to insert a pull tie. The front one already has matching holes, so no drilling necessary. So, unless the dealer does some cool fix like you did, I'll tell them to leave it alone and work out something else.

Hey, 07HD Nightster--glad your paint wasn't damaged when this happened to you--it's very nice.

And Sporty Pig, so sorry you lost your cover and couldn't find it--not fun! I like your pic and previously thought that maybe you were displaying such a warm gesture because you were so happy it was someone's wedding day (for reasons unkown :-)...but now I think it's because maybe you lost your battery cover on the way there ! And good advice to fix it anyway...

[IMG]local://upfiles/47766/5214AE2170444D64B23ED902C40D31EE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-06-2008, 06:07 PM
07HDnightster
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Mark g

Simple fix, just drill a hole threw the clip where the hole is in the cover and put a zip tie or wire tie threw the hole.

Just did this to mine and it works like a charm. It definately is a simple fix.....Thanks Mark g

Quick Reply: battery cover tin not staying latched