Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lastest pic with rigid rear end and handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:49 PM
txoval
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lastest pic with rigid rear end and handlebars

See my sig pic...rode for about 200 miles today, the 1s thing I did wasorder some 4.5" straight risers and the 2nd thing I did was soak my *** in hotwater

Old 02-24-2008, 05:14 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Lasted pic with rigid rear end and handlebars

Why complain about your *** hurtin when you took off the rear shocks? Although your ride looks quite the killer ride I always wonder why everyone that swaps out the rear shocks for rigid struts then complains about why their *** is killin' them!

[sm=interesting.gif]

Old 02-24-2008, 05:33 PM
txoval
Road Captain

I guess because until you do it you don't know how good/bad it will be. For me it wasn't that bad since I'm keeping them on.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:43 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bike looks good.
If ya like hard-tail then do the real deal and have Pat from www.ledsledcustoms.com weld a hardtail kit on it (will look better and ride a little different then struts from what I'm told). Of course after cost of hardtail, new fender, seat, relocating wiring & paint it aint cheap but a true rigid is badass looking.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:16 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Weld-on hardtail is my next step....I can't wait. And yeah, Ledsled or Kansas City Customs is the way to go. Hardtail struts are kind of ghetto lookin if you ask me....they just don't look right.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:52 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

txoval.........did you make those struts?I was thinking of making a set out of someflatstock I have.I never liked the struts but they've been growing on me lately,especially since it seems everyone down here is doing a weld on.I was gonna swap frames for a rigid but I 've had some ideas latelyfor some different struts thatcurve in instead of being straight.It would be whole lot cheaper than a frame and definately different.Anyway ,I like 'em......the best part is you can switch back if you want.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36280/64C1F3517C644AE3BC4A96A75F33CD22.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

txoval, I couldn't imagine riding with drags without a 4-6 inch riser. My lower back is hurtin just lookin at the pics.
As far as the struts, I hear they make for easier burnouts. If you like 'em than that's all that matters.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 AM
txoval
Road Captain

Yes, I made the struts, probably went overboard and used 3/4" thick by 1.5" wide flat bar, but since it was free I wasn't going to complain.

As far as the weld-on kit goes, you might as well buy a rigid frame and rebuild your bike...and I like the idea of being able to put the shocks back on. As far as ghetto, I guess you could say it's a cheap fix, but it's a cleaner look to me, compared to shocks.

The risers are a must

Old 02-25-2008, 07:04 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not exactly, because buying a rigid frame requires you to use an MSO in place of you VIN. A weld on is more practical and also keeps you from having to fab motor mounts, balance and shim your engine, and a SLEW of other pain-in-the-*** work when using a brand new frame. Ie. using a paughco POS frame requires you to use different gussets, use shims to space your rear wheel correctly, requires you to use a different front end setup to maintain proper rake and trail (in most cases) and most times they're crooked as hell. Most other mass production frames are also MIG welded and I wouldn't trust that as far as I could throw it.

I'd take the weld-on kit that's built on a jig, TIG welded,and refined to perfection, myself.

And as far as swappin back...if you're down for the rigid ride, why go back [8D] just drop 10-15 lbs of air and enjoy the ride.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:31 AM
txoval
Road Captain

Don't get me wrong, from their website the conversions look great, but if I was going to go through the hassle of doing that, I'd build a bike from ground up

ORIGINAL: 6o66er

Not exactly, because buying a rigid frame requires you to use an MSO in place of you VIN. A weld on is more practical and also keeps you from having to fab motor mounts, balance and shim your engine, and a SLEW of other pain-in-the-*** work when using a brand new frame. Ie. using a paughco POS frame requires you to use different gussets, use shims to space your rear wheel correctly, requires you to use a different front end setup to maintain proper rake and trail (in most cases) and most times they're crooked as hell. Most other mass production frames are also MIG welded and I wouldn't trust that as far as I could throw it.

I'd take the weld-on kit that's built on a jig, TIG welded,and refined to perfection, myself.

And as far as swappin back...if you're down for the rigid ride, why go back [8D] just drop 10-15 lbs of air and enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: Lastest pic with rigid rear end and handlebars