Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbuerators

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:19 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carbuerators

I'm reading this site http://www.harley-performance.com/index.html

and i got to this page

http://www.harley-performance.com/cv-carburetor.html

it is saying pre-1989 had a two bolt flange to connect the carb to the manifold. and those carbs werent very good. but 1989 and after used a CV that was pushed into a rubbed boot stuck on the manifold and held by the AC. this is what i have. but my bike is a 1988

sportsters came out with the evo in 1986, i assumed a carb change came with it

is it just a typo on the site? or is my carb from another bike???

also, i was looking at this

http://www.harley-performance.com/stage-1-carb-kit.html

new jets, stock and bigger for stage 1 ACs and pipes, and a new needle, lighter spring, gasket, drill to remove mixture screw cover, and all that stuff. wondering if it is worth it? they say it can really improve performance of a stock carb. but according to the info on the site my carb isnt even stock hahaha

just asking your guys opinions

Old 02-18-2008, 09:50 AM
FandA M
Road Captain
Default RE: Carbuerators

Thats interesting.I thought all earlyEvo Sportsters had the spigot mounted CV carb(just pushes on) like you say you have.
The CV carb is actually a good carb and with those modsyou will probably notice thedifference.It could be worth itif your gonna do it yourself

Old 02-18-2008, 10:04 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: FandA M

Thats interesting.I thought all earlyEvo Sportsters had the spigot mounted CV carb(just pushes on) like you say you have.
The CV carb is actually a good carb and with those modsyou will probably notice thedifference.It could be worth itif your gonna do it yourself
for awhile i was considering switching to a aftermarket mikuni or S&S or something carb. But I know these carbs can be tuned well.

but yea the model year thing is weird...

maybe they are trying to be general, like 1989 is when big twins went with the cv? and sportsters had it earlier?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 AM
FandA M
Road Captain

I had a Mikuni HSR42 on mine for a while and it was a mess.Great carb but I had to make an extension for the intake manifold to clear the right side petcock soI could use it.I could barely get my fingers in there to turn the petcock.This was a spigot type like the stock CV's so I also had to make brackets keep it in place.It was a just a bad setup and real pain in the assso I finally got rid if it.I'm running an old SU now and I love it.Same principle as the stock CV carb and I've got plenty of room now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36280/98A8507812AD4D2EACB67F228BAB0F77.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fanda, doesn't that carb and a/c get in the way of your leg? From the picture's standpoint it looks to stick out pretty darn far.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:02 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Fanda has mid controls, you can get away with a huge air cleaner and carb with mids.
To Joseph the carb mods are worth it, you can gain a lot of performance from a few small carb and exhaust mods.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

THanks for pointing that out jag1886, I missed that little detail. [>:]

Old 02-18-2008, 12:26 PM
FandA M
Road Captain

Yeah......it definately sticks out pretty far but like what Jag said it's not a problem with mids.I use my hwy pegs alot too and believe it or not it's really not in the way.I ride like a slouch ,so that may have something to do with it too

JG: the carb kit you were looking at seems relatively cheap.Alot cheaper than a new carb anyway.I would definately give it a try

Old 02-18-2008, 02:33 PM
LoneRyder
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Mikuni HSR42 on mine for a while and it was a mess.Great carb but I had to make an extension for the intake manifold to clear the right side petcock soI could use it.I could barely get my fingers in there to turn the petcock.This was a spigot type like the stock CV's so I also had to make brackets keep it in place.It was a just a bad setup and real pain in the assso I finally got rid if it.I'm running an old SU now and I love it.Same principle as the stock CV carb and I've got plenty of room now.

Um, am I seeing that right in that you have the crankcase bolts plugged??? No breathing??

Old 02-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: LoneRyder

Um, am I seeing that right in that you have the crankcase bolts plugged??? No breathing??
Fanda's bike was manufactured before the MOCO put the crankcase breathers in the cyl-heads. I think it's a late '80's.

Quick Reply: Carbuerators