Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wide glide upgrade....?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:59 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wide glide upgrade....?

Remotely considering going a to an HHI 41mm wide glide with 3 deg. rake on my bike in the futureand was just wandering if anyone else here has one. Also what your thoughts are on it, pics, etc.

I see plenty of folks on the forums that have done a conversion using 39mm on mid or wide treesbut I'm thinking that if I go to the trouble and expense that I'm not keeping the stock legs and will go for new lowers and 41mm tubes.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:19 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: wide glide upgrade....?

I tried to do that on an '07 model. Bought the stuff from a company that I won't deal with again. Anyway, since the Sportster frames changed in '04, the trees Ibought wouldn't work.
I ended up doing some "other stuff" to it instead.

What year is the one you are considering???

OldFenderGuy did a wide glide front on his I believe, and it looks great!

Old 02-16-2008, 08:42 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, there are a few places that have kits that "fit a variety of bikes" but many require mods. or they just dont work. I'm looking at dealing with Hawg Halters as they have a great rep. in the custom parts industry and make trees and complete front ends made to fit sportsters.

OFG bike is cool but I'm not a long chopper fan I just want a little rake. OFG has a chopper kit from AME I think and its like 14 degrees, they make a 9 deg. also but thats still too much and those kits cost several hundred more than HHI.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:02 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, I went with an additional 14 degrees, 8 inch over chromed steel 41mm tubes (with chromed lowers), and a special chromed 4-piston front caliper along with a Russell braided brake line. Also relocated the front turn signals to the tubes at the same time.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:21 PM
hmurder73
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man, I went with the AME kit on my 04 and simply love it. I did pay the pretty penny, but the price would be the only down fall to the kit. You say you aren't looking for the "rake" look and that is cool too. There are several perks that come with the wide front end. One of the biggest is how it handles at real low speeds and higher speeds. It is true what they say about it tracking at 100mph without your hands on the handle bars.

BTW, how much trouble did you have with your speedo relocate?

Old 02-19-2008, 03:44 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: hmurder73

BTW, how much trouble did you have with your speedo relocate?
Speedo relocate????

Not sure if the question was for me, but if so, I didn't didn't have to reloate or modify the speedo location at all.....

With the 14 degree rake the front end will go from fork stop to fork stop and there is plenty of room between the speed and tank. (Around 5/8" to spare)... No problem removing the gas cap or anything...

I have heard that you might need to relocate the speed if you go with 18 degrees of additional rake, but I've never been able to verify that one way or the other...

I like the look of the stock riser/speedo, so if there was a problem I'd probably just have a spacer fabricated (and chromed) to place under the riser. A spacer of 1/2" or less should raise the speedo up higher, even with the 18 degree over setup.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:29 PM
hmurder73
Intermediate

Naw man, The speedo question was for the CAPT dude. He has those apes and switched the speedo around. I am thinking about doing something like that.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:02 PM
billmc7
Cruiser

So you guys are saying that in addition to increaseing the rake you put a wider front tire on it as well ??

Old 02-19-2008, 05:05 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally think a wide glide is a little too much for a Sporty. They just aren't big enough for the width IMHO.

I went with a Mid Glide Accutronix kit and the bike turned out sweet! I got a lot of compliments on it.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 PM
hmurder73
Intermediate

Not in my case man, the 'Wide glide" term simply means that the forks are spread further apart. I still have the stock wheel up front and wouldn't change it. If I needed a fat front tire I would of bought a fat boy.

Quick Reply: wide glide upgrade....?