Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got in my first wreck!! YAY!!!f

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:32 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default got in my first wreck!! YAY!!!f

YAY!

I got ****ing rear ended at an intersection. I was at 15 mph and she was on a cell phone doing 45.

I never been in a wreck before, but I didnt freeze up. I knew to stay off the brake, let her car push me and dont fight it, cuase its going to happen. i just focused on keeping the bike UP while she was pushing me.

I ended up keeping it up, when she finally came to a stop i let the bike fall over and got off, no damage to me.

my rear fender and struts are gone though, and my bike went down with a fight, her front end is banged up badly.

pics!!

yesterday I read the post of the other guy on HDForums who is freaked out by his bike after his wreck...

i thought i would be, but the moment i got her started i rode it hard. there is no damage to any other part of the bike but the rear fender and struts. I checked.

I was on my lunch break and i called my boss and he came down with tools to help me set the fender straighter.

Laidlaws HD wants 200 bucks for an OEM fender, but my indy gave me a spare he had for 20 bucks. his shop was the first place i rode after the crash, for some reason, it was full of people (it never is) and they were just amazed that the bike still ran and could be driven. we had a good laugh over it hahahaha

i need to find a place with the stock struts or ones that will fit thats open tomorrow.

All my lights work so it is just a matter of sanding the new fender to bare metal (it has old paint and very light surface rust on it) and repaiting it and fitting it.

my fender strut looks ok in the picture but its proken in half actually, the two halves were too close to show it.

you can see where it crumpled under the taillight, and where the fender rubbed my tire under the oil tank.

what do you guys think?

and yes im TOTALLY thankful to be alive, i know if i didnt keep the bike upright she would have squashed me.... but im also not making too big a deal of it. this is the risk i accept everytime i get on the bike, and im not going to cry over it. just pay to fix it and be glad it didnt cost more. and move on with my life

the insurance should cover damages. I wasnt carrying the papers ON ME at the time of the incident, so the CHP cited me, he explained to me that i have to show up in court and prove that i had insurance at the time of the accident to not pay any fines or stuff. I beleive him becuase i dont know how this stuff works, maybe you guys could explain it to me better? is what he said true?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:33 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: got in my first wreck!! YAY!!!f

im also thankful old sportsters were built like tanks.

riding on a new one, geeze all my plastic bits would be toast!! and that include a lot of stuff haha

Old 02-29-2008, 09:33 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I'm gonna take out a million dollar insurance policy on this boy [8D]

Old 02-29-2008, 09:37 PM
lowlife87
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad your ok bro... and i like to smack people on there cellphones!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:38 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, if it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. [&:]

Glad you are ok and the bike suffered only minimal damage.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:38 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man Im glad you're OK!
If you had no POI they will give u a ticket and drop it when you go to court. But I would made ther adjuster look at the bike before I fixed it for sure... then fix it cheap after they cut you a check

Good riding dude, keepn her up and level. WTG.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I think you had someone or something watching over you, that could have been a whole lot worse. Glad you are ok.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure how much was luck and how much was skill, but you sure had the right balance today. That's a crappy way to get hit, and I'm really glad you're here tellin' us about it.

ORIGINAL: JosephGarcia

YAY!

I got ****ing rear ended at an intersection. I was at 15 mph and she was on a cell phone doing 45.

I never been in a wreck before, but I didnt freeze up. I knew to stay off the brake, let her car push me and dont fight it, cuase its going to happen. i just focused on keeping the bike UP while she was pushing me.

I ended up keeping it up, when she finally came to a stop i let the bike fall over and got off, no damage to me.

my rear fender and struts are gone though, and my bike went down with a fight, her front end is banged up badly.

pics!!

yesterday I read the post of the other guy on HDForums who is freaked out by his bike after his wreck...

i thought i would be, but the moment i got her started i rode it hard. there is no damage to any other part of the bike but the rear fender and struts. I checked.

I was on my lunch break and i called my boss and he came down with tools to help me set the fender straighter.

Laidlaws HD wants 200 bucks for an OEM fender, but my indy gave me a spare he had for 20 bucks. his shop was the first place i rode after the crash, for some reason, it was full of people (it never is) and they were just amazed that the bike still ran and could be driven. we had a good laugh over it hahahaha

i need to find a place with the stock struts or ones that will fit thats open tomorrow.

All my lights work so it is just a matter of sanding the new fender to bare metal (it has old paint and very light surface rust on it) and repaiting it and fitting it.

my fender strut looks ok in the picture but its proken in half actually, the two halves were too close to show it.

you can see where it crumpled under the taillight, and where the fender rubbed my tire under the oil tank.

what do you guys think?

and yes im TOTALLY thankful to be alive, i know if i didnt keep the bike upright she would have squashed me.... but im also not making too big a deal of it. this is the risk i accept everytime i get on the bike, and im not going to cry over it. just pay to fix it and be glad it didnt cost more. and move on with my life

the insurance should cover damages. I wasnt carrying the papers ON ME at the time of the incident, so the CHP cited me, he explained to me that i have to show up in court and prove that i had insurance at the time of the accident to not pay any fines or stuff. I beleive him becuase i dont know how this stuff works, maybe you guys could explain it to me better? is what he said true?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:49 PM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe -- I am glade you are okay, and that was a hell of job to keep the bike up.

But dude this is the third thing this week. You better be in Church on Sunday. Be careful, and glade you are okay.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:54 PM
KSCruiser
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you're okay Joe. But, you have to be the luckiest - unluckiest person I have ever seen. You should have your dealer or indylook over that bike over really good before you decide it's okay.

Quick Reply: got in my first wreck!! YAY!!!f