Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 Sportie for sale Is this guy crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Newhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1985 Sportie for sale Is this guy crazy?

We should all send him low ball offers.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:10 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear this deal didnt work out. The seller sounds like trouble. I had the reverse happen to me. I had a guy look at a bike I was selling. He made me a offer, I accepted his offer, we shook hands, he said he would be back tommarrow with the cash......and he never showed up, or called ever again. End of story.

There are many people like this out there, you have to take the good with the bad.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps reliable isn't the correct word... Durable, maybe.

I had an '85 XLS1000 that I really wish I still had. I put 45,000 miles on it in two years and absolutely loved it. Sure, it broke down a time or two (or three, or four...) but the repairs were generally inexpensive to repair.

In all honesty, I admit that most of the problems I had were because of something I screwed up trying to fix something else. I had NO idea what I was doing and I shouldn't have been allowed to work on my own bike.

No matter what stupid things I did to that bike, getting it back on the road was never more complicated than calling a dealer and shelling out a hundred bucks, give or take.

ORIGINAL: 6o66er

RELIABLE IRONHEAD is an oxymoron.

Just so ya know.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't you just love people that cannot spell or express coherent thoughts in written form?

This one appears to be a real gem...

ORIGINAL: hottrocker

What's funny is that he got all hot under the collar cause I called him on it. I wanted to let him know that he was really reaching too high in his price. It is an Ironhead after all. That would have been enough but put that together with the bad paint and overall neglect that I saw and the price drops quick. The funniest thing is that he took off the rear pegs. So there was just the mounts stickin out there. So I asked what happened to the pegs. He said that he took them off but if i wanted to buy them off of him I could. HA! Do you believe that?
Here is what I wrote to him and after that his response.
What I wrote
If you have another offer you should take it. I'll be honest and say that the offer I made was more than generous. The engine sounded great and the corbin seat looked good, but pretty near everything else on the bike was way below good condition.
I could list all of what I saw if your really that interested. I'm not trying to be an ***, really! I just think that if someone wants to give you anything more than 3800 for it you should jump at it. I mean that in the most sincere way. Not trying to diss ya.
Bluebook puts that bike at 3420. The modifications I saw on that bikehave done more to devalue the bike than to add value with the exception of the seat.
So after serious consideration of what I would have to replace to make my wife like it, even my offer of 4000. doesn't stand. In the words of my wife, "It looks like a tired old bike". Sorry. Good luck with the other offer. Oh, and had you accepted the 4000 dollaroffer right then I would have honored it. Again no slam intended please take my offerings as an explanation of why we cant go with it.

His Reply
Thats fine!I thought you guys were all right but the things you said suck!!!!!!!Just because you did'nt like it or your wife didn't like it dos'nt mean anything.Thats all you had to say It's a very strong running bike and I know I can get more than $4,000 dollars for it I was going to give it to you for that price,honestly because I thought you actually could see throgh the crappy paint job and you were nice people!The motor is the soul of the bike and it's in great shape if I could put it on my other bike I would!You could haveput $600.00dollars in that bike and had a very reliable Ironhead!!!!!!!great motor,it would have cost me $250.00 to have ludlow auto body paint it,but I did it myself and obviosly did'nt do a very nice job,you said you did'nt want to diss me or slam me! but you did a good job of it,I'll never put anything on craigs list again because you're right!!!!Lot's of jerks on it!!!!!!!! Didn't mean to diss ya hottrocker, Later!

He didn't have another offer by the way, He was bluffing.

[blockquote]

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P
{padding:0px;}
.ExternalClass EC_body.hmmessage
{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}

[/blockquote]