Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Up on a Nightster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 PM
WickedSlick
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Up on a Nightster?

Hey all,
I'm considering buying a new Nightster this year because I love the low, simple, classic look to it, and being a short, simple, classic kind of guy I think this bike that would suit me fine. Thing is, with a new bike my wife will want to come along for rides too, so I was wondering how do the Nightsters look with two-up seats and is it easy to change back and forth between seat choices as your mood permits. Also are there any other mods that need to be considered (other then foot pegs) for two-up riding on a Nightster? If it helps any, my and the wifes combined weight is about 275 lbs.

Thanks

Steve

P.S.- Any pics of Nightsters with two-up seats would be appreciated as well

Old 03-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Two Up on a Nightster?

Tell her to get her own damned bike!

And people wonder why the Amazon won't marry me...

Old 03-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a badlander seat and passenger pegs.

Badlander keeps the low profile look but will allow my wife to ride along for short rides.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The short answer is yes, kinda sorta....

First of all, you'll have to get passenger pegs. Then invest in a two up seat. Then maybe get a mini sissy bar so she won't feel like she's going to slide off the back of the bike during acceleration. Then you might have to go to better shocks. Then after all that, she might decide the ride still sucks, and then you may try to get a better seat, before realizing it's not the right bike for two up riding.

The Nightster is specifically designed for solo riding using an "average" 180 lbs. male as a benchmark. That makes the bike only 3.9" off the ground at the bottom of the frame. I'm not sure of the shock travel from the rear fender to the rear tire, but it's not much. Shocks set on the stiffest setting with a two up seat will get you and your honey around if you're careful to avoid potholes, speed bumps, and don't corner like Freddie Spencer. The ride won't be cushy, though. 11" Progressive 412BLACK shocks will do you pretty well with what you want to do, given the weight, though. I say get the BLACK shocks because that colorgoes well with the Nightster. Progressive 412's are good shocks, much better than stock, and you can ride two up with them more comfortably than stock, with less chance of bottoming out and scraping the fender on the rear tire. I don't have a Nightster, but I do have black 11" Progressive 412 on my Low. Love 'em.

Now for the seat. Seats are subjective because every butt is different. I haven't heard anything bad about C&C seats: high quality, reasonable price, and it's a pretty darn low seat! You'll have to call them about the Nightster, though because their website still listed only up to '06 Sportster models last time I visited. I have the HD Reach two up seat on my Low. I ride solo, but I carry stuff on the pillion and strap it to the sissy bar, and the rider portion is great for my short stature. Comfortable, too. More expensive but great seats are the Mustang and Corbin seats. Seats made to fit HD are ridiculously simple, easy and quick to change out, so yes, you can change out seats as the mood strikes, but a two up seat loses the Nightster's look.

If your bride wants to ride with you regularly, then the Nightster is NOT the bike to get! The 1200 Low or Custom would be much better for two up riding and would look a lot better with two up seat and sissy bar (so she won't fall off the back during stoplight or on-ramp acceleration!). Bacon Grease had the best suggestion....let her ride her own bike! Maybe that's not an option just yet, but it's worth exploring for later. That way you won't be stuck with an inferior bike for two up riding and she won't feel left out when she stops riding withyou due to the possible discomfort.

Talk all of this over with her. The bike is specifically designed for SOLO use. It's not comfortable for two up riding but CAN be made to accomodate it. If you get any other Sportster model, you may end up getting Progressiveshocks and a different seat ANYWAY, so keep that in mind, too. YouWILL have to get passenger pegs for the Nightster, though. The other models come with them already on the bike.

Teek

[IMG]local://upfiles/32340/EB2CBDBD652C441B8B8E96C9D5BB74CE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32340/8A4D2612020A454B96142E2FBD1C57BB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-02-2008, 06:33 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

... and raise the rear back up to normal height to avoid compression to her spine. The lowered looks may be ok to some (eh...), but lowering the bike, especially as much as they slam the rear on those, is pretty nasty for handling and reduces overall suspension functionality. In short... harsh.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:09 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

One of the dealers here showed me a Nightster that a guy had a two-up seat installed by them, and pegs. I sat on it and the passenger pegs are way forward (felt like forward controls), and the rear of the seat sloped down trying to keep a clean look. He hadn't done it yet, but he's definately going to need a sissy bar or he's going to lose the passenger. The peg position is going to cause the passenger to automatically lean backward and the slope of the seat is going to eject her right off. The pegs justwon't give a passenger anyleverage at all. Their legs will be useless as a means of staying on the bike.

Wasn't my cup of tea, especially visioning a sissy bar on it.

If my wife insists on riding with me, I'll have to get a 1200c instead of the Nightster.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:26 PM
LdyMjo
Tourer

Teek is righton the solo design issue.I have an 08 Nightster and the The HD 2008 Sportster Models Owner's Manual says specifically that Nightsters are designed for solo riding. I went went one-up, versus two-up, for this reason. If you plan on carrying a passenger, Manual says to "see dealer for high capacity suspension options."

[IMG]local://upfiles/47766/CAE26BD4B35A40F38F04A7C542BFC45D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-02-2008, 01:04 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Two-up on a Nightster will never be comfortable... Or pretty (two-up seats significantly detract from the look)... But if it must be done... I would suggest a quick off passenger pillon and a detachable sissy bar... You are probably going to scratch up your rear fender.... Maybe just buy the bike and then tell her you found out it was just a solo ride

Old 03-02-2008, 01:36 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I did find a detachable fender rack for the Nightster on HD's website. I wonder if you could put a pillion on it occasionally? Oh well, the wife doesn't want to ride with me for a year or two. Has bad allergies. By then, I'll have talked her into her own bike, or upgrading to a Softail Custom.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Werbeck
Tourer

We ride two-up on the Nightster all the time, but just for short rides. I bought a Sidekick seat, padded sissy bar and luggage rack. This set up seems to work OK. Takes less than 5 minutes to swap back to solo, not a big deal at all. Here's a pic...

[IMG]local://upfiles/19046/861B95C5D1EE4B69A422D0361AC3A1E3.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Two Up on a Nightster?