Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about the fuel injected Sportsters

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:45 AM
RMT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the fuel injected Sportsters

I just got a 2007 883C for my first bike and I have a couple of questions. I really want to put a set of Bassani Pro-Street pipes on it. I was talking with the assistant parts manager at the dealer where I got it and he told me that I would have to do more than just re-flash the computer. Is this true? If so what all would I need?

Also my dad has a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner CD for is Softail that he said I could use when they have to tune my bike for the exhaust. Anyone know if it will work on mine?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Questions about the fuel injected Sportsters

I'm not an expert on the fuel infected bikes, but from what I understand the PC-III with the O2 eliminators seem to be the hot ticket. Also I have no experience with the company but others here have had great results getting it from http://www.fuelmotousa.com/since they offer free expert tech advice when setting the bike up.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:02 AM
tom071200c
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The HD flash should work fine for just a stage one upgrade. I'm pretty sure you CANNOT use the SERT that your dad has. I read something about having to have the VIN in order to use it. maybe I'm wrong. I will second the PC III; I just got one from fuelmoto and the bike runs awesome.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Gulfstream
Advanced

ORIGINAL: RMT

I just got a 2007 883C for my first bike and I have a couple of questions. I really want to put a set of Bassani Pro-Street pipes on it. I was talking with the assistant parts manager at the dealer where I got it and he told me that I would have to do more than just re-flash the computer. Is this true? If so what all would I need?

Also my dad has a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner CD for is Softail that he said I could use when they have to tune my bike for the exhaust. Anyone know if it will work on mine?
If you're just adding the pipes (no A/C) you should not need the flash or a fuel adder. The SERT cannot be used on another bike, it "marries" itself to the first bike it's hooked to.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:13 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

yea what he said above,

I have a 2008 883 and have Rush slip ons and SE A/C and SERT. Once you use that SERT on a bike it gathers the VIN,etc. and it is with the bike forever. You will not use it on another bike. Like they said above, exhaust change should not need a remap period. That dealer remap is a joke, I wouldn't waste my money.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:43 PM
RMT
Cruiser

Well my plan is to eventually get a SE A/C but right now the bike is just way too quiet. I would rather do after market pipes like the Bassani Pro-Street or V&H Shortshots than a set of slip ons. So would something like the Bassani or V&H end up throwing a code? Would I need to get a set of MIL eliminators for it? I am coming from the car world so I am used to aftermarket exhaust ending up throwing a check engine light. This being my first bike this is still all somewhat new to me.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:53 PM
hot77vette
Tourer

rmt buy the pipes install them & ride the wheels off your bike as long as you dont change your air cleaner you dont have to remap i promise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RMT

Well my plan is to eventually get a SE A/C but right now the bike is just way too quiet. I would rather do after market pipes like the Bassani Pro-Street or V&H Shortshots than a set of slip ons. So would something like the Bassani or V&H end up throwing a code? Would I need to get a set of MIL eliminators for it? I am coming from the car world so I am used to aftermarket exhaust ending up throwing a check engine light. This being my first bike this is still all somewhat new to me.
Coming from the Automotive world you are probably aware that when you add a free flowingair cleaner and a free flowing exhaust (eliminating the Cat) you do need to richen the air/fuel ratio to compensate forall the extra air that you can move.
It may or may not throw a code with slip-ons but with a free flowing exhaust like bassani pro streets, it will probably run way lean (since it's already too lean from the factory thanks to the hippiesfrom the EPA)
If you plan on running a free flowing a/c than youneed todo a remap of some sort. I suggested a PC-III with O2 eliminators simply because you could save some$$ by buyingpipes for an 04-06 that don't have O2 bungs.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:56 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a question about this also. Every time I changed the air filter and exhaust on my trucks (89 S-10, 98 Ram Sport, and 01 Dakota R/T), the only thing I did was disconnect the batteryfor a while to dump the memory, then started it up and ran the crap out of it for a while so it could "learn" the new settings it wanted. Would that not work on these new bikes? (Last bike I had was a 1980 Low Rider bowling machine ((AMF)). It didn't have much in the way of electronics.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 PM
techdct
Advanced

If you have to re-map, I would do the Stage I (air cleaner) at the same time. The expensive part is purchasing the SERT and having it dyno'ed and flashed. I had a 2007 Sportster that I put SE II Slip ons and SE Stage 1. They were able to re-flash with SERT without having to dyno. If you go with an odd ball setup that is not already in one of the supplied SERT tables they have to pick a map that they think is close and then dyno it and adjust the map for your bike. Don't want to go through all that twice.

On my 2007 FXSTC I went with Vance/Hines BS Staggered, SE Stage 1, and SERT. They put it on the dyno for that configuration as well.

Quick Reply: Questions about the fuel injected Sportsters