Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:42 AM
kylant
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle adjustment

guys,

i noticed the other day that my throttle does not open completely when fully twisted. there is about 1/4 left before the piece (where the cables attach to) contacts the stop. I looked at my service manual and figured out how to adjust it so it opens all the way, but i am confused about adjusting the idle cable.

for one, i cannot see the spring in the housing in refers to, so i can't tell if it is adjusted right. if i adjust it too far one way, the cable seems to "bind" and will not allow the throttle to return all the way. so i know that obviously is not right. i have backed off the adjuster until the cable moves freely, then gave it 1 more turn. the throttle moves freely now, opens all the way, and seems to return to idle all the way, however. there is some slack in the idle cable at the housing, is this correct?

does anyone have tip or suggestions on how to make the proper adjustments?

thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: throttle adjustment

Should be a little slack, just enough so the throttle goes back to idle. There should be no restriction keeping the carb throttle linkage from openning all the way. If there is, it could be you have the wrong twist grip(not likely but possible).

Old 02-05-2008, 11:27 AM
kylant
Road Captain

i just installed the new diamond black grips, i don't think there was any difference in the location of the cable attatchments. i don't think the throttle was adjusted correctly from the dealer upon set-up

Old 02-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealers don't usually set up throttles on a new bike... They come from the factory already pre-set... If there was any excessive "slop" in the cables it was probably due to stretsching and wear..

The idle cable does have a spring on the end of the cable at the carb to give a little "spongie" feeling in the grip. there is also a return spring on the accelerator cam that returns the carb back to idle when the throttle grip is released. After setting the throttle cable with little or no slack then set the idle cable taking up the slack with the adjustable nut.. Important to keep the throttle grip in it's return position while adjusting the throttle cable first ( assures equal tension on both cables) BTW the little spring on the idle cable is hard to see as it's down in the cable guide at the carb and acts as a little shock absorber... If the cable is adjusted too tightly things will stiffen up, too loose and there is way too much slop in the grip and the cables guides at the grip will be floppy.. Hope this helps a bit..

Damn... I hate to edit but after proofing I can't believe how poor a speller I am!! Don't take drugs... Stay in School... or instead of taking drugs.. buy them... Stay in school and keep your head down... There are crazy shooters outside!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 AM
kylant
Road Captain

Important to keep the throttle grip in it's return position while adjusting the throttle cable first ( assures equal tension on both cables)
doug,

the above statement has me confused. the service manual states just the opposite, it says to have the throttle all the way open and hold it there when adjusting the cable, am i missing something?

and just to clarify, on the idle cable adjustment, it should have just enough slack to return to idle smoothly, correct?

thanks