Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakin Miniboards and Grips Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:38 AM
CMC
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kuryakin Miniboards and Grips Installed

ORIGINAL: Dale Franks

Ah, but since you took off early from work, that logic fails.
Not really. I have a really flexible schedule.
The point in comparing your hourly rate to the hourly rate you pay someone else to do work for you is the opportunity cost of your giving up an hour of your billable time. If you weren't going to be working and billing your time, then that hour's "dollar value" if you will is not the same as an hour of your day that you would have otherwise spent working at your job.

A typical 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. hour during the week at my office will cost you $260. But, since I never work on the weekends, it's not really fair or sensible to say that it costs me $260 to wash my car on Sunday morning, is it? Likewise, if you were going to blow off part of the afternoon from work, you weren't going to bill for that time anyway. Comparing the hourly rate only makes sense if you were working at your much higher hourly rate while the dealer was servicing your bike, thus allowing you the opportunity to maximize your billed revenue with no opportunity cost to you.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Likewise, if you were going to blow off part of the afternoon from work, you weren't going to bill for that time anyway.
That assumes I won't make up the time I take to go to that dealer later that day, which is a false assumption in this case. I didn't just blow off the time. I merely rescheduled it, so I could do both.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:13 PM
CMC
Road Captain

Likewise, if you were going to blow off part of the afternoon from work, you weren't going to bill for that time anyway.
That assumes I won't make up the time I take to go to that dealer later that day, which is a false assumption in this case. I didn't just blow off the time. I merely rescheduled it, so I could do both.
You're missing the point, but it would seem to be lost on you anyway. Nevermind. Your bike looks great, enjoy the ride, etc.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:03 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Areyou beginning to see folks are jealous that you took off from work and went to the Harley shop??
Damn you man!!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparing the hourly rate only makes sense if you were working at your much higher hourly rate while the dealer was servicing your bike, thus allowing you the opportunity to maximize your billed revenue with no opportunity cost to you.
OK. This is getting silly. What part of "I moved my schedule around so I still billed the same hours," do you not get? There was no opportunity cost, because I did not, in fact, forego the hourly billing I usually rack up. I just billed those hours at another time, when I usually would not have billed at all.

Opportunity cost,to be applicable,requires me to forego the billing, not simply to do it at a more convenient time.

If I both work the same number of hours, and get the dealer to install the accessories, the concept of opportunity cost doesn't apply, since I haven't foregone the opportunity to accrue the billable hours. I have only added to the nominal cost, not incurred opportunity costs.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:46 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Some people!![:@] Glad you got your boards and grips on Dale they look good.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:33 PM
CMC
Road Captain

If I both work the same number of hours, and get the dealer to install the accessories, the concept of opportunity cost doesn't apply, since I haven't foregone the opportunity to accrue the billable hours. I have only added to the nominal cost, not incurred opportunity costs.
Exactly. And since the concept of opportunity cost doesn't apply, then it makes no difference whether your rate is higher than the shop rate. You didn't give up any hours that you would have otherwise spent working at your regular rate, but rather, the dealer did the work for you in your "down time," which you wouldn't have spent working.

Therefore, the time you spent at the dealer waiting for them to install your parts wasn't comparable to your working hourly rate, since you "made those hours up later." The only way it would matter is if the dealer did the work while you were also doing billable work.

Look. I really don't care. This is a bike forum, not an econ forum. Let's let it go.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They look great Dale.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:52 AM
mpaquette
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Who's on first?

Old 02-08-2008, 12:27 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

Dale the boards and grips look great.

Does anyone have any pics of the mini boards with the flames? I have forward controls and would like to have boards, but I want the flame ones in keeping with the rest of the bike. Anyone seen them? Have them?

How do they look?

Quick Reply: Kuryakin Miniboards and Grips Installed