Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOW seat needed for 06 sporty 883L

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Golfgurl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOW seat needed for 06 sporty 883L

I am looking for a SPECIAL seat to help LOWER the bike for me..

I am only 5ft and can't put my feet flat on the ground... is there a seat I can buy that will do this for me?
I cut out the padding of the stock seat and it helps a little but not enough to give me confidence. I am too afraid to ride.. if my feet touched flat it would help with my confidence (I HOPE)

Any suggestions? It looks like it has the shortest shocks already on it.. but I could be wrong.. I AM A NEWBEE.. never rode the bike.. help!

thanks..Lisa (golfgurl)

Old 02-18-2008, 07:58 AM
mrb302
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LOW seat needed for 06 sporty 883L

I think alot of folks would recoomend the HD Reach seat for you. I would also recommend calling C&C. They make some really nice looking seats and can customize one for you. www.ccseats.com

Old 02-18-2008, 08:14 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

[sm=exactly.gif]What mrb302 said. You might also consider lower rear shocks.

Last resort: Elevator Boots?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Last resort: Elevator Boots?
It's funny that you should mention this cHarley. I know of a couple of women who wear a taller heeled boot for riding just for this reason.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:14 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh....wow. elevator "BOOTS". Knowing cHarley....."BOOTS" was NOT the word I first read when I saw the post. [sm=escape.gif]

Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

OH MY! Another Georgia Peach on the forum. Welcome Lisa.
Any seat you find for an 883 will only take you about an inch closer to the earth at best. Most gals I see seem to go with a boot with a short blocky heel. I personally would prefer they wear stilettos but hey, it's a safety thing.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:32 AM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

A reach seat will make the problem worse, won't it? Those things are made to push you further forward to reach the pegs easier, not to sit you lower. Or am i mistaken?

I took a stock solo seat and chopped the foam until there was just enough left to look like a seat. It wasn't the most confortable but it looked good and lowered the seat height by 2 inches.

I would look into lowering the bike front and rear to make it easier for you. It will not only make it easier to touch the ground, but it'll look and handle better.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:20 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cHarley may have been joking but he may be right. My wife is your height and we were not able to get the seat height down far enough for her to be comfortable. We got the lowest seat we could and I am about to put on slightly shorter shocks, remember as you shorten the shocks the amount of travel in the rear suspension is reduced which could compromise rider comfort.

My wife bought Icon Bombshell boots, the ultimate in Elevator Boots. see link

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...s--610202.html

They are real riding boots with asole that grips and have decent ankle protection. Combine that with a 3 inch heel which should give you some confidence in reaching the ground. They also look great.

Good luck with the bike

Old 02-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Amzie
Road Captain

Hello & welcome from Oklahoma
My sister has the same problem, she is barely 5 ft 1. She did get the lowering for her bike, but a new pair of boots with a thick sole & thick higher heel took care of the problem all together. I ended up the amazon of the family - so I can't offer much help on the technical lowering of a cycle.
To really help on the confidence of you on a bike... I would recommend you check into a MSF (Motorcycle Safety course) in your area. I believe their web address is http://www.msf-usa.org/ ... on the site you can look up your local area/dates/times/etc.. I don't know if the price is the same across the nation. It cost me $200.00 & you do get a discount on your insurance for taking the course. I received not only a motorcycle insurance discount - but a cage one too.
Taking the course will give you valuable skills that will help you in more ways than I can possibly explain. It will make you a better and more confident driver of both a cycle & a vehicle. Some take it every few years just to brush up on skills.
Anyway, good luck & welcome!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 PM
ambersin
Novice

Lisa,
I am 5' exactly, still riding with the stock seat on my 2006 883L. I put on11" Progressive shocks (stock shocks are11 3/4") and raised the front forks 1/4" and that did it for me. I wasn't able to ride it until I put the shocks on. I put 9,000 km on it lastsummer with no problems. Good luck!

Lynn

Quick Reply: LOW seat needed for 06 sporty 883L