Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:12 PM
danny1940
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster advice

I've got a deal pending on a new Nightster. Currently I ride a UJM. I'd like to hear from you nightster owners about your experience with this model. I'm trying to determine if I want this bike for it's looks which are perfect to my taste or if I'm making a totally irrationale decision. How's it go down the road? Has anyone done any serious miles on one and how did you feel after? Can I travel on this bike? I'm looking to some days up to 400-500 miles at a pop. Also any good ideas on bags or other means to carry a few things. I'm definitely into the Sportster models. the nightster fits me just right. I'm 5'6" at 180 so I need low and lean. Approaching age 59 so the bones ain't as goodas they used to be. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I need to get back to my dealer in a few days. Thanks, Dan

Old 02-23-2008, 12:22 PM
drbill
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightster advice

my wife has a 2007 Nightster that she loves=we've done several short trips together 100-200 mi. and she said it's bearable, but a change in seat with more cushioning might be nice- the Nightster is ok for trips and can be modified with bags, windshield and crash bars, we have windshield and bars on hers. A small luggage rack that mounts behind the seat, ie Motherwell is nice too for attachment of a small bag. I'm 51 and I ride hers , it's a nice bike but have you looked at the new Crossbones, it's a Softail that looks a lot like the Nightster as far as features go, but a better bike for long touring

Good luck- Dr. Bill[8D]

Old 02-23-2008, 12:48 PM
danny1940
Cruiser

Thanks doc. appreciate the tip on the motherwell and crossbones. I've heard/read the seat may be a long haul problem. I'll let you know what I decide. Damn, I love the look!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 328 Posts

You'll be happy.
Going from a UJM you'll find the 1200N ground clearance an issue. Yet,the 1200 just likes to be driven at legal speed limits, so again I think you'll be happy. I am w/ mine.
Some say 90 mph is the top comfort mph that can be used for passing and actual top end is around 120 mph.
I also find the single front brake adequate.
The throttle to me seems to have twice the twisting lenght when compared to a UJM, yet not an issue.
Riding double is really not an option unless you upgrade to longer shocks.
As for the suspension and seat...I think most will agree that an upgrade of these is $500 + or - well spent.
Gas mileage varies, but I'd say figure on 100 miles to each tank full as an estimate, (Perhaps 120 miles if freeway driving only). not the greatest range out of this model's 3.3 gallon fuel tank.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:19 PM
BadMoon
Cruiser

I have enjoyed mine. I went on a road trip last fall from Dallas to New Orleans (500), Then t Pensacola (?), Then to Vicksburg Miss (?), and then back on into Dallas. Those were each days ride and I did fine. I had a Sundowner seat and a windshield and would'nt have made it without. I Did the whole ride at around 80 except the 2nd leg along the beach and would have much rather done it at 70 but the three road kings I was with could'nt ride quite that slow. I don't have any bags and don't expect to get any so I cannot comment on that part. The bike rides great and has more than enough power throughout. Suspension is quite stiff but I hear there are other shocks available to soften it up. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have if you get it!

Old 02-23-2008, 03:59 PM
danny1940
Cruiser

Everyone, thanks for the advice. I checked out the Crossbones. I'm still in the Nightster camp. Badmoon, any chance you have a picture of the windshield? Thanks for the road trip review. Sounds like the Nightster did just fine. I'm 99% into doing this deal, Ijust have the usual prepurchase 1000 question problem. Thanks again, Dan

Old 02-23-2008, 07:27 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi again (I say again, because I just answered your PM). I love my Nighster and can't understand the complaints people have with the stock seat, but everyone is different. I will be going on my longest trip so far in May, going from Massachusetts to Myrtle Beach SC. Maybe I'll feel differently about the seat after that. But right now, no plans to change. I changed out my handlebars because although I love the look of the stock bars, it was a bit too much reach for me, and my back was killing me. (I'm short - 5 foot 3-1/2 inches). I don't like to push beyond 115 miles, but I have gone 126 and there was still SOME gas in the tank. I love the pep the Nighster has, even over my 883 Low I had for a brief time. I love the handling on twisty turnies, and it's smooth on the super slab. I usually ride around 75 mph average but have gotten into it beyond that that to pass (or just because). I have had no problem with vibration. I do find it jars me a bit going over really bumpy roads, and I assume that could be dealt with by getting different shocks, but it really isn't THAT bad. I just think it's an AWESOME bike, performance wise, and and looks wise. My husband thinks it's a blast to ride, although he says it isn't the right bike for him as his regular ride.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Dameon
Tourer

I rode 2 up on my nightster to the beach one day and back the next, total of about 400 miles, and the stock seat seemed fine, the only problem I had was that my left leg fell asleep every 50 or sixty miles, I am positive this is due to the mid controls and having to leave my leg in the same position for so long, I am 99 percent sure highway pegs will solve this problem, I am looking into getting some now.

Perch, what kind of highway pegs do you have on yours??????????????

Old 02-23-2008, 07:58 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

welcome to the forum, danny

Old 02-23-2008, 08:02 PM
hot77vette
Tourer

danny buy the bike you wont regret it i have 4,000 miles on mine the big thing for comfort for me was to adjust the stock schocks to the last setting & install forward controls it made all the difference in the world for long rides & i still have the stock seat with no problem good luck & welcome to the forum.!!!!!!!!!!!long live the nightrats>>>>>>>>>>& gt;

Quick Reply: Nightster advice