Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to switch back to cruisers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:25 AM
brainfrz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to switch back to cruisers...

Alright, quick background- I started off on a Ninja 250 4 years back, had that for a season and couldn't ride more than 30 miles until my wrists went numb. I sold it and picked up a Yamaha VSTAR Silverado- loved it but it couldn't do highway speed. I sold that and got what I've had for the past two years, a Yamaha FZ6. Now I really miss the cruisers because I wasn't getting as cocky as I am on a sportsbike. Mind you I am a youngin and don't have to much money to throw down on a bike, and I am in the market for a new one...so that leads me to where I am right now- looking at the Nightster.

I've checked all my options; Yamaha, Kawi, Suzuki, but just can't get over the design of the Nightster. So I'm pretty much sold on the damn thing, my question is- is this a bike you can ride? I do 500+ mile rides on the weekends, and my buddy who's son has a 883 said it's to rigid for long rides. Well, I'm coming from sport bikes so either way is this going to be a Cadilac?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Looking to switch back to cruisers...

Better reserve some funds for a different seat if you plan on riding 500+ mile runs.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 AM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

Yep, the number one thing that will make long rides suck is the seat. Get a good seat and you should be good for comfort. The suspension is pretty rigid, but I think you'll be fine with just a better seat. Another thing though, is that the Nightster is lowered... which means you scrape hard parts on corners quicker than other sportsters. If you're not looking to go ***** out in the corners, you're fine. If you want to get the most cornering performance possible, but really like the Nightster style, you could always get some longer shocks and springs. I won't do it just because I love the slammed look, and I don't really hustle corners as much as I used to. Just go test ride one. You'll know if you like it.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

If your planning on regular 500+ mile trips you might find one of the larger bikes more comfortable. I would certainly consider them if your likely to be rideing two up regularly.

If you can, test ride a few including the Nightster and I would also suggest including the Night Train and a Dyna. Your funds might mean looking at second hand bikes amongst these.

I havent had the opportunity to experience any longish trips on my 1200C yet, but have seenmany comments on here about people needing to stop for a break every 100 miles or so. That may largely be due to the seat as suggested above.

I certainly plan on doing much longer trips this spring and summer (if we actually get one this year), But I think most would agree the larger bikes are probably better suited to doing so regularly.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:06 PM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I came from a sportbike back ground and let me tell you if you do 500 plus mile days on a FZ6 then you can do 1500 plus mile days on a stock Nightster seat!! I like my Nightster seat a lot, get the bike and ride it before you decide to change it out.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:25 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've done 400 miles in one day on my sportser and was fine. Oh yeah that was 2-up as well so it got a bit cramped but it was do able and I would again. I would say change out the seat ASAP though.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:35 PM
MosesJJN
Cruiser

You can always RENT one for a weekend and shake it down.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:06 PM
brainfrz
Cruiser

So I guess the next obvious question would be who are providers of good replacement seats?

Old 02-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

Checkout:

Harley sundowner,

Corbin seats,

Mustang seats.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do that kind of riding real easy. There is nothing rigid on a 2008 sportster. Your friend might have been refering to the 2003s rigid mounted engines. Coming off your other bikes, the Nightster will feel like a Caddillac Escalade.

Quick Reply: Looking to switch back to cruisers...