Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to switch back to cruisers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 PM
brainfrz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking to switch back to cruisers...

ORIGINAL: Mandog

You can do that kind of riding real easy. There is nothing rigid on a 2008 sportster. Your friend might have been refering to the 2003s rigid mounted engines. Coming off your other bikes, the Nightster will feel like a Caddillac Escalade.
That makes sence because his son picked up his about 5 years ago. So having the engine rubber mounted is fairly new in the Sportsters?

Old 02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup...2004 The major differance I find between my 883 and wideglide is there is more vibration in the handle bars on the sporster. Really not that bad though.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:13 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No

If you plan mostly long trips, then get a Dyna at least.

I got both the sporty and an RKC.......The sporty is my barrel racer and I ride it to work where I cut up both directions....The RCK is my walking horse for the hwy.

If you decide sporty buy the nighty cause it's pure sic kickass.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Done plenty of 500+ trips on a sporty no probs for me or my wife. If you got a candy *** there may be a problem tho.
Its not really a bike problem its a candyass problem You will do fine on a nightster if you been riding sportbikes the comfort level is at least triple...
ORIGINAL: brainfrz

Alright, quick background- I started off on a Ninja 250 4 years back, had that for a season and couldn't ride more than 30 miles until my wrists went numb. I sold it and picked up a Yamaha VSTAR Silverado- loved it but it couldn't do highway speed. I sold that and got what I've had for the past two years, a Yamaha FZ6. Now I really miss the cruisers because I wasn't getting as cocky as I am on a sportsbike. Mind you I am a youngin and don't have to much money to throw down on a bike, and I am in the market for a new one...so that leads me to where I am right now- looking at the Nightster.

I've checked all my options; Yamaha, Kawi, Suzuki, but just can't get over the design of the Nightster. So I'm pretty much sold on the damn thing, my question is- is this a bike you can ride? I do 500+ mile rides on the weekends, and my buddy who's son has a 883 said it's to rigid for long rides. Well, I'm coming from sport bikes so either way is this going to be a Cadilac?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:11 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

Better reserve some funds for a different seat if you plan on riding 500+ mile runs.
+1

And the Sportster is *not* a cruiser. It's a Sport-Standard or Sport-Naked.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Batley
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done long trips riding two-up on my sportster, and have no complaints. I guess you need to look atthe majority of riding you will be doing, and get a good seat.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:48 AM
utexasrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are going to stop every hundred miles with the regular nightster tank anyways so its a good time to stretch out.

ORIGINAL: Photo

If your planning on regular 500+ mile trips you might find one of the larger bikes more comfortable. I would certainly consider them if your likely to be rideing two up regularly.

If you can, test ride a few including the Nightster and I would also suggest including the Night Train and a Dyna. Your funds might mean looking at second hand bikes amongst these.

I havent had the opportunity to experience any longish trips on my 1200C yet, but have seenmany comments on here about people needing to stop for a break every 100 miles or so. That may largely be due to the seat as suggested above.

I certainly plan on doing much longer trips this spring and summer (if we actually get one this year), But I think most would agree the larger bikes are probably better suited to doing so regularly.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:24 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Na on my 3.3gal tank I get 130-140 miles a tank before reserve. Which isn't a big deal on trips because I'm ready to rest a bit but as for commuting to work it sucks because I have to fill up so more. About 25miles one way and then if I have class that adds an extra ten miles.