Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got me some leather pants

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Got me some leather pants

I have a pair of "engine guard chaps" that help noticeably with the cold wind. It ain't great, but it helps. Works really well down to about 40 degrees on my short commutes, 10 miles of it at 70 mph. That's with my issued polyester/wool blend year-round uniform pants. Any colder than that and I'll wear a pair of long johns underneath. My engine guard chaps areheavy marine vinyl, because the bike gets rained on, and it's not garaged(non assigned apartment parking). I've had 'em on since the first of November, and the only problem is the pipes have scarred the vinyl. It hasn't burned through, though. Leather would be more heat resistant to the pipes, but like I said, my bike gets wet. Oh, DAMN!!!!! Now I'll NEVER be able to sell it!

I have several pieces of Under Armour, both for winter and summer...great stuff! I love it! But yes, it's very expensive. If anyone is considering UA make sure you get thecorrect size because when they say "compression fit", they ain't jokin'! They also make "relaxed fit", which is more normal. UA Cold Gear is sold separately, not as a set. If you get both top and bottom, be prepared to walk out of the store about $100 poorer. It's worth it, IMHO.

Haven't worn my leatherjeans this year yet, but I have wornmy regular chaps on a road trip, 200 miles one way...it was in the lower 40's and had rain/snow mix for 20 minutes starting the last hour of it. At night. Heavy drizzle the restof the 40 minutes. Full face helmet, bandana around the chin, HD water/windproof hoody, sweatshirt, Under Armour Cold Gear (top and bottom), jeans, chaps, Bass Pro Lifetime winter socks, and River Road engineer boots. Oh, yeah...and Joe Rocket Textile gloves (I forget the actual model). Heated grips, too. That made a potentially miserable ride completely uneventful. I was actually quite comfortable.

Look closely at the engine guards in the pic.

Teek

Old 02-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dale Franks

I dunno about leather. For a whole lot less, I have a Tourmaster jacket and pants, which I wrote about here:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2496949/tm.htm

They're very warm--at least down into the upper 30's--which as cold as it's gotten here--and they have removable, hard CE armor as well. The lining also zips out of both items for warmer/wet weather. They're wind- and water-proof, and the jacket has lots and lots of venting for warmer weather.

They've kept me riding to work nearly every day this winter.
I really like the Tourmaster stuff almost bought some, but the leather pants were only $75.00 shipped. I probably still going to pick up some Tourmaster it seems to be onsale a lot.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:58 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: StargazerXT12

ORIGINAL: BLKXL12C

Yep the UnderArmor is big with the snowmobilers. Warm thin and not bulky.
Great. I'm going to check it out this weekend. See if I can't pick some up for riding in the winter. Thanks!
Also check out the PolarTech version. They are excellent, and they are cheaper than the Under Armor. I think Walmart sells them. I think I got the top and bottoms for like $60.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

One major advantage of leather over cloth (why racers wear it) is that it lets you slide down the road. Cloth will catch on the tar and you will roll, breaking all sorts of stuff. Similar to wearing a helmet, leather isawise choice.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:14 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just started wearing some thick boxer briefs to keep that area warm under the chaps when it's really cold.

Leatherup is good though. I got my vest and my jacket from them. Very pleased!!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:08 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought some X Element boots from leatherup andI like them a lot. I also bought a leather jacket from them and it is very heavy leather and nice quality but the sizing is crap. I returned the original jacket that I ordered that was my normal size but too small and got a larger one and while it is stilla little tight it fits around me I guess except the sleeves are too damn long and they are so roomy I could shoplift a turkey in each sleeve. Last time I buy a jacket on line.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:50 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Joe Rocket textile jacket that I use for really cold days instead of my leather, it has more layers. The warmest pants that I have are a pair of Alpinestar leather jeans, great protection from the wind and a great quality product.

I've tried the underarmor and I would recommend it. I've used their cold weather gear and it really works well.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:04 PM
HDHornet
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were a chick then by all means were leather pants, haha. No wonder everyone busts our ***** for riding a girls bike.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:26 AM
MADOGA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are few oportunities for a straight man to wear leather pants.

Im not sure if riding a bike is one of them, but its mostly pretty warm herein west oz and we dont need them.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: cosmicHD

My favorite purchase this winter are the LLBean flannel lined jeans. I need to buy one or two more pair of these.

Warm on their own -- even warmer with a pair of long johns under them. My FXRG pants are getting less use so far this winter because of them.

Check them out: LLBean flannel lined jeans

They sell fleece lined as well. I liked the flannel. I think they'd be equally as warm.
If there is a BassPro Shop in your area, they have flannel lined jeans for about half the cost of LLBean. I love em. Unless it's below 30 degrees I just wear the flannel lined jeans and chaps. All is good. Gotta ad another layer when it's below 30 degrees.

Quick Reply: Got me some leather pants