Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth joining local chapter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:49 PM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is it worth joining local chapter?

I agree with fast gto they need to get younger riders involved. I am not that young I am +45 and I wouldn't join those piratesat my dealership. I have heard that at one local chapter in DFW theygot rid of the old guard and installed new leadership. I will check them out.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I contemplated it at first myself, I liked gettin that goody bag personally, but I never did much checking into any local chapter stuff. Not much was publicized on my dealers site, but I did do one local run with the hog group last september, just since it was advertised. I enjoyed it, had a good day, and a good meal. But I do a lot of poker runs and ride solo alot, and I also like the guys that show up on the ol panheads, and bikes that arent brand new all the time. I always want to learn more from them, as well as from the hog riders ive met. Im up for riding with any group though, but enjoy going solo that much more too.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:35 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bacon_Grease

ORIGINAL: jagator

I am in the same boat. I am not much for group rides at this point so I don't think I will join the local club.
+1. I don't ride with people that I don't trust and a dang sure don't ride in groups.

But, then, I'm anti-social. *grin*
+1 I ride with some friends; been riding with them a long time. I'm not into big crowds or anonymous riding groups.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:32 PM
ontcanuck
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Last year I was a member of the Sportster club and the local HOG chapter. The Sportster club membersare a lot younger and a lot more fun but they don't go on many rides. The HOG chapter go on a lot of rides but I feel out of place most guys are around 60 and ride Electra Glides. Most of the time the wife and I feel invisable nobody seems to notice us maybe because of the Sporty.Unless I own a Electra Glide or some other large Harleybagger I will not belong to the local chapter,just my 2 cents

Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The local chapter at the Cleveland Motor sales has a double rewards points for members.That is a good thing.They also do alot of rides.I am not a local member though.I don't know any of there members so I never joined

Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Dameon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my bike the dealer paid for one years membership to my local chapter, I looked on their website but didn't really see much that I was interested in, so I don't know that my membership will do anything for me.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:03 AM
CoyoteJoe
Banned

For what its worth, my closest dealer is Wildfire, in Villa Park (North and 83) and they tell me they are the largest chapter in this area. The guys in the parts department have been telling me this, and they all seem to be on the same page. They say the chapter is so big, they have multiple rides going on all the time and you can hang out with the groups that you like. I went on a charity ride last summer, 300-500 bikes, TV crews, it was the largest ride I was ever on at the time. I personally haven't joined the chapter yet, but I want to check it out, but I'm having problems getting there on thier meeting night cause of work and stuff.

Maybe we could linkup for a ride sometime this summer too!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:13 AM
ChefE
Tourer

I got a free one year membership to the local chapter here when I bought the bike. I don't know if I will ever go to any of the monthly get togethers or rides with them because of my work schedule (working in a kitchen doesn't give a whole lot of free time). They also gave me a 1 year membership to the National HOG and i don't know if I will even renew that when it's up. I'm not even a member of the Trade association for my profession (can't justify $200/year for something I don't see giving any real benifit). I guess I'm not much of a joiner anyway.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:08 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's worth it if you NEED the services...I dunno about being an active member though...but then again, I don't get along too well with the HOG members I run into down here in Phoenix...they're usually just not my crowd...and the activities just aren't my cup o' tea.

In fact...I usually NEVER ride with anyone but the 3 I always have (and rarely even them!)...and I tend to be a bit unfriendly when people I don't know think it's ok to just latch onto my *** because I'm on a harley and they are too. Basically...I'm not a fan. Yes, this applies to more than just the HOG guys that all ride together, but they're the ones I usually run into, so I've become annoyed with them as of late.

The bottom pic in my sig is there for a reason...and mainly applies to my ability to be kind when riding with others...but that's just my take on it. I'd probly get kicked out for being mean anyways.

It's MY f*ckin road, dammit! [sm=icon_beat.gif]

Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It's MY f*ckin road, dammit! [sm=icon_beat.gif]

I'm not dammit, I'm jesus. [sm=hail.gif][sm=grinangel.gif]

Quick Reply: Is it worth joining local chapter?