Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FuelPak question for those that have it

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:42 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default FuelPak question for those that have it

Hey Guys,

Well after reading about every thread known to man on the subject, I am sold on either the VH FuelPak or the SERF. I wanted to hear from those of you that have the FuelPak and SERF, could you tell a big difference in your bike and if so what was it?

Thanks

Old 02-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Nasty Nightster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FuelPak question for those that have it

When I first putthe stage 1 on my bike I went with the Fuelpak. I worked just fine. The onlyreason I switchedwas if the bike is acting up for some reason you have to rule out that it is not a fuelpak issue because it is inline with the ECM. With the SERT the ECM is remapped and there is no aftermarket computer device inline that could possibly be the issue. I feel they are both great products. The fuelpak is much more friendly on the wallet. If you decide on the FuelpakI have one I'll sell to you if you'd like. Just PM me. This is my .02 cents.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:50 PM
joakim
Advanced

The biggest issue I see with the FuelPak is that if neither of the canned maps works particularly well with your setup/bike, you're SOL. Ask me how I know... The FuelPak simply isn't adjustable by anyone other than V&H, and with adjustable I mean that there is no way of knowing what you are doing if you try to mess around with the settings. There are 20 something modes to adjust and each mode has a setting from like -50 to +50. Aha you say, piece of cake, if the bike is getting too much fuel in mode X I'll just down the number in mode X and have a nice day. Well it don't work that way, the settings aren't exponentially logical.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:01 PM
northern64
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts

Having just installed my fuel pack last night, i must say im dissapointed with the way it had to go in, i am fortunate nobody was around to hear the screams of agonizing frustration. I dont have any experience with other manufacturers and i have not even ran the bike yet but i just cant believe they mass produced something that is clearly such a pain in the butt to install. Just my honest and VERY humble opinion!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:02 PM
El Jinete Fantasma
Road Captain

I'm the one who bought joakim's FuelPak. You can never tell how it'll work. He had surging, and I believe he had V&H pipes on at the time. It works fine on mine (with Cycle Shacks). Not being able to dyno tune it will probably be an issue, but for now...
I haven'y even mention the unholy task of making it fit! Don't be fooled by the video on the V&H site. It's a bear!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:07 PM
jpowell490
Road Master

Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate it. I am not wild about bypassing the stock 02 sensors, but I might just call Jamie at FuelMoto and order the PCIII. I bought another PCIII from someone off Ebay (New) and it was bad, so I am a little leary of the PCIII, but hell maybe I just got a bad one.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:21 PM
joakim
Advanced

You never did let us know what happened after you reset the diagnostic code on your bike.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:27 PM
jpowell490
Road Master

Oh, Same damn thing, popped the code again, the error was P0118 ET Sensor Voltage Open/High EFI

I posted it in another thread here. What is that error anyway?

Jason

Old 02-22-2008, 03:57 PM
brainfrz
Cruiser

Coming from sportbikes, if you have the money get the PCIII. I'd stear clear from eBay though because the Chinese have been making fake PCIIIs for a couple years now and they do not function properly. As for my experience of the PCIII on the sportbike- AMAZING! It was night and day. Even before I put my full exhaust system on, I had a buddy at the time who knew a dyno certified tuner and he tuned my bike stock and even that made it more responsive!

Now as for the FuelPak- I'm a bit concerned because I picked one up for my setup- vance+hines pipes with screaming eagle air filter. Are these seriously that bad where it is hit or miss?

Old 02-22-2008, 04:15 PM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I've been running the Fuelpak on my 1200C for almost a year. K&N filter, V&H Shortshots. I have never had a problem with popping or any other fuel issue. V&H codes were spot on for my bike. Only problem I had was the install, it is not as easy as the video or instructions. After a couple cold brews, I tackled it again and it slipped right in... So if you have an issue with install, take a step back, have a cold one, try again... repeat if necessary...

Quick Reply: FuelPak question for those that have it