Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with Nightster Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:11 AM
black87ttop
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with Nightster Questions

Hello all, my names anthony and im new to the forums. Funny thing happened on friday afternoon. Me and a buddy were out bs'ing because we got a snow storm, and we decided to go to the local harley shop. Well were both hooked on nightsters now!!! So it looks like in the summer we will be picking up two 08's hopefully. My problem is, i only sat on it quickly in the showroom, but im 6'2 and about 250, is my size gonna be a problem on this bike? Are there any other guys close to my height and weight that ride these bikes? I def. want the forward controls, i dont think i will take the bike unless they throw that into the deal for me, lol. I just dont think it would work for me without them. My buddy ryan is in love with the black nighster, i think its vivid black?, well i talked to the sales man and i asked him if they offered that bike in flat black, similiar to the black denim nightrod vrscdx. He told me yes, but that they didnt have any in stock. I dont see this color as an option anywhere except with the two tone silver one.So maybe he was misinformed, i dunno. Im pretty sure i want the mirage orange and black nightster tho, unless they do have an all flat black version. And does anybody know if harley dealserships take trade in's on non harleys. I have a 1986 kawasaki 454 ltd cruiser with 8000 miles, i will probably just sell privately tho. Thanks guys.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:26 AM
XLXR
Novice
Default RE: New member with Nightster Questions

At your weight, the suspension will be very uncomfortable. I highly suggest getting a Roadster instead. I have worked with Nightster and Roadster suspensions. Suspensions on both bikes will need total overhaul, but the end result of the Roaster will be much better because of the additional travel. I own a Roadster and weigh 260 lbs.

Unless of course you are determined to put struts on the Nightster, then the only thing you have to worry about is dragging parts in the corners.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:31 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, I'd look at a Dyna StreetBob....they can be ordered with some pretty sweet custom paint sets and still have that semi-bobber look. They're a bit more suited to your size. My mom's boyfriend has one and he's about 6'3' 260lbs...he looks like an elephant riding a peanut on my bike...which is a bit longer, lower, and more stretched out than a Nightster. (It's raked and the bars are set forward.)

You could dump money into setting up the nighty, but I honestly believe you'd be happier with the Dyna.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:45 AM
black87ttop
Novice

well i do love the dyna street bob with the denim black paint job, but its puttin me in a little higher than what i wanted tp spend monthly payment wise. Maybe i will just have to come up with more of a downpayment, if you guys think i will really be that big on a nightster.[X(]

Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 AM
black87ttop
Novice

I just want to get something and ride, i wont do much to the harley, just exhaust and maybe some bs stuff here and there. Def forward controls tho.
I have two mustangs and a lifted dodge ram that get a lot of my time as well. and money for that matter lol

Old 02-25-2008, 03:55 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

Well it's honestly just an opinion, I'm just saying that from personal experience with someone that's gone through deciding between the two. Ultimately it's on you and what you can do to get riding, of course. I just think it would be a hassle to spend all that money to set up a bike that ultimately won't really suit you comfort wise as well as the Dyna would.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:59 AM
cococardenas
Advanced

I have to agree that the bike might not be for you, i am 195 and 6'0. I had to go with progressive 440s and fork springs just to get a decent ride. If modding the bike is not on your list of things to do, i also recomend you go another road.

This is a great bike, but very small.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:07 AM
black87ttop
Novice

so maybe the dyna street bob would be better suited for me? This sux kinda , because i fell in love with the style and badassness looks of the nightster, damn.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:09 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey, it's not so bad....check out the Dyna pictures thread on here and you'll see that it's just a big ol' sportster in the end

Don't tell em I said that though...they hate it.

Seriously though, you CAN use a peanut tank on a Dyna, you CAN find fork boots, fenders, bars, pipes, and other accessories to make it LOOK like a giant Nightster...hell, that might make a damn fun project, in all reality.

The frames and general styling are very similar overall when you really stand back and look at em side by side....the Dyna is just bigger.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:20 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I ride a 1200 C. I'm 5'10. 180 lbs. As much as I would love to recommend my bike I honestly suggest you consider the Dyna lineup.

Quick Reply: New member with Nightster Questions