Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth joining local chapter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:56 PM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Is it worth joining local chapter?

Most chapters will have a website with a direct link to it from the HD dealers website. Go look around at the links in the local chapers websites. You'll see pictures of the members and their bikes complete witha ride calendar. You can see where they have ridden to and where they plan on riding. That might help you decide.

Good luck

Old 02-26-2008, 04:58 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just depends on the chapter, and the composition of the membership. The first local chapter I joined sucks. At least for me. Their motto is "We Ride" WHAT A JOKE! They find more reasons NOT to ride than they ride.They cancel rides and events because "it's too cold", "it's too rainy", it's too far", it's too HOT". So, I'm not sure when they actually ride. Their membership is also mostly a munch of old farts on Ultra Classics that look really nice on the trailers the bike rides on. But, it's the dealership that is closest to me, and it's worth the $20 per year dues to get 10% discount on all my purchases there, plus the additional coupons they send to the membership occasionally for a one day 25% discount sale. I bought my Sundower seat with one of those "one day 25% sale coupons". That's a $270 seat.....do the math.

I joined another local Chapter that is about 30 miles away. I enjoy that one, they are fun!

So, I have a duel local chapter membership.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:17 PM
brainfrz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.mchenryhog.com/index.html- They've got some cool looking rides planned. I'll probably join this year and see how this one is. If not, I suppose I could always join another chapter...?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:44 PM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the same boat. I am not much for group rides at this point so I don't think I will join the local club.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig
"We Ride" WHAT A JOKE! They find more reasons NOT to ride than they ride.They cancel rides and events because "it's too cold", "it's too rainy", it's too far", it's too HOT". So, I'm not sure when they actually ride.
What Sporty wrote is what I've seen of "local chapters." They are a social group, not a riding group. For social activities I would join Masons & then Shriners. Same age group, lots more activities and fun.
I am a "lifetime" HOG member. I've got the 100k pins & patches & all that propoganda is fun to make fun of.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: fast gto

I'm contemplating the same thing, just hope all of them aren't in their 50's with leather vests and tons of flare.
"We're not in Kansas anymore"....

Old 02-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Flatlander

Don't know about where you are in Illinois-who is your local dealer? I know the chapter down here seems to specialize in short rides to the ice cream shop. No kidding.
WTF? Did you accidentally join the GWRRA?[8D]

Old 02-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interestingly enough HOG is at a point where they need to get the younger crowds involved in the chapters. Look at the bikes they are putting out. The guys in the local chapters are the ones who started them in the 80's and now their membership includes all their friends, which is why the normal age is 40+.

Hell, my dad started one of the first local chapters in Germany while in the Army.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jagator

I am in the same boat. I am not much for group rides at this point so I don't think I will join the local club.
+1. I don't ride with people that I don't trust and a dang sure don't ride in groups.

But, then, I'm anti-social. *grin*

Old 02-26-2008, 07:48 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hog members around here=rubs ...my local chapter is a bunch of yuppy rubs and i wouldnt ride with them if they were the last people to ride with..

Quick Reply: Is it worth joining local chapter?