Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NIghtster Feedback...help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Kiwibiker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NIghtster Feedback...help!!

Hi Everyone,

I have just ordered a new Nightster which arrives in 09 April and i cant find any specs on the new model.
I have also noticed alot of feedback regarding the suspension or lack of.
I am 5'8 and weigh about 160lbs ...is this gonna be a problem for me ...do i need to upgrade the suspension.
This is the first harley i have owned ..do i need to run this in before upgrading the exhaust etc and what exhausts do you recommend (looking for nice and loud of course)

Cheers

Old 03-01-2008, 07:12 AM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NIghtster Feedback...help!!

Ride it first then if you want forwards go for it, and if the suspension is too hard or too soft (too soft[sm=lol.gif]) then swap it out for something to suit you. As for break in, you can baby the bike for a while if that puts your mind at ease. Me personally after about 100 miles I like to beat the **** out every toy I own cause if I'm going to be paying for something I better be enjoying it. Besides thats what maintenance is for you break it you fix it. It's nice having something new but no matter how much you baby it it won't be new too long.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:57 AM
07HDnightster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bradley Jones

Ride it first then if you want forwards go for it, and if the suspension is too hard or too soft (too soft[sm=lol.gif]) then swap it out for something to suit you. As for break in, you can baby the bike for a while if that puts your mind at ease. Me personally after about 100 miles I like to beat the **** out every toy I own cause if I'm going to be paying for something I better be enjoying it. Besides thats what maintenance is for you break it you fix it. It's nice having something new but no matter how much you baby it it won't be new too long.
That's some good and truthfull info right there......

Old 03-05-2008, 07:23 PM
En4sir98
Advanced

Although I'm 5'10" and 165lbs, I decided to install a pair of Progressive 412's for two reasons. 1), I was hoping to soften the ride up a bit, and 2) I liked the idea of having black shocks on the bike. I stayed with the stock length (11 inch) as I didn't want to raise the rear end. The 11 inch Progressives softened-up the ride a little without raising the rear. IMO it was money well spent.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49429/88FFCDF09A6B4EE5AB6537F3D1DF9306.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 PM
kawsakimx6
Road Warrior

wait, you ordered a bike that shows up in over a year?

Old 03-05-2008, 07:31 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That is what it seems he said. Unless he meant April 9th

Old 03-05-2008, 11:10 PM
NuBob
Intermediate

It's a little harsh...

But that's the point.

Do want a hot looking lowered bike or a couch like ride?

choose wisely.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Kiwibiker
Novice

Thats right April 09, there are a couple 07/08 models here at the moment with 2000kms on the clock but i want a brand new one.
Also i will be getting the new model nightster(apparently)...not sure of specs yet.
As you would expect being at the bottom of the world we get bikes later than everyone else.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:10 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

I'm pretty darn sure that the go-fast specs are the same for your half of the planet.. Engine, trans, forks, shocks, and tank. Your bike may even run a bit better down under- itmaybebetter than the 14.7 AFR here in the states. If it is, it'll be a bit more powerful, and a bit cooler as well.

5'8" is a better height for this bike than my 6'0". I weigh in at 240#, and I bottom the bike on sharp bumps. Otherwise it acts like I'm 100 pounds lighter. No probs with handling, braking, etc. Just watch the bumps - more for ground clearance issues than suspension travel. It rides harder than other bikes, but it's supposed to. It completely kicks a$$, and it looks great doing it.

I advise breaking it before doing anything to it. Mostly so you don't waste $$ on something you decide later didn't need to be upgraded. Leaves you $$ for all the other things you've just gotta change, LOL!

One word of caution: if you ride it like most Nightster owners do, it'll pass anything but a gas station!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:15 AM
birdmove
Cruiser

I'd heard the British Nightsters had the longer rear shocks (maybe the ones fro the 1200R?)-maybe the Austrailian ones will too? If so, it should give a better ride and more cornering clearance.

jon

Quick Reply: NIghtster Feedback...help!!