Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes glowing cherry red???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 PM
fimduc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pipes glowing cherry red???

10-4 on no big deal. The key to your description of the "issue" is how long you left it in warm up mode. Fuel mixture at warm up in cold environment is rich even with FI. Depending upon how long the bike sat while warming up with a rich fuel mixture would be the determining factor on if the pipe reached the glowing temperature.

THe early air cooled BMW's like the R69 were famous for glowing the pipes at the head if left to idle to long at start up. No doubt that certain light conditions will make you noitce the pipes glowing as well. For sure glowing pipes at the head is a sure sign to mount the beast and go ride and let the "air cool" portion of the design start to work. I think your fine and if it is a timing issue as suggested, which it could be, the bike would also have some driveability issues to go along with the glowing pipes.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:39 PM
Sporty07
Cruiser

i let it warm up for about 5 mins if that , just long enought to get my glasses and lid on and thats when i noticed the glow, but after 5000 miles with all upgrades i never noticed....as with running issuses my bike does not pop spit or sputter at all, no back popping of any kind what so ever....thanks peeps....

Old 02-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Korbenw7p3c
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sporty07

i found out, from local mechanic that it is normal for pipes to get like that esp. at the head, now if it was further down pipe then i would have a problem, but he told me not to worry
My bike is new as of late December- '07 and the salesman told me that it could happen. I have not asked the mechanics there about this yet. It's too cold for it to possibly do it at this time of the year. I will be asking.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Tropical Andy
Intermediate

I have been riding and working on motorcycles for over thirty years and have not seen a red hot glowing exhaust pipe, there's definately a problem, in particular if you've noticed this while just "warming up". If your pipe is glowing then the top of your piston is glowing which could result in scorched cylinder bores or worse piston crown collapse due to extreme temp in the upper cylinder, burnt valves etc. This type of overheating will cause the oil to breakdown, darken and smell "burnt" - have you noticed this.
Causes include,ignition timing faulty (may even be crank shaft sensor or simular electronic problem), gas mixture problems or exhaust restriction(heat not being drawn away from the cylinder head properly).
Despite what the mechanic told you my advise would be to get the bike properly checked out before the problem becomes more serious.
Incidently, salesmen will tell you anything, there are a few that care, but not that many.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Sporty07
Cruiser

i talked to some riding bros of mine and a trustworthy wrench and they said its is nothing to worry about, it does happen and there is no noise in the top and no smoke out the pipes, all is ok....they said most peeps never even look and notice their pipes by the heads and see the red....

Old 02-01-2008, 08:21 PM
txoval
Road Captain

Not trying to argue, but I agree with Tropical Andy, I live in Houston where its 90 degrees most of the year and have never seen my pipes turn red, even while idling.

How long was idling? from your description it didn't seem like a long time...if it doesn't bother you leave it alone

Old 02-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, No.... No, Yes... I'm confused as you are! Carbon build-up on the inside of the pipes near the cyls... Happens and creates an inferno.. Your pipes make a sharp bend right from the get-go and that bend captures most of the escaping hot gas and fire. A lean setup or just overusing the enricher means lots more unburnt (poorly burnt fuel) causing excessive build up of carbon on the interior walls of the exhaust pipes at the elbow bends. People who haven't seen their pipes glowing are probably not having the carbon build up due to the fuel delivery system or non-restricted flow through the pipes.

I would almost be willing to bet however, if everyone were to remove their shields, let the bike set and idle and do a little throttle rocking in a dark area would see there pipes glowing!

Every bike I've ever owned had glowing pipes from my Honda 750, 550 Nighthawk, Triumph 650 Tigar, 94 Sportster, 99 Sportster Custom, 99 Road King, 03 Road King, 03 Sportster XLH 98 Heritage, 99 Sportster XLH. Haven't checked the Ultra yet but I'm sure it will glow also.

Considering all that I guess some people my feel that I have had a batch of bad bikes... ??!!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just remembered. The alloy is junk and wall thickness of the pipes is minimal. This adds to the ease to get them to glow compared to a quality set of headders & older stuff from before fuel infection.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:02 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

you know, how long did you let it idle. I let my buddies ride just sit once - after a very short time, it was v-hot. you see, harley's have this air-cooled thing? did it STOP glowing red when you actually rode off? cause the front pipe SHOULD glow hot(ter) cause it has more air to cool it...

Old 02-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Sporty07
Cruiser

well i cant tell if they glow when riding but i was assured by my mechanic that it is normal and not worry, it was 27 here north of h-town this morn...and they glowed then but i know ther is plenty of air flow when i ride....so i thank yall for your help....

Quick Reply: Pipes glowing cherry red???