Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got me some leather pants

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got me some leather pants

After riding in cold weather for the past few weeks with a certain part of my anatomy freezing,I decided to go with leather pants instead of chaps. Gottem at leatherup, pretty good deal. Anyone else prefer pants over chaps?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:00 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Got me some leather pants

Yeah, I've got a couple pair of leather jeans that I've had since way back in the early 1980's.

I was living back on the east coast at the timeand a guy we knew made custom leather products, and needless to say, his stuff was made to last a long time.

I wear them sometimes in real cold weather, as like any other leather products they completely block the cold wind..

Good thing I haven't gained any weight over the years as just about all the leather products I wear are what most would call 'vintage'..

Don't know much about the newer leatherproducts made today, or wherethey areactually made, but some of the older products were very heavy duty and made to last almost forever. Just treat the leather once or twice a year and you are good to go.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:10 AM
jeeplite
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have chaps for when it's really cold but have purchased some Icon waxed cotton "Super Duty" pants that seem to be pretty windproofon the more moderate days. But hey, I live in Texas and if its to cold to ride, I just wait a couple of days for it to get back up to the 70's.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

I've had good luck with my chaps. When in a pinch, fleece lined jeans underneath them do the trick for extra family jewel warmth.
The ladies seem to like it whenI wear my chaps including my ol'lady (she's the only one that counts)so I guess chaps work for me.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leather pants are nice for containing "farts"

Old 01-31-2008, 10:41 AM
cavedog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear shorts and sweats to work so I always wear my leather pants when its cold. Guess I figure it gives a little more protection to the gluteus area

Old 01-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Road Head
Road Master

I'll post back up when I get'em and let you know how they work.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

They are warmer thru the crotch and *** & cooler in the knee than chaps, depending on what you layer for clothing.

I wear a lightweight pair or long underwear to keep the wool long underwear from being scratchy. I then wear either leather pants or jeans with chaps. The extra jean layer makes the chaps warmer in the knees but still cooler in the *** area.

Once leather pants are broken in they are very comfortable.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Road Head
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Stefan

They are warmer thru the crotch and *** & cooler in the knee than chaps, depending on what you layer for clothing.

I wear a lightweight pair or long underwear to keep the wool long underwear from being scratchy. I then wear either leather pants or jeans with chaps. The extra jean layer makes the chaps warmer in the knees but still cooler in the *** area.

Once leather pants are broken in they are very comfortable.
That interesting that you say that, I noticed the ad was bragging that the ankle to knee area was lined. I guess that's why.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My two pairs of leather pants have/had a thin poly lining from the waist to the knee. My chaps are completely unlined.
http://www.usmadeleathers.com/

I wear "Domestic 16 Inch Linesman" boots in cold weather with a pair of heavy rag-wool socks.
http://www.carolinashoe.com/item.asp?ItemID=923

The boots are tall enough for me to tuck the leather pants into the top of the boots when I will be riding a long time in the cold.
Pants insulated from the cuffto the kneewould be nice in the colder months.

ps. I have had 200+ thinsulate lined "logger" boots in the past. They are warm but not quite long enough for tucking pants in the tops. Goretex gaiters also work well instead of tucking in pants.

Quick Reply: Got me some leather pants