Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introduction ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 11:43 PM
U-Turn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction ...

Good Day All: Brand-new member here. I'll be looking to hopefully buy my 3 rd. bike this summer (It's still plenty cold, and snowy, up here in Canada). Last one was a 1985 Softail, and the one before that was, well, something less spectacular.

I'm hoping HD will offer something special for the 50th. Anniversary of the Sportster, something beyond "graphics" if you know what I mean. (No offence to you 888R fans out there) If it's something mechanically and visibly unique i'd be very interested although i'm not so sure Anniversary models tend to go that way, at least mechanically?

Failing that i'm thinking on the 883 Custom as you seem to get a great bang for your buck compared to the stock stripper 883 or 883R. 1200R though does seem to be a better deal than 1200C and only marginally more than the 883C. (And Super Glide is only a bit more than that, and Softail is only... you know where this all leads right?) Gotta draw the line somewhere. If I was to go the 1200 route, bigger bang tells me R is where its at.

Any thoughts, hopes and dreams out there for such a 2007 883 (or 1200?) Anniversary creature and opinion in general on the 883C???

signed,

Modern Day or "MD" for short to my friends

Old 01-18-2006, 12:20 AM
ecvjohn
Banned
Default RE: Introduction ...

Welcome to the forum.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

First Welcome!
Second, you need to evaluate the riding you are going to do the most of. No Harley, IMHO covers all rideing equally. That said, if your Ego will let you be satisfied with the 883C that would be my choice. It was this past June when I bought mine. I studied every angle, from initial cost, to resale value 5 years down the road. If you buy the 883 and want more power most of those here can tell you the 883 bumped will be faster than the 1200 from the factory, due to gear ratio, lighter after market pistons etc. Cost here where I am is $600 to go from 883 to 1200. Insurance rates jump fairly high from 883 to 1200 also. I ride almost exclusivley one up and have as yet to encounter a situation where the 883 was not enough. The money I saved buying the 883C went right into the bike and I ended up with slightly less in it than the factory 1200C, if I bump it to the 1200 the cost will be surpriseingly close. But I pay insurance on the 883 regardless. This is simply my opinion, the Sporty is a riders Bike, it is a motorcycle through and through, warts and all, if your Ego can handle the 883 being your bike, that is the way to go, if the Ego can't function with less than the crowds approval, then spend the extra bucks and get the 1200.
I have riden just short of 8,000 miles since June '05, and my only complaint is I have to constantly answer the question of "Why I didn't get the 1200"? or "Don't I wish I had gotten the 1200" or statements like "the Sporty is a great bike especially the 1200". Followed closely by the "Sportster has plenty of power if you get the 1200". Most of these comments come from Harley riding people too.
Look for a Sport Bob in '08, I don't think it will make it out in '07.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:19 AM
aussi 06 1200c
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: MDH

Good Day All: Brand-new member here. I'll be looking to hopefully buy my 3 rd. bike this summer (It's still plenty cold, and snowy, up here in Canada). Last one was a 1985 Softail, and the one before that was, well, something less spectacular.

I'm hoping HD will offer something special for the 50th. Anniversary of the Sportster, something beyond "graphics" if you know what I mean. (No offence to you 888R fans out there) If it's something mechanically and visibly unique i'd be very interested although i'm not so sure Anniversary models tend to go that way, at least mechanically?

Failing that i'm thinking on the 883 Custom as you seem to get a great bang for your buck compared to the stock stripper 883 or 883R. 1200R though does seem to be a better deal than 1200C and only marginally more than the 883C. (And Super Glide is only a bit more than that, and Softail is only... you know where this all leads right?) Gotta draw the line somewhere. If I was to go the 1200 route, bigger bang tells me R is where its at.

Any thoughts, hopes and dreams out there for such a 2007 883 (or 1200?) Anniversary creature and opinion in general on the 883C???

signed,

Modern Day or "MD" for short to my friends

hi
the 1200r and 1200c have the same motor so there is no more bang but it comes down to what you like
i personaly like the larger tank and forward controls etc and to go and get a 1200r then do the extras that are on a custom would be a lot more
than just getting the custom in the first place.
the same goes for the 883 i belive.
but most of all it comes down to what you like want and can afford.
regards
ant

Old 01-18-2006, 01:24 AM
RAJ
Tourer

I started out with a 05 883L. I really liked it, but I was buying stuff to make it look like the Custom, well long story short I had some problem out of the 883 and the dealer bought it back, and I got the 1200 C. I could not be more happy with my choice, I have some Bling, and I also have more power, and it gets alot of looks. Just make sure thats what you want before you buy it, I was lucky.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Slumpys1200c
Advanced

Listen to what ****** has to say. Keep your ego out of the equation and you will be fine. If you plan to do short trips by yourself, the 883 will be plenty. I have a 1200c and my wife ride 2-up all the time. I have no problem keeping up with the "bigdogs" with her on the bike. But whatever you decide, you will love the sporty! Good luck on your decision!

!!! RIDE SAFE !!!

Keith in Pa.
05 1200 custom "Lava"

Old 01-19-2006, 12:40 AM
U-Turn
Advanced
Default RE: MDH Intro & 883 C

Appreciate the advice. Ego shouldn’t be a problem. Cash is.

That's why I figured getting back in the saddle with an 883. That and I have taken several different types out on the last HD demo-days in the fall and really enjoyed them, especially the custom with the more laid back positioning. I tried the 1200C and yes, extra power is great but at the moment too rich for me, maybe future???

I didn’t try the 883C but should be same power of course as the 883L and standard 883 that I did take out. Also took out a Softail Springer Classic and that was amazing but dreamland for me right now.

Definitely leaning towards the 883C right now as looks and feel are great to me and I wouldn’t pay any attention to any criticism anyway. I'd have to put on a butt pad, and pegs minimum anyway and I also like the large tank capacity (but actually like the smaller peanut look more). The forward controls for me are the best as with the 883L I was twisting all over to get comfortable shifting and even on the standard 883 also. So by the time I changed a few things around at HD prices the custom is the best value for the less than $1,500 CDN premium above the standard one.

Still would like to see what the 50th anniversary edition will be like before I put down my cash. Most likely expensive though judging by the price of the 35th Anniv. Super Glide. Wouldn’t mind seeing a true racing version of the 50 th Sporty. Do you think they might go that route?

Most riding for me I think would be solo putts with friends and occasional short day trips of a few hundred miles tops alone or with my wife and some gear. Maybe even longer if I could have my way more often

Neither of us is overly large so probably enough speed to cruise with 2 on an 883 all day also.

Safe Riding!

Old 01-19-2006, 12:58 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you have rationalized it through very well. The 883C, needs only three mods or upgrades to be the perfect day/week-end cruiser/riders bike. Better than factory seat, Kuryakin Footpegs with Heel Rest, Sportster Pullback Handle Bars. Those three upgrades made mine the perfect bike for me, as far as ride comfort. The only other ride comfort mod I am looking into is a set of Highway bars/pegs. I'm in relatively bad shape as for arthritus, so long rides in limited positions for the knees is a pain. But that said the bars/hiway pegs are gonna have to be the perfect set-up because it is not such a problem that I am willing to sacrifice looks and form for. All other mods are cosmetic or performance related and will come as the mood changes. This is just MHO, and who am I to say.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:06 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you have rationalized it through very well.
Yeap he done did - go get the bike and post some pics

Old 01-19-2006, 11:41 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you have rationalized it through very well.
Yeap he done did - go get the bike and post some pics

Quick Reply: Introduction ...