Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do you wear a full face helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:54 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: do you wear a full face helmet?

Full face Arai only if it gets cold... otherwise, let the wind blow through the hair!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Racer_Rick
Cruiser

I wear one if it's cold or if I'm going on the highway. Around town I wear glasses. Always wear a full face helmet

Old 02-23-2008, 07:03 PM
20061200c
Intermediate

I all ways wear a full face its all black with ghost flames on it. In ct you do'nt need a helmet but I still wear it my friends alway make fun of me but who gives a **** I ride for my self any way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29921/2409D0E17858481BB0EFB83B3B469878.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29921/0F0136ABD4A24A80A70A479DC32C9156.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-23-2008, 07:08 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AndI certainly trust goverment officials

your diatribe was silly at best. Im not sure who won, you or the church lady.

On topic, My wife wears the fullface and I wear a half.

ORIGINAL: Brian1362
Also, the Secretary of the Department of Transportation had an accident in August of 2005, and said that she would either have severe head injuries or death from not having her helmet on.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:13 PM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3/4 HD Jet II. May switch to a full face. We don't have a helmet law in Florida. The helmet, and the class are the only requirements the wife had for me to get the bike. Not bad since I would have done both anyway.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:42 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wearing a full face helment is worse than being in an SUV...whats the point?...wheres the freedom?...JMPO...:&gt

Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ko4qc

Wearing a full face helment is worse than being in an SUV...whats the point?...wheres the freedom?...JMPO...:&gt
41 years of riding I don't wear a helmet. You hit a car at 40 mph your pretty much toast anyway. The Officer a few days ago was killed wearing a helmet. So what's the point?

Old 02-23-2008, 08:54 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wore a full face in my MSF class and didn't like it. I always wear a half and am probably going to buy a carbon fiber helmet. Part of the deal for me getting a bike was I had to wear a helmet and in Wisconsin with your permit you have to wear one so I did and ever after having my license for almost 2 years I feel weird without it on, like driving a car with no seatbelt.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:16 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

There was study completed recently on full face helmets and survivability. In the study, a rider involded in a wreck, wearing less than a full face helmet suffered a very high probability for death if his face was impacted in the jaw area. In the same senario, a rider wearing a full face helmet was much more likely to survive. However, the rider with the full face helmet ran a high risk of becoming a quadraplegic. It seems that the chin guard on a full face helmet gets pushed backwards into the jaw, causing the jaw to move reward, severing the spinal cord. I guess that makes for another personal choice, dead or live as a quad?

Old 02-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Nodaclu
Intermediate

Also in Vegas, helmets required.

My risk tolerence is lower then most who ride, so I've worn a full face since passing my MSF almost three years ago.

Just in the last 8 months, I've seen....

1) Came upon a rider near Lake Mead about two minutes after a tankslapper, where the guy high-sided a VRSC and landed face-first. He was riding with two others, and they had the situation under control, so I only stopped for a minute to check on them. He was a face full of blood, and they were trying to figure out how many teeth he'd lost. They were at two when I left.

2) Took the wife to the ER two weeks ago after she tore her knee up from a bad fall. The only other people there were the wife and riding partner of a guy on an E-Glide who went down in the Mojave National Preserve. This was only a 15 mph get off, but he also came down face first. I saw him after being treated as he was leaving. His face was a mess.

It wasn't lost on me that both of these guys would have been basically uninjured had they been wearing a full-face helmet.

I don't even bother trying to tell other people how to protect their head. People are passionate about their relative positions, and I have to respect that.

But for myself, I've already seen enough in a short amount of time to make the decision easy - even in the sweltering summer heat. (5 hours at 114+ is not only no fun, it's damn dangerous with a FF and full gear.) So this summer I'll just be smarter about what time of day I ride, instead of shedding gear.

Quick Reply: do you wear a full face helmet?