Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster throttle resistance/lady's hand

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:06 PM
LdyMjo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster throttle resistance/lady's hand

Ladies and Gents: Newbie on an 08 Nightster with a sensitive throttle, I think . I'm noticing that myreach to the front brake is a bit long--a medium-sized girl hand--and the throttle seems pretty touchy. I'm careful, careful with it and am wondering if this level of sensitivity is the norm. I don't want to startle her into a bad situation, so am looking for feedback from other Nightster owners, and the ladies, regarding the norm, common fixes, words of wisdom, and so forth. Thanks much!

[IMG]local://upfiles/47766/A846BA7E78CB40638B1C8B347B374D84.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts
Default RE: Nightster throttle resistance/lady's hand

The FI bikes are twitchy at first, put some miles on it and you will get used to it. You may be able to get some levers that are set back towards the bars a bit if the reach is too much but again I think a few miles will get you used to the stock ones. Personally my biggest issue was getting used to not hitting the throttle while using the right signal switch, especially with gloves on.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 PM
liddown
Cruiser

I found that if I hit a bug bump I would sometime throttle up [:-]... Try using the throttle resistance **** (star shaped wheel under the grip) and tighten it just a bit, not enough to stop the throttle from freely rotating back on its own. Just enough to add a bit of resistance to the twist... That helped me....

Old 02-21-2008, 09:41 PM
LdyMjo
Tourer

Thank you, very much,for the feedback.I will try a slightadjustment to the resistance ****, thoughotherwise will get some miles on her and see what I think at 1k.Practice has never beenthis muchfun !

[IMG]local://upfiles/47766/52246BE534ED40CB8077DA959FC36454.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 PM
BadMoon
Cruiser

"Reach" solo seat may be in order. Moves you forward a little. Or a big fat set of "APEs" to pull the bars to you. My wife rode mine around the block and did'nt like it,,,,,,bummer. She looks super hot on it!!!! She's lookin at the Buells.......Still smokin hot!!!! Enjoy it!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:54 PM
trispeed
Cruiser

Please don't use the resistance screw for this purpose; it's there as a cruise control out on the open road when you want to rest your right hand and keep a steady speed; it will only reinforce your habit of gripping the bars too tightly. You should be gripping lightly with loose wrists and elbows, for example. When you grip tightly, it's more difficult to make precision moves with the controls and allows the road surface irregularities to affect your control, as well. Your hands should operate the controls and your body does the bulk of the steering at anything past a walking pace.
Hope this helps, this is from a ex- pro racer and current instructor at the one of the largest track schools in the country.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:58 PM
BadMoon
Cruiser

I would have to agree, I have absolutly no credentials other than being a fellow rider but I think you should be perfectly comfortable without the aide of mechanical features. Please look into the seat or different bars.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:13 PM
LdyMjo
Tourer

Thanks guys--excellent advice, which is much appreciated. I will heed the voices of experience and will play it lighter and looser. My body likes the turns, though working with a touchy bike throttle is a newexperience--not Zen with it yet. I have the Close Classic seat from Corbin and the reach to the handlebars is good. Just have to get in sync with my throttle... Irecently turned 48--young enough to seek those moments of extreme enjoyment, yet old enough to want to live longand remember it all with abig smilefrom my rocking chair ! So my new mantra is 'light wrist and elbows, om...' Thanks again!

[IMG]local://upfiles/47766/90164BFE84A4498A8DDF90A03FF6B8E3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 AM
BGold
Intermediate

I agree! My daughter has a 07 nightster and I ride a softail heritage classic.I'm not sure if its a sensitive throttle or just that the bike is so light and has a lot of torque. However it dosnt seem to bother my daughter who is 5'4" and 107 lbs dripping wet.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:12 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had the problem of going over bumps and throttling up ... I found that if I position my hand on the grip with my wrist turned a little more toward me, rather than up over the grip, I alleviate that problem more. Not sure I am explaining it right, but it has helped. Plus over time, I just got used to it. (It was a lot more "touchy" than my 883L). And yes, I have to agree, "practice" has never been so much fun. I keep telling people that I have loved riding since I got my license just 3 years ago, but never felt it was so much "FUN" as since I got my Nightster.

Quick Reply: Nightster throttle resistance/lady's hand